Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

I'd have Batty over Cabaye tbh. One was stupidly underrated and the other stupidly overrated 

David F Batty would be above Speed and Cabaye for me.  Batty was an excellent footballer - only started to become what we feared in late-stage Dalglish era NUFC. 

Just now, madras said:

When he came we tried to play him wide which he then wasn't suited to. As soon as he came inside he was very good and was worth every penny we paid for him.

He was definitely better once moved to the middle for us, but he wasn’t played out of position on the left of midfield.  He’d played there every week for Leeds, and a lot of the time for Everton.

£5.5m in Jan 1998 was a shitload of money for a midfielder 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

He was definitely better once moved to the middle for us, but he wasn’t played out of position on the left of midfield.  He’d played there every week for Leeds, and a lot of the time for Everton.

£5.5m in Jan 1998 was a shitload of money for a midfielder 

He been playing centrally for Everton for a while and although when at Leeds he'd played wide he really wasn't a winger of the type we tried to make him play.

Just now, madras said:

He been playing centrally for Everton for a while and although when at Leeds he'd played wide he really wasn't a winger of the type we tried to make him play.

Yeah, more a ‘left midfield’ than a winger (Dalglish playing him as if he were Ginola’s replacement hardly helped).

My memory on some things are fuzzy - wasn’t Speed a British record transfer paid for a midfielder at that time?  Allowing for Gazza’s sale to Lazio and Paul Ince’s to Inter being sales rather than fees paid.  It was a big sum of cash.  

12 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I'd have Batty over Cabaye tbh. One was stupidly underrated and the other stupidly overrated 

Batty was absolute class, I remember when we signed him I thought why are we buying this limited clogger. Turns out he had much more footballing ability than I imagined.

19 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Watched Speed week-in, week-out.  No rose-tinted spectacles for me - he was awful for the first couple of seasons, then a good, solid PL midfielder until he left.  Was never worth what we paid for him.  Excellent pro, not doubts about that.  

He was brilliant in his second season. You’ve got this wrong. He absolutely ran the show for us in midfield for 5 years. 

4 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

He was brilliant in his second season. You’ve got this wrong. He absolutely ran the show for us in midfield for 5 years. 

98/99?  Nah, no chance.  He wasn’t much cop for me.  Just my view, as you have yours.  Never looked any good at all under Gullit

2 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

2 game ban if he gets another yellow. Not sure if the FA Cup counts. As I don’t think the League cup does for yellows.

He has 8 more league games to get through without a ticket. 

If he can last as long as possible on the 9 until Willock and Anderson are back it'd be handy like. I know it's still a massive loss but the thought of just Miley and Longstaff as available CMs is scary.

Bruno is a much better technical player than what Speed was.... but is that what football is all about now? There's more to the game than that.

I do think Bruno is the better player but let's put a bit of respect to Speeds name. This current NUFC side would benefit from having him in our midfield. We certainly wouldn't be so soft and open.

Speed was also excellent technically, used to take the odd free kick and penalty (scored one against Newcastle for Everton) but he was much more than that. He was an absolute leader in the middle and about one of best players you could have in your dressing room.

Remember when he came back for Shearers testimonial, a Bolton player at the time, was like 34 but still better than any of our CMs at the time. A real class act. Fondly, fondly remembered.

Or if the FA Cup counts, do we get him to use it up on Saturday so he misses Arsenal where it'll take something special to get anything anyway, and Blackburn where you'd hope we could put together a Championship midfield who could still be enough to beat them.

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Or if the FA Cup counts, do we get him to use it up on Saturday so he misses Arsenal where it'll take something special to get anything anyway, and Blackburn where you'd hope we could put together a Championship midfield who could still be enough to beat them.

Was just about to say this.

We might get Willock back for Blackburn too and we won't beat Arsenal with Bruno anyway.

7 minutes ago, NEEJ said:

What's his longest run without getting a yellow? :lol:

There's a nine game spell earlier this year where he's caution-free (eight in actuality as the Bournemouth away game is among that run).

Soz to keep this too off topic but Speed's fitness record was also quite remarkable. I mean we sold him just before his 35th birthday and he went onto play 120 PL games for Bolton. He scored 8 league goals in 06/07, most of which he was 37 for. He missed 5 league games in his three first full seasons for us.

6 hours ago, Yorkie said:

There's a nine game spell earlier this year where he's caution-free (eight in actuality as the Bournemouth away game is among that run).

He went 9 games without a card, and still leads the league in bookings. That's incredible.