Dan Burn

Rich

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Maybe. I hope he can find his level again and improve. I like him as an option. But today he was at his worst. 

That’s all he should be at this stage, a squad option. 

We decided we didn’t need a starting left back but the evidence is clear we did. 

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

That’s all he should be at this stage, a squad option. 

We decided we didn’t need a starting left back but the evidence is clear we did. 

Aye that was the issue with the Hall transfer. He was never coming in as a starter. 

Livra is good at LB but he’s a square peg in a round hole there. And he needs to play more at RB to keep Trippier sharp. 

2 minutes ago, pubteam said:

It concerns me that he wasn't pulled at half time. He doesn't have the pace required from a modern fullback, let's face it he's not a fullback at all.

This isn’t the first time he’s been roasted for the first half and stayed in the pitch. It’s a regular occurrence tbf. 

Usually he comes out better at half time Though. 

Just now, The College Dropout said:

This isn’t the first time he’s been roasted for the first half and stayed in the pitch. It’s a regular occurrence tbf. 

Usually he comes out better at half time Though. 

It was apparent he had been told to sit further back in the second half and he still got roasted.

1 hour ago, geordie_b said:

Was clear from the opening minutes they had identified him as the weak link and liked their matchup against him. All first half I was desperate for him to be subbed before the inevitable happened.

….

He didn't look fit from the off. I saw him feel his shoulder a few times. I think that's the problem with a lot of the players. They all carrying knocks but we don't have the squad to rest them. And it's starting to cost us. Our game is built on our intensity which was there in the first half. But was missing in the second.

2 minutes ago, duo said:

He didn't look fit from the off. I saw him feel his shoulder a few times. I think that's the problem with a lot of the players. They all carrying knocks but we don't have the squad to rest them. And it's starting to cost us. Our game is built on our intensity which was there in the first half. But was missing in the second.

We say that. We had 70m worth of fullback on the bench. 

1 might have been carrying a fatigue knock. The other isn’t trusted. Forgot about Krafth too. 

2 hours ago, RS said:

Was targeted to perfection today.  Manoeuvrability  of an oil tanker. 

This is no surprise, I cannot believe how long we played him as a fullback (and yes I take into consideration that he did just okay in this position when asked for the most part). Can't fault his love for the club and the cause, he has certain solid attributes for a mid-upper half (6th-9th) Premier League level but I don't think he should be anything other than a substitute center back.

Edited by Amir_9

3 hours ago, Dyeyzzon said:

I hate how he almost walked back into the starting XI once he got fit.

This is my one big issue with Howe. There seems to be loyalty to certain players but not others. Burn walked straight back into team despite Tino offering more and then things like Longstaff staying on pitch ahead of Miley against Luton when Longstaff has been poor since coming back into the side. It doesn’t send a good message to the fringe players that they can get in the team and stay there when he seems so set on a first 11 when fit. 

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Aye that was the issue with the Hall transfer. He was never coming in as a starter. 

Livra is good at LB but he’s a square peg in a round hole there. And he needs to play more at RB to keep Trippier sharp. 

Livra was out run in several sprints today. Looked slower than I thought he was.

5 hours ago, Dyeyzzon said:

I hate how he almost walked back into the starting XI once he got fit.

Genuinely disappointed me that like.

Thought that when Tino came into the team and pretty much didn’t put a foot wrong and enhanced our attacking play that we would only see Burn when rotating to keep players fresh. Sadly I was wrong. 

I hate to say it but as much as he was targeted today, it was successful because Gordon wasn’t coming back to support him. We’ve seen in the past how critical a properly fit and firing Gordon or Joelinton is to securing that side defensively. I’d argue Miggy being shot on the other side has probably had some effect on Trippier being exposed in recent games too.

The sooner Murphy and Barnes get back fit and Joelinton gets back to match sharpness, the sooner we'll start to regain some of that defensive solidity back. Our wingers being able to support defensively has been a massive factor in that since Howe came here. 

2 hours ago, Jordan said:

This is my one big issue with Howe. There seems to be loyalty to certain players but not others. Burn walked straight back into team despite Tino offering more and then things like Longstaff staying on pitch ahead of Miley against Luton when Longstaff has been poor since coming back into the side. It doesn’t send a good message to the fringe players that they can get in the team and stay there when he seems so set on a first 11 when fit. 

Today he subbed off the poorest performers tbf. 

2 hours ago, Newcastle Fan said:

How the fuck did Chris Wood turn him like he's Messi.

Maybe he was shocked to be in that position.  He turned the wrong way when the pass was first made. And then could barely run. 

56 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

I hate to say it but as much as he was targeted today, it was successful because Gordon wasn’t coming back to support him. We’ve seen in the past how critical a properly fit and firing Gordon or Joelinton is to securing that side defensively. I’d argue Miggy being shot on the other side has probably had some effect on Trippier being exposed in recent games too.

The sooner Murphy and Barnes get back fit and Joelinton gets back to match sharpness, the sooner we'll start to regain some of that defensive solidity back. Our wingers being able to support defensively has been a massive factor in that since Howe came here. 

A good fullback needs to deal with his winger 1v1. The fullback is the wingers responsibility to track.   This isn’t Kilian Mbappe, its not even Bukayo Saka, it’s Anthony Elanga. A top 6 fullback should be able to play him 1v1. 

1 hour ago, Beth said:

One of Howe's favourites, obvious he will start every game if deemed to be fit.

Eddie Southgate?

but seriously, wasnt just his lack of pace today. his seemed to be all over the place concentration wise.

He looks a lot more effective when we are sitting deeper like in his first season here, where we were battling relegation and playing a totally different system. If we are going to play a high press then he's obviously one of those who will get exposed real badly because of his lack of pace if we get caught on the counter.