Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

'that's a learning curve for him' :lol: from Neville. The top 6 Sky union goes beyond even club loyalty.

Any non-top 6 club and they'd have been calling it disgusting, premeditated, all kinds.

Edited by Kid Icarus

23 minutes ago, Klaus said:

Excluding this season, I wonder when the last time it was we were above Liverpool in the league.

Usually finished above them in the PL era and had lost twice in ten games until Dalglish took over. 

Coincidence?

Edited by Wolfcastle

10 minutes ago, 54 said:

If we're looking for a forward, we could do alot worse then JUANMI for Betis, seems a really decent talent (having only ever watched him in this one game I was only half paying attention to) :lol: 

29 year old who's already failed in the Prem. Sign him up

18 minutes ago, 54 said:

We are currently the most boring side in the league, in the sense of goals (either conceded or scored) per game, we have only hand 2 goal involvements in our two games, every other team has more. :milner: 

Bring back Ossie. 53 goals in our first 12 games that season.

5 minutes ago, joeyt said:

29 year old who's already failed in the Prem. Sign him up

Has he?, literally never heard of him, my only reference point it that's he's looked decent in this game against 10 men Elche :lol:

Manu V Liverpool next Monday is a win-win whatever the result. I really can't decide what I want more. Think Manu getting bummed again would be the funniest, but seeing liverpool with 3 or less pts from 3 games would be a delight as well.

The real winners are Citeh, unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, 54 said:

Has he?, literally never heard of him, my only reference point it that's he's looked decent in this game against 10 men Elche :lol:

I'd sign him just for the Wannadies song:

"and it's always juanmi always. And paqueta"

7 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Manu V Liverpool next Monday is a win-win whatever the result. I really can't decide what I want more. Think Manu getting bummed again would be the funniest, but seeing liverpool with 3 or less pts from 3 games would be a delight as well.

The real winners are Citeh, unfortunately.

Man City have had a game against Ben Johnson at centre back for West Ham and then Bournemouth who were just trying to keep the score down.

Let's see what happens when they start facing a bit better competition. Not convinced yet they'll be as good this year.

36 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Liverpool's XG was 1.85 and Palace's was 1.05? 

That's the sort of thing that undermines XG massively. Zaha scored a one on one and missed an open goal, Liverpool scored a long ranger and that was pretty much it.

Where did you get those numbers? Infogol has 2.34-1.49 and Understat 2.24-1.64. Think those haven’t been adjusted yet though as they have the late Andersen chance as a 0.45 when it wasn’t that good a chance imo.

Liverpool had 24 shots and loads of 0.06-0.10xG shots. Crystal Palace only had 7 shots. Zaha’s open goal was from a tight angle and neither one-on-one was that easy. Goal he scored was pretty wide again and he fucked up the first touch on the other so Allison got to a great position.

Seems pretty fair to me. :dontknow:

edit. Twitter seems to report the 1.85-1.05 the most.

Edited by Pata

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

You think I'm attacking you personally, but I just disagree with almost all of your points. I just don't think they're great.

I thought you were being hypocritical after all the fuss about Dan Burn being a poor signing because he has no resale value. Now today you're saying you think Zaha would be a great short term signing.

This is why I say you're not the most intelligent.

I've never said Dan Burn was a poor signing. Show me where I said that. I said he was a short-term signing and a stop-gap signing in the first team. What I questioned - is going back and signing the plan A in his position for top dollar in the very next window when funds are limited because of FFP. Having signed Burn, I would've kept him as first-choice for another season and prioritise RW, CM & ST. And if we were so determined to sign Botman, just push the boat out a little further in January. Because I think we are now after players a level below what i was hoping for (Harrison, Joao Pedro) in the attacking positions or falling short for fees for players at that ideal level (Maddison). In part, because we've spent £50m on LCB's over 2 windows.

Zaha is more akin to the Trippier signing. It's a quality signing, a statement signing, someone that is meant to come in and lift the quality of the team. You're not going to get your money back but what you are hoping for is genuine quality for 2-4 years and for him to make an immediate impact that gets the team up the league.

That's not the same as Dan Burn. Dan Burn was signed to stave relegation. We would sign Zaha to try and get into Europe asap.

This is a really simple point.

Edited by The College Dropout

30 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I've never said Dan Burn was a poor signing. Show me where I said that. I said he was a short-term signing and a stop-gap signing in the first team. What I questioned - is going back and signing the plan A in his position for top dollar in the very next window when funds are limited because of FFP. Having signed Burn, I would've kept him as first-choice for another season and prioritise RW, CM & ST. And if we were so determined to sign Botman, just push the boat out a little further in January. Because I think we are now after players a level below what i was hoping for (Harrison, Joao Pedro) in the attacking positions or falling short for fees for players at that ideal level (Maddison). In part, because we've spent £50m on LCB's over 2 windows.

Zaha is more akin to the Trippier signing. It's a quality signing, a statement signing, someone that is meant to come in and lift the quality of the team. You're not going to get your money back but what you are hoping for is genuine quality for 2-4 years and for him to make an immediate impact that gets the team up the league.

That's not the same as Dan Burn. Dan Burn was signed to stave relegation. We would sign Zaha to try and get into Europe asap.

You are a court jester who can't juggle or sing, or tell a story for that matter.

1 hour ago, Pata said:

Where did you get those numbers? Infogol has 2.34-1.49 and Understat 2.24-1.64. Think those haven’t been adjusted yet though as they have the late Andersen chance as a 0.45 when it wasn’t that good a chance imo.

Liverpool had 24 shots and loads of 0.06-0.10xG shots. Crystal Palace only had 7 shots. Zaha’s open goal was from a tight angle and neither one-on-one was that easy. Goal he scored was pretty wide again and he fucked up the first touch on the other so Allison got to a great position.

Seems pretty fair to me. :dontknow:

edit. Twitter seems to report the 1.85-1.05 the most.

From Sky.

Liverpool had 24 shots but there's no chance you could really consider as strong chances in the way Crystal Palace's were 

28 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

From Sky.

Liverpool had 24 shots but there's no chance you could really consider as strong chances in the way Crystal Palace's were 

That's the thing with stats, they are a guide but not definitive.

9 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

TCD makes valid points a lot of the time and people twist his arguements or just come in and give him abuse :lol:

I think it's, without getting onto other things, the rudeness about the intelligence of posters, and the arrogance about how intelligent, insightful and erudite he is compared to us mere mortals tbh. 

Don't think I've seen any abuse that wasn't retaliation. A bit of humility and mutual respect over what is literally just a sport and everyone would get on just fine.

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

You say we shouldn't have signed both Botman and Burn (even though it means never seeing Clark feature again for us, and rightly so), but I disagree. It was the right approach because it improves our squad significantly. You act as though that isn't as important in improving our chances of European qualification. But you claim it wasn't the right move because Burn has low resale value and isn't European level ability and it isn't good for FFP. Again I disagree ... low resale value was not significant with the Burn transfer because he wasn't brought in to move on for profit, and he was not an expensive signing anyway. His £13 million fee over his 2.5 year contract counts as around £5 million a year FFP wise.

You seem certain Zaha is worth bringing in at 30 years old in a position where players don't age as well, for £30 million over 3 years, because he'll have this tremendous impact on the team and you compare him to Trippier. I'm sorry but I'm not having that. Trippier was brought in for his ability yes, but just as importantly for his stature in the game and for his leadership and winning experience. Zaha brings none of those intangibles and he is not good enough to justify bringing him in at this stage of his career at £30 million and on a big wage IMO. He'd be a bigger hit than Burn FFP wise as he'd be £10 million a year over a 3 year contract, if we could even get him for £30 million, which I don't think is realistic.

We're better off going for a player that we can actually land in that £30 million range who is younger and can be brought in on a 5 year contract, which is what the club is trying to do, as it is better FFP wise. The £30 million fee over the 5 year contract counts as £6 million a year for FFP. If at any point they do move on you are also able to at least also capitalise on that with a fee, which again, is good for the FFP accounts.

I don't think Zaha is that good that we can't find a younger player close to that ability or better that can continue to improve. We'll see if I'm right once the window closes I guess.