Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

Tell you what mind, I absolutely fucking love @brummie .

Comes in here bashes Bruce, bashes Gerrard.

Proper football fan, who knows his stuff and doesn't suffer PFM fools. I don't want Villa to do well but I hope they sack Gerrard so that our Brummie doesn't have to go through this misery.

2 minutes ago, STM said:

Proper football fan, who knows his stuff and doesn't suffer PFM fools. I don't want Villa to do well but I hope they sack Gerrard so that our Brummie doesn't have to go through this misery.

I hope they do as well but after the 29th October. :lol:

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I take this back based on Brummie's reports. Gerrard seems to be an arrogant prick pissing off the dressing room and some fans. Somehow Lampard has the dressing room and fans behind him at Everton, which is a management skill/attribute in itself.

He learnt the hard way about that at Chelsea.

Also Lampard seems to have a degree of empathy and humility towards the fans he manages. There were times last season when he looked genuinely gutted by the situation. Which is bad in the sense that he's not in full control of his emotions but at least he probably cares enough to learn how to fix a problem.

Gerrard always comes across as "I know better", after all, what could Gerrard possibly have to learn about the game of football. He is, after all, stevie G.

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I don't think he does. He's just gone full PFM while SG has just started the path.

Lampard's success has come from getting in good characters and fostering a team spirit. Sean Dyche can do that.

Defensively, Lampard has Everton in good standing (although they didn't look good against ManU). It's the other end of the pitch that they struggle. 

image.thumb.png.2a762716e6fdd2e52b1c8ffa4e7ac0fa.png

Granted, this could also be read as they're under constant pressure defensively and that their midfield sucks. :lol: 

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I take this back based on Brummie's reports. Gerrard seems to be an arrogant prick pissing off the dressing room and some fans. Somehow Lampard has the dressing room and fans behind him at Everton, which is a management skill/attribute in itself.

He learnt the hard way about that at Chelsea.

Aye, Lampard wants to be a manager and a successful one, whereas Gerrard doesn't strike me as really wanting to work at it. 

21 minutes ago, STM said:

Yes @brummie has always been the first to call out useless PFM managers who hide behind soundbites and ex-pro fame. How much better is it in the current era when the best British managers are being appreciated for their intelligence and diligence with the likes of Howe and Potter?

Honestly makes me sick when football owners keep going back to the well to dredge up football's dinosaurs.

24 minutes ago, STM said:

@brummie is a really good egg. We're lucky he comes back here to post. :lol: 

1 minute ago, Bizza said:

Absolute screamer for Man City disallowed. 

Because the ball inconsequentially brushed Mahrez’s hand in the build-up :anguish:

You could tell the ref wanted to give it too.

Lampard has made Everton difficult to beat. They look quite solid defensively and the midfield three looks well balanced and athletic. Converting Iwobi and getting those performances out of him has been quite impressive I think. 

Front 3 is quite weak but it's a solid foundation to build on. They aren't a hoofball team like Dyche I don't think. Both the goals the conceded against Man U was them trying to play through them and getting caught in possession. 

Gerrard always seemed like a player that didn't really like tactics, pretty sure he said Rafa made him a better all round player but he hated that side of the game under him. Having to work on systems, positioning and tactics. Because he could win a game from playing a 50 yard inch perfect pass into Torres or bang one in from 30 yards when they needed a winner it seems like he's expecting players he's managing to be able to do the same and then being frustrated they aren't. Seems to have a a lot of the same traits as Roy Keane does which doesn't usually translate into a good manager. 

City are the first team to miss a penalty and have a player sent off in the first half of a Champions League game since Arsenal against Bayern Munich in February 2014.

I guess that constitutes getting hauled off. :lol: 

1 hour ago, The Bonk said:

Defensively, Lampard has Everton in good standing (although they didn't look good against ManU). It's the other end of the pitch that they struggle. 

image.thumb.png.2a762716e6fdd2e52b1c8ffa4e7ac0fa.png

Granted, this could also be read as they're under constant pressure defensively and that their midfield sucks. :lol: 

Aye, Lampard wants to be a manager and a successful one, whereas Gerrard doesn't strike me as really wanting to work at it. 

These aren't stats that suggest there's great coaching going on.

Their GK is busy as are their defenders. Get good characters like Tarkowski & Coady (and players) in the dressing room, Pickford in good form and the fans behind you - yeh they'll make big saves, make the clearances and get the blocks in. Which is good management in the sense he's getting good players and characters in and they are all fully committed but that's not coaching. That's the Pardew skillset. And after all that, they are 3rd worst for expected goals against https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/Premier-League-Stats although from what i can tell they are mid-table for "big chances conceded" which are Xg shots conceded over 0.3 I think.

Also being good defensively but not being able to score - isn't a good thing. He's yet to show he's able to find a balance.

But as has been pointed out. He seems to understand management involves getting people (players, fans) to follow your plan with commitment. If he can do that, he will be ok in the short to medium term. Gerrard hasn't seemed to grasp that. The Mings thing was such a terrible move. Eddie has kept wor Jamaal as Captain and speaks highly of him... he probably gives him too many PL minutes.. but the respect is there and Lascelles has responded well. Keeping a key figure in the dressing room onside.

From what i've read - Tuchel lost the dressing room by being extremely distant.

45 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Lampard has made Everton difficult to beat. They look quite solid defensively and the midfield three looks well balanced and athletic. Converting Iwobi and getting those performances out of him has been quite impressive I think. 

Front 3 is quite weak but it's a solid foundation to build on. They aren't a hoofball team like Dyche I don't think. Both the goals the conceded against Man U was them trying to play through them and getting caught in possession. 

Gerrard always seemed like a player that didn't really like tactics, pretty sure he said Rafa made him a better all round player but he hated that side of the game under him. Having to work on systems, positioning and tactics. Because he could win a game from playing a 50 yard inch perfect pass into Torres or bang one in from 30 yards when they needed a winner it seems like he's expecting players he's managing to be able to do the same and then being frustrated they aren't. Seems to have a a lot of the same traits as Roy Keane does which doesn't usually translate into a good manager. 

I agree with most of this. He's not a hoofball manager true but I don't think he has much of a plan as to how to attack either.

Agree with your assessment of Gerrard as a player tactically. Lampard played in better teams but also learnt how to play a team role.