Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Isn’t he very close to Purslow though ?  Will that not give him a stay of execution ?

I think he's already had that stay.

Ultimately, it will be Sawiris and Edens who make the decision.

Edens with his NBA team has a back story of not fucking about with coaches.

Any particular reason why Wigan play Blackburn tonight (live on Sky), and Bristol C play Preston tomorrow (not on Sky)? They're not games in hand, and all 4 of them play on Saturday. They probably can't play the fixture further down the line for whatever reason, so getting them in now, but seems random just to have 2 Championship matches in midweek.

It's baffling how little responsibility Gerrard takes for his side's failings. They have bags of young talent coming through, it's not like the players are lacking. With the right manager they'd be finishing 9th-12th I imagine. He's a monumental wanker

9 minutes ago, Paullow said:

Any particular reason why Wigan play Blackburn tonight (live on Sky), and Bristol C play Preston tomorrow (not on Sky)? They're not games in hand, and all 4 of them play on Saturday. They probably can't play the fixture further down the line for whatever reason, so getting them in now, but seems random just to have 2 Championship matches in midweek.

Think they were both postponed following the Queen dying. Wigan will have some rugby league world cup games this month played at their stadium so that might come into play

13 hours ago, Joey Linton said:

Be interested to see whether Gerrard drops down the leagues or goes into punditry when he gets the sack from Villa as he's unlikely to get another shot in the Premier League.

Hope he drops down the leagues, wouldn't want to see him on telly. There's enough unsufferable Liverpool legends already droning their scouse propaganda.

1 hour ago, brummie said:

Honestly, saying in his post match he 'needs certain players to step forward and create something'.

No, Steven, that's your fucking job to make that happen through training. Unbelievable.

What a cunt. I supported him but the way he has reacted when under real pressure is absolutely shameful.

Horrible person.

Don’t think these comments were that bad like ??

I think he was in a way saying he’s doing the best he can ( not good enough ) and needs moments of magic to pull them through 

You look at Gerrard and you think: he's only 42, he's potentially got an entire generation in front him in terms of being a manager; maybe these early experiences at the highest level will stand him in good stead and he'll eventually make a success of it. But his character just seems far too poisonous for the modern manager; he doesn't seem to have an ounce of sympathy or willingness to take accountability. Every interview I've ever seen from him since getting into management has been the same frowning, petulant, "I expect/I demand" act, akin to the disciplinarians of a bygone era, but with barely a shred of it earned. He really is Stevie Me.

Great to see it all going to pot for him, have always found him to be one of the most thoroughly unlikable individuals in the PL. Respect his talent and his achievements with Liverpool and to a (far) lesser extent Rangers; but he's quite clearly a total arsehole. Naturally I hope Villa keep him as long as possible because broadly speaking that club is on an upwards curve and should be a rival in the 'best of the rest' pack.  

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

You look at Gerrard and you think: he's only 42, he's potentially got an entire generation in front him in terms of being a manager; maybe these early experiences at the highest level will stand him in good stead he'll eventually make a success of it. But his character just seems far too poisonous for the modern manager; he doesn't seem to have an ounce of sympathy or willingness to take accountability. Every interview I've ever seen from him since getting into management has been the same frowning, petulant, "I expect/I demand" act, akin to the disciplinarians of a bygone era, but with barely a shred of it earned. He really is Stevie Me.

Great to see it all going to pot for him, have always found him to be one of the most thoroughly unlikable individuals in the PL. Respect his talent and his achievements with Liverpool and to a (far) lesser extent Rangers; but he's quite clearly a total arsehole. Naturally I hope Villa keep him as long as possible because broadly speaking that club is on an upwards curve and should be a rival in the 'best of the rest' pack.  

He also played Liverpool for money with the whole chelsea thing don’t forget. Guy is a twat 

Lampard has more about him than Stevie G, but neither of them will be as accomplished as coaches as they were players. Howe strikes me as a relentless student of the game, but also possesses exceedingly good management skills with players, the press, etc. 

45 minutes ago, KDT said:

Michael Beale has QPR joint top of the Championship as well which adds to the point about Gerrard's lack of coaching ability.

Emi Martinez was on Ben Foster’s podcast last year, before Beale left, and said he did (and ran) all the training, and described him as having an ‘unbelievable’ knowledge on football/ training etc 

24 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

Lampard has more about him than Stevie G, but neither of them will be as accomplished as coaches as they were players. Howe strikes me as a relentless student of the game, but also possesses exceedingly good management skills with players, the press, etc. 

worth remembering, Howe has way more experience than Gerrard, and it shows. 

Just now, brummie said:

He's basically Paul Lambert with better players.

Out of interest, is there any sort of tactical pattern of play at all? As with Howe for instance, even if it doesn't always pay off, you can see similar moves time and again that have very clearly been worked on the training pitch in order to break through the lines, and we have a defensive structure that is routinely being worked on and adapted. 

18 minutes ago, 54 said:

Out of interest, is there any sort of tactical pattern of play at all? As with Howe for instance, even if it doesn't always pay off, you can see similar moves time and again that have very clearly been worked on the training pitch in order to break through the lines, and we have a defensive structure that is routinely being worked on and adapted. 

Other than Luiz trying to score directly from corners, no.

It really does smell of 'gee the lads up and send them out there', which is amazing if so as he has a huge coaching team.

I actually don't think it is that, I think he's just wound up some players pointlessly (Mings, who is a big presence at the club), chosen a few who are utterly undroppable (McGinn, who has had about 2 good games EVER in the top flight), and then banished some more (Sanson, who had a good pre-season and looks very useful, Guilbert). The result is a clearly unhappy dressing room.

Last night, Gerrard was straight down the tunnel, and of the players, Mings came right over to the away fans and talked with them. Gerrard will never understand people to the degree Mings does.

His after match interviews are absolutely awful, last night's a great example "I need certain players to step forward and create the chances". No, we need YOU to fucking coach them to do that, you're the manager.

Absolutely a dead man walking.

Edited by brummie

2 hours ago, brummie said:

worth remembering, Howe has way more experience than Gerrard, and it shows. 

I have doubt Gerrard even wants to manage at the level that's required to get to Eddie's calibre. The perception, from my perspective, he gives off is that he's gone into management to stay close to Football and the spotlight post a very good career. 

5 hours ago, brummie said:

Honestly, saying in his post match he 'needs certain players to step forward and create something'.

No, Steven, that's your fucking job to make that happen through training. Unbelievable.

What a cunt. I supported him but the way he has reacted when under real pressure is absolutely shameful.

Horrible person.

You can't really add much more than that other than. Cunt.

3 hours ago, The Bonk said:

I don't think he does. He's just gone full PFM while SG has just started the path.

Lampard's success has come from getting in good characters and fostering a team spirit. Sean Dyche can do that.

Just now, The College Dropout said:

I don't think he does. He's just gone full PFM while SG has just started the path.

Lampard's success has come from getting in good characters and fostering a team spirit. Sean Dyche can do that.

I take this back based on Brummie's reports. Gerrard seems to be an arrogant prick pissing off the dressing room and some fans. Somehow Lampard has the dressing room and fans behind him at Everton, which is a management skill/attribute in itself.

He learnt the hard way about that at Chelsea.