Dan Burn

Rich

It's not even the just getting left for dead quite often. He offers nothing going forward from open play. Yet he's driving into centre mid and losing the ball for them to go and score the 4th 

BDB getting a lot of hate tonight 😔

He had a shit game but he’s never been the quickest.. the issue is that overall the team is not defending as well as we did last year. The midfield isn’t as good, we don’t have Pope and our forwards are like broken glass.

It’s a combination of events that’s leaving certain players totally exposed to look poor. Yes he did have an exceptionally bad game but cut him some slack, he’s been brilliant for us since signing.

4 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Not sure anyone hates him, or even dislikes him.

He seems like a great bloke. He comes across really well, talks well, seems intelligent and works hard. He's a local lad living the dream, and he's been integral to the last 2 years where he's done a lot of good stuff. He has a unique attribute in being massive that can really help us out in some circumstances.

However, it's become clear his deficiencies are too large to carry him in the team and without the protection of a strong midfield and a willing runner ahead of him who can track back, he's too exposed. Nothing wrong in people pointing that out.

6 minutes ago, Jesse Pinkman said:

Nice lad but he’s not a top 6/7 left back. It’s as simple as that really. 

It certainly a black mark on Howe that he is benching a full back wonder kid over Burn.

It’s not going to be for much longer. I think Tino starts next game

12 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

He had a shit game but he’s never been the quickest.. the issue is that overall the team is not defending as well as we did last year. The midfield isn’t as good, we don’t have Pope and our forwards are like broken glass.

It’s a combination of events that’s leaving certain players totally exposed to look poor. Yes he did have an exceptionally bad game but cut him some slack, he’s been brilliant for us since signing.

Has he though, genuinely?! Bruno has been brilliant, Gordon, Botman, Isak, Schar, Trippier mostly. But Burn at his best is useful and at his worst is terrible. He doesn’t have exceptional games, he just doesn’t have that in him. Even last season when we were on the whole excellent, Dan Burn wasn’t standout. He did a mostly good job but folk were still frustrated by him. 

I do think people are blinkered by the fact he’s a Geordie and a great lad. 

I get people wanting to analyse the tactics and press etc and we probably aren't protecting him like we used to. However players were giving him 10+ yard head starts and just knocking it round him and getting it on the other side. Team's have finally caught on how easy he is to get at and you can see it by the number of the balls pinged over him. Villa midweek were just hitting it over the top of him. They tried to keep doing it once Tino came on and didn't get any joy because he was able to cover the ground.
Even other random players today other than Ogbene today were spotting they had burn ahead of them and just running him. 

It's not Burn's fault. The coaching staff know his limitations and failed to protect him or replace him when it was clear. Only thing I blame Dan for is the ridiculous pull on the lad in the area and then also marauding forward after trying to make amends and just making things even worse. 

I think it can seem like there’s a lot of animosity because he’s constantly playing ahead of more natural full-backs, who are quicker and offer more going forward, as well as seemingly being harshly dropped. Seems the loyalty to Burn is unreasonably so much higher to him than Tino. Also maybe a reaction to him getting an easier time because he’s a local and a great lad (which he is and I’m sure offers enough to the squad by his leadership alone). 

We hear a lot about how he shouldn’t play against fast right-wingers because of his lack of pace, but isn’t that pretty much every right-winger in this league? [emoji38] You can’t get away with a full-back who is that slow; you’ll just get found out. 

5 hours ago, Ketsbaia said:

Hopefully Howe's eyes have been opened, here. 

If Howe is going to start him against  quick winger then he needs to have the gems better prepared to give Burn cover and reduce the risk of him being exposed. 

I like Dan Burn, absolute asset to the club but there’s no way he should be starting at left back next season. 

Actually a decent line from Shearer that. Poor Burn, he’ll be devastated with what happened yesterday. Didn’t need fans turning on him when he knows he got taken apart 

Let’s be clear, this is in no way Burns fault. He’s a back up centre half who has made the absolute best out of his ability. 

In no way should he be playing left back in this current system. Teams just targeting him every week with great joy.

Burn has done fantastically well in his time here, but for me he should be dropped for tino, not just because of yesterday.

Doesn't mean he should never start again or can't still be a useful member of the squad.

He needs dropping for the team's sake, and maybe for his own sake too.

To be fair to Burn it is probably the tactics he is being asked to play that keeps leaving him exposed. And it is on Eddie to recognise that and either change the tactics or play someone else in that role.

2 minutes ago, Dan Gleebals said:

I have convinced myself that before the last few games, but was proved wrong each time. 

Burn’s never been subbed that early though has he?

1 hour ago, gbandit said:

Actually a decent line from Shearer that. Poor Burn, he’ll be devastated with what happened yesterday. Didn’t need fans turning on him when he knows he got taken apart 

Was it that many fans? Either way that’s shocking, people have short memories. 

1 minute ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Was it that many fans? Either way that’s shocking, people have short memories. 

I didn’t hear it in the standing section but lots of people have commented on it