Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

11 minutes ago, 54 said:

Had no idea that was a rule.

Yeah, otherwise you could just run up, take a slight touch, wait for the keeper to move then slide it the other side. Needs to be touched by anyone else before you can touch it again.

52 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

These aren't stats that suggest there's great coaching going on.

Their GK is busy as are their defenders. Get good characters like Tarkowski & Coady (and players) in the dressing room, Pickford in good form and the fans behind you - yeh they'll make big saves, make the clearances and get the blocks in. Which is good management in the sense he's getting good players and characters in and they are all fully committed but that's not coaching. That's the Pardew skillset. And after all that, they are 3rd worst for expected goals against https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/Premier-League-Stats although from what i can tell they are mid-table for "big chances conceded" which are Xg shots conceded over 0.3 I think.

Also being good defensively but not being able to score - isn't a good thing. He's yet to show he's able to find a balance.

But as has been pointed out. He seems to understand management involves getting people (players, fans) to follow your plan with commitment. If he can do that, he will be ok in the short to medium term. Gerrard hasn't seemed to grasp that. The Mings thing was such a terrible move. Eddie has kept wor Jamaal as Captain and speaks highly of him... he probably gives him too many PL minutes.. but the respect is there and Lascelles has responded well. Keeping a key figure in the dressing room onside.

From what i've read - Tuchel lost the dressing room by being extremely distant.

Spot on, @The College Dropout. I'm curious to see if Lampard has the ability to overcome his current tactical limitations as a manager. He definitely has the want and is invested in Everton as a club. 

As an aside, were you aware of https://wyayescout.com/, Kev Lawson? It got him a gig at Statsbomb and was on the Pod on the Tyne this week. 

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Ref's been a joke like, was giving Chelsea everything and then does that. Ridiculous 

Didn’t make an effort to play the ball and he’s last man; them’s the laws even if it was soft on that scale.

Saying that it must be hard as a defender to not to try to get back in with a bit of pulling in the hope you can scoop a leg round or something.

1 minute ago, Disco said:

Seems overkill for when it’s inside the box mind give they tried to get away from double punishment.

Yeah that's the problem with it but once it is judged as a tug of the shoulder to warrant a foul it basically has to be a red because by definition he hasn't tried to play the ball. 

It basically has to be either no foul at all or pen+red.