Newcastle United 1 - 1 Watford (15/01/2022)

LRD

2 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

We also said anyone would have this team mid table and Bruce was shit. You can’t have it both ways 

Not sure about that, can only name a few players in our team that would get into other teams anywhere in this league.

13 minutes ago, High Five o said:

Agree he is not our "problem", but we could have played with 10 men first half, he was hopeless.

Second half better.

I like the guy, but that first half was a disaster.

Absolutely, if you could put the ball in the net without him, your carrying him. (From what I watched tonight)  Someone on talk sport said he would walk into Man U team. I’m not so sure. Tod cantwell would keep you up, as long as you ditch lacelss 

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

We also said anyone would have this team mid table and Bruce was shit. You can’t have it both ways 

This is what I’ve been saying too. You can’t have it both ways.

Bruce was horrible manager and we played very poor football with him. With Howe it is completely the same, no change at all. If you judge Bruce by that, then you judge Howe too.

Just now, LV said:

He’s had the same squad man and you’re expecting him to come in here and turn this transatlantic tanker of a shitshow round in 3 months. Unreal. 

No I'm not. The team doesn't need to do a 180, we're not cut adrift from the team in 17th and we never have been. We literally just need a bit of a lift and some tactical direction and he hasn't provided either.

Guest neesy111
2 minutes ago, LV said:

He’s had the same squad man and you’re expecting him to come in here and turn this transatlantic tanker of a shitshow round in 3 months. Unreal. 

But lots on here said a better manager would get more out of the squad etc, we aren't seeing it in terms of results really.

Just now, ManDoon said:

I honestly don't think these players were ever good enough for midtable, even if they managed it for a couple of years. There were times in all of those seasons that there was a genuinely real threat of going down. Back in 2017-18, many of you were absolutely convinced that we were doomed. We totally should have gone down last season. Players in key positions are just absolute garbage. The league has moved on a little bit, and they haven't.

1 minute ago, neesy111 said:

Having bigger doubts he was the right person for the situation we were in tbh.

The real issue is to bring in him you had to be ready to give him the players he needs to play his football.

He's made it clear he needed at least 6 new bodies in. Unfortunately they've failed to strengthen quickly enough in the key areas we need help i.e. central defence and central midfield.

It would have even made more sense to just get him the players he needed quickly even if it meant they were at a lower level for now, as he has shown he can do well with those provided they can play his style. Instead they are chasing bigger names in January when it is so much more complicated to land them. Such a bad idea.

The only thing I can cling to is that the rest of the bottom is so horrendously awful that we might actually still have a chance if we make several key signings. As bad as we have been, we should be 10 points off safety. 

It seems the team just have absolutely no belief they can see out a game, that's late concessions v Norwich, Watford and Man United.

We need incomings in the next two weeks to help convert these draws into wins, a CB and a CM is the absolute bare minimum.

4 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

Having bigger doubts he was the right person for the situation we were in tbh.

See this is it. What is the situation we were in. Wouldn’t it be some record if we survived after the first 10 games or something?

What were you expecting?

People whined at Jones who ironically got us points by shutting up the defence. 

Howe is at the end of the Ashley/Bruce shit which was clearly a piss-take. Benitez kept us going for a bit but we’re fucked. 

Unless we spend a good 200 mill in the next few weeks its game over

1 minute ago, POOT 2.0 said:

Saying a manager can't change a team's mentality is, well, mental. It's one of the very things a manager is expected to do! :lol: 

Thats one of the jobs they have, its truly mindboggling that people just let Howe get off scot free.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

The real issue is to bring in him you had to be ready to give him the players he needs to play his football.

He's made it clear he needed at least 6 new bodies in. Unfortunately they've failed to strengthen quickly enough in the key areas we need help i.e. central defence and central midfield.

It would have even made more sense to just get him the players he needed quickly even if it meant they were at a lower level for now, as he has shown he can do well with those provided they can play his style. Instead they are chasing bigger names in January when it is so much more complicated to land them. Such a bad idea.

If you haven't got the players to play the type of football you want, then you have to adapt to get results with the players you've got. How do you play a pressing game with Shelvey in your side? 

Just now, ManDoon said:

Hard to say really, Bruce is dog shit but we stayed up Fairly comfortably under him. I don’t think it’s unrealistic to expect this team to stay up 

Bruce was linking on the previous managers foresight. We’re now seeing the damage from Bruce

12 minutes ago, KaKa said:

The current centre midfield and centre defence can only play one way. Sitting in deep on top of themselves and hoofing everything away.

Until we get in new central defenders and central midfielders we will continue to struggle.

They do and it's on Howe that he's trying to get them to play in a way that they can't. We can only play counter attack with the players we have, Rafa knew it Bruce knew it, but Eddie I want to play nice possession football Howe doesn't. He's going to get us relegated. I personally hated watching Rafa's anti football but it worked and if he was in charge now we would stay up.

4 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

But lots on here said a better manager would get more out of the squad etc, we aren't seeing it in terms of results really.

And we aren’t seeing it it terms of performances either tbh

Its harsh to blame Howe to much. 14 years of the club being bang average at best and that's being generous has left its mark. It will take a while to get past that. Sadly it will cost us a spot in the Premier league. But that's the result of years of abuse.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

If you haven't got the players to play the type of football you want, then you have to adapt to get results with the players you've got. How do you play a pressing game with Shelvey in your side? 

He was never going to do that though as he has always clearly stated what his philosophy has and that he will always coach his teams to play that way, and so from that point of view he perhaps wasn't the right hire.

I don't think he could have imagined the rot that has set in with these players, and how much they would struggle to adapt after years of poor training, poor coaching, a lack of accountability and motivation.