Newcastle United vs. Everton 08/02/2022 @ 7.45pm (BT)

LRD

27 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

One is just above us and one is midtable, if you want to stay up then you should be looking to beat these teams at home. We have miserably failed to do so in previous games against teams of this level at home  and if you keep going down that road, then there is a good chance you're going to be relegated. Didn't even mention Bruno, we should be looking to win both these games even  before he was signed.

Well we have made it difficult for ourself by not beating Norwich, Brentford, Watford. If we get relegated its because we have failed game after game against poor teams. Villa despite not being higher in the table is so much better than us and the other teams in almost every way. But yeah we should be targeting three points. 

My gut feeling is we will beat Everton and be out the relegation zone on Tuesday night. Also think we can get a result (draw?) at Villa.

I have always been 100% confident we would stay up following the takeover. This is where it starts.

Norwich, Burnley and Watford are fucking woeful....and Everton, Leeds and Brentford could all still be dragged into it...... I have complete faith that the current squad, vastly improved by the new signings, will keep us up.

At Villa or against Villa, I meant the same thing........I will be happy with 4 points out of 6 which I think we will get........ 6 out of 6 would be great, 3 out of 6 survivable, but I'm not banking on instant success....over the rest of the season our team and squad will stay up.

The relative low-keyness of the Villa fixture could actually work in our favour. Everything on Tuesday will be frantic and loud; by contrast Villa in the early Sunday game could be one of those sleepy 1-0s that the rest of the county barely register.

I know I keep banging this particular drum, but we have dropped 21 points from winning positions this season - before the transfer window too - so I think it’s safe to say that with the new boys we can win matches like this one.

Howay the fucking lads y’all.

13 hours ago, Slim said:

Just watched the goals and the keeper is to blame for 2 and horrible defending to give them 2 free headers. 

Thanks. That saves me watching them. I was curious after seeing they scored four off five attempts on target.

We need to average 1.5 points per game. That would end out season on 40 points basically. That requires us to be beating teams around us also. But as we've already mostly screwed that part up we need to be beating Everton and getting no less than a point against Villa.

I just watched the highlights of Everton's game yesterday. They looked much sharper in attack, players were moving between the lines and creating neat triangles. As you'd expect Grey and Richarlison looked their biggest threats.

That said, Brentford were really poor. They weren't quick to press and looked a bit lost in midfield. As impressive as Everton were, Brentford made it really easy for them. Their set piece defending was incredibly poor and a half fit Raya and their CBs gifted a couple of goals away.

The takeaway for me was that Bruno has to start and the midfield need to impose themselves. We can't afford their AMs space to start dictating the play, we need to push up the pitch and be aggressive. As I said above if we can break their midfield line that defence is there to be got at.

33 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

We need to average 1.5 points per game. That would end out season on 40 points basically. That requires us to be beating teams around us also. But as we've already mostly screwed that part up we need to be beating Everton and getting no less than a point against Villa.

Not this shite again. We don't need 40 points. 

7 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

How are Everton likely to line-up? Similar to Brentford will Alli coming in for Gordon?

They have 5 injuries, their CH limped off early with a hamstring injury , DCL is reportedly struggling too .

2 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

On paper this is our easiest remaining home game, if you can't see a win here then where?

If only football was that simple and linear. "We couldn't score against Cambridge so we're never going to score again" vibes.

We`ve had a stack of favourable results so far this season, keeping our woeful arses in contention for survival. In addressing our most glaring weaknesses in the window, the season starts with this game, and I`m confident we`ll have enough to win it

17 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

I'm glad you're so certain. Let's see.

But he's right, we don't need any set number of points, we just need to finish 17th. Last season 29points stops up, 28 with a better goal difference.