Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

3 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Ken Early was on about this last week on Second Captains when there was a similar decision, a goal ruled out for a soft foul in the build up. Basically they seem to be taking a stance of let the game flow and don't give soft ones, unless that soft one leads to a goal, in which case disallow it afterwards.

Might as well keep giving the soft fouls if they're just going to disallow a goal if one comes from it.

10 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Ken Early was on about this last week on Second Captains when there was a similar decision, a goal ruled out for a soft foul in the build up. Basically they seem to be taking a stance of let the game flow and don't give soft ones, unless that soft one leads to a goal, in which case disallow it afterwards.

It’s as bad as the if it grazes a defender it’s a new phase of play thing. Almost worth risking not playing the ball in the hope they’re offside rather than stretching for it and just getting it but not enough to clear the ball at times. 

1 hour ago, Flip said:

:thup: 

I do agree with this, however, in this particular situation I think the decision was the correct one based on how they use the system right now, no?  He's ''clearly'' offside (those thin lines weren't touching), and clearly tries to play the ball and affects the defenders making the clearance. I just don't understand why it took the VAR refs 10 minutes to look at it and then call the ref over?

Doesn't the Eredivise use thicker lines for offsides? And has that worked better? Maybe @Unbelievable could answer this. 

Beautiful non-goal nonetheless.

No idea :lol:

One thing I do know though is that over here referees have to face the press after the game and often even get to comment on footage they are shown in front of the camera’s. Think it’s a good idea to introduce the same in the PL, where the refs are far too protected from scrutiny.

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Can't understand the debate re the VAR call. It's a clear push; comes into the back of him, two hands, push, nowhere near the ball. Clear as day for me, even if Eriksen is weak. 

I think everyone's just reached their saturation point with it after this weekend, even when it's the right call.

VAR is all we seem to talk about anymore. It was mean to be brought in to make sure clear and obvious mistakes are corrected, not to micro-manage every fucking thing, declare players offside depending on how and where lines are drawn and ruin games. Entire games get forgotten about now with all the controversy.