Bruno Guimarães: £100M release clause has expired (Various)

Fantail Breeze

1 hour ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:
  • PSG are one of the likeliest teams to pay his full release clause.
  • They probably have the means to pay a lot of his clause up-front.
  • We don’t strengthen a domestic team. Even if we’re a million miles from the likes of Man City or Liverpool, I’d rather not see him play against us a minimum of two times a season.

All true but none of those points make losing Bruno "good for all parties". What about NUFC? One, he hasn't indicated that he wants to leave yet, why manifest it in the first place? Two, you don't improve by getting rid of your best players. We tried it in the 80s with Waddle, Beardsley and Gazza and we were worse for it every time.

Different times completely but i'm a firm believer you build around your best, not cash in on them. So unless one of the 3-4 clubs in the world who could afford him pay the RC, and he is banging on the exit door, we don't even have to discuss it. If and when that happens, and it might be this summer, then it's worth talking about but I don't see a good reason to go on about it when we have half a season to play and plenty of games to try and win.

He came to us when we were rock bottom, he can stay through a few minor bumps in the road as we build towards the success that players like him deserve to enjoy with us, not playing for someone else.

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

West Ham reinvesting the Rice money are a perfect example of how selling your best player can work. Obviously hope he stays mind.

And they did it in a panic. I remember the story coming out that they advertised the positions they need to fill somewhere online.

They signed fairly well-known players in the end that had been hawked around or speculated for some time.. but it's worked out.

He is the most indispensable out of him, Botman or Isak but more to the point he’d also bring in the biggest fee. We will have to trade some of our more valuable assets to navigate FFP and reinvest for the mid-long term or until we are an established CL club, it’s just the way it has to go. 

Most fans will hate it if we sell him, but if the trend continues in terms of how well we’ve spent money so far it will be exciting to see how £100m of FFP freedom is reinvested.

Edited by Nine

Whats our results without Bruno playing? while 100m could be spun into 300m+ worth of spending it would leave a gaping hole in how we play. The only good news is while he may well be a casualty of the next step in the squad at least we know its all getting reinvested.  

3 minutes ago, Nine said:

He is the most indispensable out of him, Botman or Isak but more to the point he’d also bring in the biggest fee. We will have to trade some of our more valuable assets to navigate FFP and reinvest for the mid-long term or until we are an established CL club, it’s just the way it has to go. 

The fans will hate it if we sell him, but if the trend continues in terms of how well we’ve spent money so far it will be exciting to see how £100m of FFP freedom is reinvested.

I don’t want him gone fwiw. I understand that we’ll need to sell to buy at some point pretty soon. I’d like us to build around our best players and he is the best! What does £100million of FFP get you in spending ability?

I'm not putting money on any outcome but he does genuinely seem to love the club and in particular, the adulation he's gotten which he seems to thrive on, and would be unlikely to get at PSG as just another player. 

The money and easier chance of winning things may well turn his head as it could anyone, but he strikes me as the type that could be happy to stick it out for another year or two to see if we can kick on before jumping ship.

4 minutes ago, nufcjmc said:

Whats our results without Bruno playing? while 100m could be spun into 300m+ worth of spending it would leave a gaping hole in how we play. The only good news is while he may well be a casualty of the next step in the squad at least we know its all getting reinvested.  

Selling him could be seen as an opportunity to transition our midfield and/or formation towards an out and out DM at 6 rather than try and replace Bruno’s attributes like for like. I’d expect that would be the route we’d go down if he was sold, we’d reinvest heavily across the midfield.

Just now, Nine said:

Selling him could be seen as an opportunity to transition our midfield and/or formation towards an out and out DM at 6 rather than try and replace Bruno’s attributes like for like. I’d expect that would be the route we’d go down if he was sold, we’d reinvest heavily across the midfield.

But then why did we buy him? 

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

But then why did we buy him? 

Why does any club buy any player? 

Edited by Nine

23 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

All true but none of those points make losing Bruno "good for all parties". What about NUFC? One, he hasn't indicated that he wants to leave yet, why manifest it in the first place? Two, you don't improve by getting rid of your best players. We tried it in the 80s with Waddle, Beardsley and Gazza and we were worse for it every time.

Different times completely but i'm a firm believer you build around your best, not cash in on them. So unless one of the 3-4 clubs in the world who could afford him pay the RC, and he is banging on the exit door, we don't even have to discuss it. If and when that happens, and it might be this summer, then it's worth talking about but I don't see a good reason to go on about it when we have half a season to play and plenty of games to try and win.

He came to us when we were rock bottom, he can stay through a few minor bumps in the road as we build towards the success that players like him deserve to enjoy with us, not playing for someone else.

Feel like they're are a couple mitigating circumstances with Bruno. 

The main one being it was a freak transfer. He had been tracked by Juve and Arsenal at least, and within a couple games for us it was apparent that he was clearly one of the best CMs in the league. We had no right to get him when we did. The second, and I mentioned this in a earlier post, it's easy to think of Bruno as a kid because of his nature. He turns 27 this year, he can only wait so long for us to get back in the CL. Say next season he stays, we invest and improve, but with City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man U, Spurs, Chelsea, Villa etc our improvement is only good enough for 5th/6th. He then would face not playing in the CL (forget realistically competing for it for now) till the season he turns 29. 

I don't doubt how genuine he is being when he talks about how much he has fallen in love with the club & the area, but the lad will have personal ambition to, and has the ability to reach it. But it's a small window, and it's closing all the time. 

11 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Just stop talking about selling him FFS :lol:

We're only talking about selling him because of the clause in his contract.

There is talk of PSG paying the clause.

Completely out of the clubs hands.

19 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

It’s just the reality of it though. His representatives and our board negotiated a release clause into his new contract. That indicates an implicit understanding that he will be allowed to move on if the clause is met, and it also protects the club by putting us in a strong position to extract an appropriately large fee for him.

Every club sells players, it’s how it works. I don’t see why we’d be a special case in this regard. Other posters have pointed out how the likes of Spurs and Villa have done this over the years to good effect. 

Ashworth has been on record on numerous occasions talking about the importance of trading players and what it means for FFP.

I’m not manifesting anything, it’s just a discussion, but if you think we’re not going to be tested for players like Bruno, particularly when we’re not in contention to win trophies or even qualify for elite European competitions, you’re going to be in for a shock.

Newcastle are never going to be in a position to stop a player wanting to leave for the biggest clubs in the world. You can argue if PSG are in that bracket or not, but we’re not immune from our best players being sold (albeit on our terms and at the right price).

Personally, I think we make one high-profile sale in the summer window and I think that player will be Bruno. 

3 minutes ago, Nine said:

Why does any club buy any player? 

Well that’s exactly my point, because they need someone like him. So I don’t get the assumption that we’re transitioning to something different already. 

10 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Well that’s exactly my point, because they need someone like him. So I don’t get the assumption that we’re transitioning to something different already. 

I wouldn’t call it an assumption, we don’t even know if Bruno will be sold yet :lol: 

My point is if Bruno is sold it could be an opportunity to shift our midfield away from a technical 6 like Bruno, and signing a ready made plug and play replacement for him just isn’t realistic.

Edited by Nine

18 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Newcastle are never going to be in a position to stop a player wanting to leave for the biggest clubs in the world. You can argue if PSG are in that bracket or not, but we’re not immune from our best players being sold (albeit on our terms and at the right price).

I don't think any club in England can. There's an allure and romance to the Spanish giants in particular for a lot of players which at some point trumps everything else. Yes the Manchester clubs in particular can always pull players in the opposite direction but they still lose players who fans ideally would see staying.

There's also a factor with PSG of being the one to bring the CL there, along with living in Paris. Must be tempting for a lot of players.

1 hour ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

It’s just the reality of it though. His representatives and our board negotiated a release clause into his new contract. That indicates an implicit understanding that he will be allowed to move on if the clause is met, and it also protects the club by putting us in a strong position to extract an appropriately large fee for him.

Every club sells players, it’s how it works. I don’t see why we’d be a special case in this regard. Other posters have pointed out how the likes of Spurs and Villa have done this over the years to good effect. 

Ashworth has been on record on numerous occasions talking about the importance of trading players and what it means for FFP.

I’m not manifesting anything, it’s just a discussion, but if you think we’re not going to be tested for players like Bruno, particularly when we’re not in contention to win trophies or even qualify for elite European competitions, you’re going to be in for a shock.

Personally, I think we make one high-profile sale in the summer window and I think that player will be Bruno. 

I'm aware of all of that and I don't think i've ever stated that we can stop a player leaving if he wants to or that we won't be tested for our best players either. I may be of a more romantic ilk but i'm sick to the back teeth of reading about FFP, FMV and all the other esoteric shite that the modern game inflicts on us.

Maybe just maybe, we have a player who has seen what is possible from ground zero, has seen the warmth him and his family have been receiving and isn't in a hurry to jump ship at the first sign of slight regression to play for a club and fanbase who won't treat him with the love we have.

We have a sizeable squad, if we need to be pragmatic and trade to alleviate our financial position, yeah I get it. I don't think it HAS to be him and I really hope it isn't. That said, if it turns out he wants to leave, it stinks but there's not much we can do. I just wouldn't ever welcome it or think it's fine. Losing a key and proven player to reinvest in others that may not work out is an outcome nobody wants and could set us back a while. There's no guarantees players we replace will out-perform those that leave.

Edited by LionOfGosforth

If we sell him, I can't imagine how we'd replace him and then play as he has rare qualities 

If we bought a defensive mid / 6, say Kalvin Phillips.. Imagine a midfield 3 of Phillips, Joelinton and Longstaff... Very physical but such limited technical ability, uninspiring tbh 

Then again due to FFP we could probably buy 2 World class midfielders and bring a more attacking midfielder into the 3

4 minutes ago, janpawel said:

If we sell him, I can't imagine how we'd replace him and then play as he has rare qualities 

If we bought a defensive mid / 6, say Kalvin Phillips.. Imagine a midfield 3 of Phillips, Joelinton and Longstaff... Very physical but such limited technical ability, uninspiring tbh 

Then again due to FFP we could probably buy 2 World class midfielders and bring a more attacking midfielder into the 3

System will obviously have to be tweaked, would allow us to play a more athletic defensively capable 6 as well. 

Either way absolutely nothing to panic about.