Jesse Lingard

46 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

That's not true.

Almiron isn't even PL standard. Lingard scored more goals for Wham than ALmiron has in 3 years.

I mean I know a lot of people hate him now, but this is just bullshit. He doesn't work in a struggling team in the current system, that's all.

The stats support that Almiron has been at his most effective for us through the middle, playing just in front of the midfield. He can carry the ball and will commit opposition players, but he doesn't have the delivery to be playing out wide, where he's usually deployed.

That said if we're going with an attacking midfield type role,  I'd rather see Willock there than Almiron. They’ve both had poor seasons to date, but Willock is far more of a goal threat.

14 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

I mean I know a lot of people hate him now, but this is just bullshit. He doesn't work in a struggling team in the current system, that's all.

Does he start for any team in the league?

If we released him, would another PL team pick him up?

23 minutes ago, Stottie said:

I was well up for us signing him right up to the "Etikite fee agreed" reports, with another revival after the Etikite deal collapsed.We have ended up an attacker light.

The way the Lingard deal ended though, I think Chris Waugh is probably correct in that we were right to not sign him on the terms offered, because going forward, the new regime need to establish themselves as competent transfer negotiators and not a soft touch who'll overpay for everyone.

We are in too much of a bad situation though. We should have made an exception for at least another great signing. A Lingard or a Botman significantly changes our odds of relegation, even if we overpay by £10m.

Sometimes needs must. Big teams sometimes overpay to get the right player that can be transformative.

30 minutes ago, Stottie said:

I was well up for us signing him right up to the "Etikite fee agreed" reports, with another revival after the Etikite deal collapsed.We have ended up an attacker light.

The way the Lingard deal ended though, I think Chris Waugh is probably correct in that we were right to not sign him on the terms offered, because going forward, the new regime need to establish themselves as competent transfer negotiators and not a soft touch who'll overpay for everyone.

Agree. As much as I think it would’ve been the icing on the cake this transfer window going forward and is a gamble the bigger picture it made total sense to send out a strong message of not being mugs.

11 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Fraser/Almiron to Lingard or a midfield 3 of Bruno, Joe & Lingard is transformative.

Lingard's career purple patch came at West Ham, playing in front of Soucek and Rice. He doesn't really contribute defensively so I doubt we'd stick him out wide (plus there's little to suggest he's any good there).

We'd have to play him in front of two defensively solid midfielders, which I'm unsure we have right now. 

I was pro-Lingard for this transfer window as he's an upgrade on Almiron and most likely Willock, but I'm not sure he'd he transformative.

21 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Lingard's career purple patch came at West Ham, playing in front of Soucek and Rice. He doesn't really contribute defensively so I doubt we'd stick him out wide (plus there's little to suggest he's any good there).

We'd have to play him in front of two defensively solid midfielders, which I'm unsure we have right now. 

I was pro-Lingard for this transfer window as he's an upgrade on Almiron and most likely Willock, but I'm not sure he'd he transformative.

I've seen his score some cracking goals mind. He can strike a ball at least, I've not seen that from either Fraser or Almiron so far.

1 hour ago, TRon said:

I've seen his score some cracking goals mind. He can strike a ball at least, I've not seen that from either Fraser or Almiron so far.

They'v been so poor for so long.

Lingard has massive motivation to play well. He's a favourite of Southgate. If Howe got half a tune from Lingard I would be so much more confident of staying up.

• 3 months later...

Negotiations with two of the clubs interested in Lingard are said to be at an advanced stage.

Edited by 54

A really good option for a couple of seasons if he can recapture his West Ham form. I guess he’d play right wing in the current system which is probably our weakest position in the XI at the moment.

Edited by Smal

On 04/02/2022 at 11:00, The Prophet said:

Lingard is far superior to Fraser, Murphy and Almiron. We would have scored more or give more headaches to teams having ASM and Lingard either side of striker making runs etc. - so I think transformative is fair for where we are now and have been since turn of 2022. Would it be transformative in context of next season? No - I'd see him as squad player given our ambitions for next year. I'd prefer a Bruno levels of age, attitude and potential ability type of player for that position. Comes down to whether Lingard on a free is good for FFP and we spend elsewhere versus just buying the better player now. Lingard in January would have been great, different story now for next season completely. Amazing really how much has changed in a few months.

Yeah, I think he’d serve a purpose here for a couple of years. It would make good sense for him and for us and it allows us to save the cash for some prospects who have the potential to be a major upgrade on Lingard 

1 minute ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Perfect player on a free. Fills a gaping gap in the squad for a couple of years and then we go our separate ways.

Pretty much, he's the perfect player to get us challenging for the top 6, we'll get his "prime" years. No brainer for a free.

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Do like him but not sure where he’d play. In midfield protected by Joe and Bruno? 

Anyway, Eddie knows. 

I think just because we don't play with a number 10 now doesn't mean we won't next season. We've clearly fallen into our best formation with our current set of players with the 4-3-3 but I'm pretty sure Howe favoured 2 up front at Bournemouth with Wilson and King

First one in the door once the window opens perhaps? Wouldn't be surprised.

Would allow us to sell Almiron/Fraser and recoup some money without need to spend anything on their replacement.

6 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

First one in the door once the window opens perhaps? Wouldn't be surprised.

Would allow us to sell Almiron/Fraser and recoup some money without need to spend anything on their replacement.

he's free to sign the contract now if he chooses.   If we are going after some free transfers, nothing to stop us getting them signed before this season finishes.

Edited by Awaymag

1 minute ago, Awaymag said:

he's free to sign the contract now if he chooses.   If we are going after some free transfers, nothing to stop us getting them signed before this season finishes.

He can’t sign a contract with us until his Man United one expires.

He can only sign a pre contract agreement with an overseas team.

Just now, Awaymag said:

Added benefit is the message to other transfer targets. Team is getting better and aiming higher. That would tangible evidence of it besides the January window and table position.