Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

There was a little sequence second half where he lost the ball 3 times in short succession but you could tell it was down to lack of match sharpness and being in an adjustment period. 

He's going to be mega. 

12 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Wonder if that formation will be the optimal for the rest of this season?

4 2 3 1 

with Bruno and I presume JL when he’s back playing 6 and 8 and Willock ahead as a 10.

We switched to that structure yesterday actually with Bruno & Shelvey as two 6’s and Willock ahead of them with a little more license to roam and press the opposition. It certainly made us look more solid and able to gain a bit of control over a game we were struggling to impact in certain moments.

If we were to use that again, Shelvey and Bruno are ideal sit as the base and Joelinton and Willock, both of whom are ideal for the more aggressive, energetic role, would fight it out for that position.

I don’t honk JL nor Shelley are ideal for that position but needs must.

I imagine we’ll change tactics and formation based on the opponent and players available.

See so obvious to write that but had been sorely lacking for so long!

Wood’s goal couldn’t happen without Bruno. He receives it to feet off Dubravka, enjoys the press of the Southampton player, goes past him and plays a 20-yard ball through the lines to Murphy’s feet. Because the midfield line is beaten Fraser Shelvey and Targett and get up the left comfortably. But it all starts with Bruno progressing us. Class

Just now, greydos said:

Wood’s goal couldn’t happen without Bruno. He receives it to feet off Dubravka, enjoys the press of the Southampton player, goes past him and plays a 20-yard ball through the lines to Murphy’s feet. Because the midfield line is beaten Fraser Shelvey and Targett and get up the left comfortably. But it all starts with Bruno progressing us. Class

Yep, agree with that. I saw it on the highlights this morning and thought he’s basically started the whole move off. 

1 minute ago, greydos said:

That's his best quality, his ability to get the ball transitioning from the back to attack in ways that would be too risky for other players. Very smart how he does it, and it unlocks moves quicker and catches opposition out.

8 minutes ago, greydos said:

I was just watching the game back over lunch and thought the same. Shelvey can't ride challenges like that. 

8 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Fofana isn't a DM

Kamara is and would be ideal for us 

Depends how Howe wants to go. He's known as a 4-4-2er but is he wedded to that when he can build his way ? Need differing styles of centre mid for that than say a double pivot.

30 minutes ago, Manxst said:

This has him as CM

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/254562/Show/Seko-Fofana

Admittedly I've only seen him play a couple of games and then the just highlights here and there, he definitely drives up the pitch, reminds me of Yaya Toure. He won't be sitting in front of the defence and according to whoscored his tackling is his weakness, which ties in with the little I have seen of him

Man what a player he is going to be! he lost the ball at times yesterday, but i have to say, how refreshing was it to have a player in midfield who has the courage and belief in himself to take the extra touch and invite pressure in order to keep possession and play a ball that actually causes the opposition problems... loved it after years of watching midfielders for us playing it safe and shirking responsibility. Says a lot about his character and determination.

Think hes going to absolutely boss games for us once he gets up to speed.

15 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

This has him as CM

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/254562/Show/Seko-Fofana

Admittedly I've only seen him play a couple of games and then the just highlights here and there, he definitely drives up the pitch, reminds me of Yaya Toure. He won't be sitting in front of the defence and according to whoscored his tackling is his weakness, which ties in with the little I have seen of him

Fair enough. Substitute Fofana for any other DM player we’ve been linked with- there have been a fair few. The point being that we’re (still) looking to add that position and enable Bruno to play his natural game rather than making him sit too deep. 

2 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Fair enough. Substitute Fofana for any other DM player we’ve been linked with- there have been a fair few. The point being that we’re (still) looking to add that position and enable Bruno to play his natural game rather than making him sit too deep. 

I guess I was being pedantic about Fofana but aye I agree, think the plan would be to have a DM so Bruno doesn't have to do that part of the game

1 minute ago, hakka said:

Loving our Brazilian contingent. Can we get some more? Some absolute worldie pls.

Paqueta is the obvious choice cos he and Bruno are clearly close and have played together 

Edited by Geordie Ahmed