Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

46 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Needs to adapt to the pace and physicality. 

him and Shelley aren’t ideal for each other. Both lack a bit physically. 

I think we missed Joelinton in there last night - he bullies the opposition 

27 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

Just been reading on the Saints forum about Bruno's lucky goal. Apparently 99 times out of a hundred he would have put it over the bar and it was pure luck. Maybe I watched a different game

There is definitely an element of luck to that goal. Suggesting otherwise would be silly. That being said, it was clear that he pulled off a move as he intended. 

Outside of sitters every goal is luck (and even then there's an element of luck). No footballer ever has had the ability to perfectly connect with a ball and place it exactly where they want it at all times [emoji38]

Literally every single one of Ward-Prowse's free kicks have essentially been lucky. 

The better you are at something just improves the odds of pulling it off.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

2 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Outside of sitters every goal is luck (and even then there's an element of luck). No footballer ever has had the ability to perfectly connect with a ball and place it exactly where they want it at all times [emoji38]

Literally every single one of Ward-Prowse's free kicks have essentially been lucky. 

The better you are at something just improves the odds of pulling it off.

Wasn't it Jack Nicklaus that said 'the more i practice the luckier i get' ?

45 minutes ago, Conjo said:

There is definitely an element of luck to that goal. Suggesting otherwise would be silly. That being said, it was clear that he pulled off a move as he intended. 

There was nothing lucky about it whatsoever, he absolutely meant to score from it. If he had been forward facing and it was a regular volley would that have been lucky too?

10 minutes ago, Wandy said:

There was nothing lucky about it whatsoever, he absolutely meant to score from it. If he had been forward facing and it was a regular volley would that have been lucky too?

I mean you can call it what you want but anything that inherently has a probability attatched to it requires a degree of luck. Which is what Conjo is getting at I think. The lower the probability the greater the 'luck'.

It's just silly for anyone (like the Southampton fans who have apparently said this) to single out particular goals as being 'lucky' when the player has pulled off what they attempted, as they would have to concede that pretty much all of their own speculative goals are also lucky.

It's semantics but 'lucky' is usually only applied to players scoring from a misshit, or something out of their control. That is technically wrong though.

24 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I mean you can call it what you want but anything that inherently has a probability attatched to it requires a degree of luck. Which is what Conjo is getting at I think. The lower the probability the greater the 'luck'.

It's just silly for anyone (like the Southampton fans who have apparently said this) to single out particular goals as being 'lucky' when the player has pulled off what they attempted, as they would have to concede that pretty much all of their own speculative goals are also lucky.

It's semantics but 'lucky' is usually only applied to players scoring from a misshit, or something out of their control. That is technically wrong though.

Nah, I disagree. It was an outrageous strike and, just because it's not something you see very often, it doesn't make it lucky. The intent was there in a flash of his mind. Was Cisse's curler against Chelsea just lucky? Or what about Shearer's volley against Everton? Yeah both of those could have ended up in Row Z but they didn't, and the fact that the intention for those goals came to fruition doesn't mean they were just lucky.

Bruno's goal would have been lucky if he had just stuck his boot out to make any kind of contact but that's not what happened. The intention was there to clearly see.

3 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

Howe confirmed it as cramp, I believe. Also a comment about how that was a proper welcome to the Premier League. 

He is so classy. Always finding space and wanting the ball and to then progress it. Which is what our midfield desperately needs. But he did get caught on the ball a few times and lost it 2-3 times in quick succession at the end before coming off. 

Excited to see how good he can be once he has had a run of games in the side. 

:love:

Sounds like Howe knew what he was doing with him all along 🙂

10 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Nah, I disagree. It was an outrageous strike and, just because it's not something you see very often, it doesn't make it lucky. The intent was there in a flash of his mind. Was Cisse's curler against Chelsea just lucky? Or what about Shearer's volley against Everton? Yeah both of those could have ended up in Row Z but they didn't, and the fact that the intention for those goals came to fruition doesn't mean they were just lucky.

Bruno's goal would have been lucky if he had just stuck his boot out to make any kind of contact but that's not what happened. The intention was there to clearly see.

I agree with you I'm just saying if people want to play the semantics game every goal has 'luck' behind it as every goal is on a scale of probability. 

No football fan would actually call that a 'lucky' goal unless they were being disingenuous. It was a 'low probability' effort though, same as any 25 yarder.

14 minutes ago, HTT II said:

He meant it, executed it perfectly and it worked, nothing lucky or fluky about it. 

Lucky is that goal Mo Diame scored against Brighton in the Championship. He never meant it.

Bruno 100% attempted this on purpose and it come off perfectly.

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, hakka said:

Lucky is that goal Mo Diame scored against Brighton in the Championship. He never meant it.

Bruno 100% attempted this on purpose and it come off perfectly.

Now, at the time, I actually thought Diame meant that :dontknow:

24 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Cisse's goal was lucky, he admitted that he hit it an hoped, there was no intention to curl it over the Keeper and into the top corner. It was a hit and hope that ended up being the only trajectory and placement that would have ended up as a goal.

Do you mean Shear's rocket against Everton or the stupid volley against Villa? The Everton one was definitely not luck, you saw Shearer hit rockets all the time, The Villa one had an element of luck on Schmeical's positioning but not the shot execution

13 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Now, at the time, I actually thought Diame meant that :dontknow:

Actually watching it again he has sort of flinched it towards goal, but it was off a ball that was a deflection off a scuffed shot. No way he had any idea where that would end up :lol: - seemed to be hoping to flick it anywhere at goal or across goal.

Bruno knew exactly what he was doing.... and did it. 

22 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Cisse's goal was lucky, he admitted that he hit it an hoped, there was no intention to curl it over the Keeper and into the top corner. It was a hit and hope that ended up being the only trajectory and placement that would have ended up as a goal.

Do you mean Shear's rocket against Everton or the stupid volley against Villa? The Everton one was definitely not luck, you saw Shearer hit rockets all the time, The Villa one had an element of luck on Schmeical's positioning but not the shot execution

I meant the Everton volley, the one that he believes is his best ever goal. He may have struck plenty of rockets but the Everton volley was pretty unique in it's precision and technique.

I have never seen the quote by Cisse saying that he fluked it mind. Link?

Anyway, none of this distracts from the fact that Bruno's goal was all about technique and not luck.

1 hour ago, hakka said:

Actually watching it again he has sort of flinched it towards goal, but it was off a ball that was a deflection off a scuffed shot. No way he had any idea where that would end up :lol: - seemed to be hoping to flick it anywhere at goal or across goal.

Bruno knew exactly what he was doing.... and did it. 

It was purely intentional, the luck comes from the fact that it could have easily gone in to the stands if he was positioned slightly differently, he could have totally missed it and looked Joelinton in the box in a heap on the floor legs all over the place.

It's a brilliant goal, and spectacular to watch but it's not something that I think is practiced and 95 times out of 100 it doesn't work out. 

Edited by gjohnson
spelling