Leeds United vs. Newcastle United: 22/01/2022 @ 3pm (No UK TV)

LRD

8 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Literally can’t say anything slightly critical on this board without you having a pop. Any other midfielder deserves a game above Shelvey, he’s been here years and has done nothing at all to warrant a start. Couple that with the energy Leeds play at, it’s literally the last game be should be playing in.

He's still out best Central midfielder, and the only one likely to create a chance from midfield or score from outside the box. I hate him btw just don't see the point in playing some one worse who won't realistically do any better.

Really needed a couple of new faces in for this as looking at our team sheet doesn't fill me with any confidence but then a glance at the bench and and not much else Howe could have done. Hope there up for this more than I am 

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Howe has the choice between Shekvey, Longstaff and Willock, it's garbage whichever way he goes.

But when Shelvey is and has been a complete liability for as long as he’s been here then the frustration he’s picked is fair imo 

1 minute ago, WillingtonMag said:

He's still out best Central midfielder, and the only one likely to create a chance from midfield or score from outside the box. I hate him btw just don't see the point in playing some one worse who won't realistically do any better.

But he's really not, Joelinton moved there and looked like Socrates compared to Jonjo. We need a hard-working, industrious midfielder to go alongside him. Heck I'd put Almiron or Shortstaff there tbh just to be a busybody.

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

But when Shelvey is and has been a complete liability for as long as he’s been here then the frustration he’s picked is fair imo 

He's offered more than both Longstaff and Willock, it's a really low bar like.

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

He's offered more than both Longstaff and Willock, it's a really low bar like.

First few games under Howe I thought he looked class and best he has been for a while, needs legs around him as he isn't test mobile but definitely our best passer and does create but not a box to box. 

Edited by HWTL

3 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

He's like Pirlo, if Pirlo had no technical ability, was completely useless when we don't have the ball, and needed winding up before knocking one of his delightful 60 yarders over the defence.

He’s like Pirlo if Pirlo didn’t exist!

Just now, HWTL said:

First few games under Howe I thought he looked class and best he has been for awhile, needs legs around him as he isn't test mobile but definitely our best passer and does create but not a box to box. 

I think he gets a hard ride sometimes. He doesn't protect the defence whilst defending, but he takes a hell of a lot of responsibility off their shoulders in the transition. We've conceded a couple of goals recently when other defenders have basically thrown it at him like a hot potato.

4 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

Shelvey started off well under Howe, but he was woeful last week.

He was. But he was very good vs Man Utd a couple of weeks before. 

Compared to Longstaff and Willock, he offers more / something other players can’t do.

But I agree the options are awful!

5 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

I think he gets a hard ride sometimes. He doesn't protect the defence whilst defending, but he takes a hell of a lot of responsibility off their shoulders in the transition. We've conceded a couple of goals recently when other defenders have basically thrown it at him like a hot potato.

I agree totally, far worse been out on the pitch lately in my opinion and I remember not that long ago people saying it was ridiculous that journalists saying he was lazy. Yes he has faults and we need improvement in that area but I think his game has improved under Howe and he now looks like he gives a shit. Him and big Joe for me out of this squad is the only 2 I'd pick in cm first looking at the squad.

Edited by HWTL

2 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

He was. But he was very good vs Man Utd a couple of weeks before. 

Compared to Longstaff and Willock, he offers more / something other players can’t do.

But I agree the options are awful!

Man Utd don’t press. Shelvey has always looked good against them because they don’t hassle him and he can take his time to pick out a pass.

I also think there’s a degree of him raising his game against the so called bigger teams