Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

I really do like Brentford. For the same reasons I want Luton up, I think the impact of top level football on the wider community in that neck of the woods has been hugely positive. Hope they stick around.

13 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Urgh. Fucking neanderthals. Throw the fucking book at wankers like that and have them banned for life.

Not to piggy back on this theme particularly but they do seem to have a higher percentage of "life on the tattered fringe" bellends following them. I happened on a video on YT from the Liverpool-Everton game a few weeks back, filmed from the section right next to their fans. The amount of them acting like utter drooling maniacs, gesturing constantly, making "wall pushing" gestures, wanker signs, threatening behavior, was astounding to me. Like they came from the fucking middle ages or something.

2 hours ago, Neil said:

It's hard to really quantify how much went wrong in that clusterfuck of a game, quite a good summary of our season.

What's your opinions on Lampard's starting line ups so far? Ive noticed Iwobi has played a lot recently who I think is absolute turbo shit. Andre Gomes was in today, Delph the other day. Might have been forced? I know you dont have a great deal to choose from but in my opinion if Iwobi, Delph or Gomes started for my team Id be displeased.

Whats happened to Doucoure and Allan? Under Carlo they were both great I seem to remember, been uninspiring this season whenever Ive seen though. He dropped Gray and Townsend early doors too didnt he? Theyd been your most productive players early on so I thought that decision was strange. Imo youve got a strong 11 that if coached correctly means you'd do okay. Just seems to me he's choosing to put in what he might consider grafters in some situations rather than get the best 11 playing well.

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

Didn't realise Neil was an Everton fan, thought he was a Villa fan for some reason (probably a similar avatar or something), but fair play for still posting on here when most of the forum have been hoping they lose for months :lol:

30 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Urgh. Fucking neanderthals. Throw the fucking book at wankers like that and have them banned for life.

That's pretty fucked up. Get a grip on reality you assholes.

You’d hope it’d be pretty easy to track people down if it was inside the ground. Likewise you’d hope the club would do their utmost to facilitate such activity.

3 hours ago, St. Maximin said:

I’m going by what Everton fans have said to me, albeit a limited sample. They follow their team more than us and we get criticised for our opinions on our managers. I wasn’t pretending he has done a brilliant job as a manager, but the comments from that journalist seem pretty reasonable. 

PFM is a silly term and I don’t really care who a manager voted for. Lots of people vote Tory as you know. I don’t agree with them but they certainly aren’t all tossers. Though I realise anything remotely in defence of them is prohibited here and makes me one too so I’ll shut up. 

There is a good point here.

I’m not a Tory voter by any stretch but not all Tory voters are bad or arseholes. It’s possible for people to have a different viewpoint and still be decent folk. You can still be friends and disagree. 

I’ve really noticed over the past 10 years or so how society is polarising and hatred for anyone ‘Tory’ has become a thing. So many ‘Fuck the Tories’ signs in windows. So much demonising of other people. Which is in itself pretty bigoted behaviour. The same kind ‘Tory’ behaviour that is being decried in the first place. 

Society isn’t going to heal or progress through hate. Understanding and common ground is the way. 

8 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Could be an option in the summer. Had no idea he’d been doing so well with Leicester’s season in general.

Think he's turned down a new contract as well isn't he? 

9 minutes ago, LV said:

I’m not a Tory voter by any stretch but not all Tory voters are bad or arseholes. It’s possible for people to have a different viewpoint and still be decent folk. You can still be friends and disagree. 

I’ve really noticed over the past 10 years or so how society is polarising and hatred for anyone ‘Tory’ has become a thing. So many ‘Fuck the Tories’ signs in windows. So much demonising of other people. Which is in itself pretty bigoted behaviour. The same kind ‘Tory’ behaviour that is being decried in the first place. 

Society isn’t going to heal or progress through hate. Understanding and common ground is the way. 

Sounds like USA politics. It makes me sick TBH.

9 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Don’t think Lampard is as bad as people are making him out to be. He’s not elite but he’s not as terrible as many make him out to be.

I'd agree with this. I don't even know if most of the people who hate him even know why they do.

26 minutes ago, LV said:

Austerity and then brexit were both pursued for idealigical and selfish reasons against the received expert opinion of the vast majority of economists. These policies have been polarising and deeply damaging societally.

Having said that, I agree with your sentiment. I'm no Tory but many of my friends are and, while I can get frustrated with some of their opinions and stances, why should it affect a friendship?

1 hour ago, LV said:

So many ‘Fuck the Tories’ signs in windows.

Where are these? Literally never seen.

His lack of taking ownership of things that go wrong as well as him being a personality vacuum is as much more of a red flag as his politics and his previous around 9/11. I’d not want him anywhere near us.

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Could be an option in the summer. Had no idea he’d been doing so well with Leicester’s season in general.

Been class their last few games but I’d take Barnes ahead of him, not that I think either would move or we’ll go for.

12 hours ago, LV said:

:lol: Yeah, I can't imagine why hating the Tories has become a thing over the last 10 years like. I get what you're saying about being 'bigoted' towards the Tories and that how you might think that that in itself is 'Tory-like' behaviour like, but what you're talking about here is the paradox of tolerance - where the argument goes that anyone who themselves doesn't tolerate the intolerant is themselves intolerant, a hypocrite, and the one that's in the wrong, so the right thing to do is to allow intolerant people with intolerant views to take centre stage. 

It's an argument as old as the hills, and just one of the ways that the intolerant dig their heels in, gain ground, and the hate, lack of understanding and lack of common ground that you're talking about gets worse. All while they'll have you and everyone making this argument believe that we should all be friends, that it's healthy for us to disagree, and that we can debate our way to some kind of common ground through arguments made in good faith.

Biggest political con job going. The people who lent their vote to the Tories in 2019 to get Brexit are another matter entirely, but this idea on the left or centre that standard Tories will ever be open to the right arguments being made or reaching any common ground is naive, historically the centre and the left only ever slides towards them, never the other way around. They're not people to negotiate with. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

12 hours ago, McDog said:

Sounds like USA politics. It makes me sick TBH.

I'll go back to social media.

It's allowed people to surround themselves in echo Chambers and its made them convinced that's how the world is because that's all they see or hear... so everything else is evil or wrong.

I think the feeling is that he hasn't really done enough to warrant either the acclaim he gets from pundits or how he comes across as feeling he is a too good for this. The latter could be entirely misplaced and unfortunate. Getting his managerial start at Derby felt a bit high up, then Spygate happens which I think most think Frank was unjustified in how furious he was in retrospect. It was unfortunate that Chelsea came knocking when they did, it was too early. He maybe didn't do terribly considering circumstances, but Tuchel's very quick turning them around did show they were underperforming under him in his last season. It is difficult to hold struggling at Chelsea against a manager mind, always plenty of behind the scenes madness there. 

He then goes to Everton with the air of not wanting to go to a club fighting relegation then not realising they were. He still seems to be unable to sort out a defence but they have had a lot of injuries. Compare with say Thomas Frank who was appointed at Brentford at 2018 and is still there without so much of a whisper of anyone suggesting poach him, and yet Lampard got linked everywhere and ushered into a premier league institution or two? I think that's why he's disliked a bit.

9 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

I think the feeling is that he hasn't really done enough to warrant either the acclaim he gets from pundits or how he comes across as feeling he is a too good for this. The latter could be entirely misplaced and unfortunate. Getting his managerial start at Derby felt a bit high up, then Spygate happens which I think most think Frank was unjustified in how furious he was in retrospect. It was unfortunate that Chelsea came knocking when they did, it was too early. He maybe didn't do terribly considering circumstances, but Tuchel's very quick turning them around did show they were underperforming under him in his last season. It is difficult to hold struggling at Chelsea against a manager mind, always plenty of behind the scenes madness there. 

He then goes to Everton with the air of not wanting to go to a club fighting relegation then not realising they were. He still seems to be unable to sort out a defence but they have had a lot of injuries. Compare with say Thomas Frank who was appointed at Brentford at 2018 and is still there without so much of a whisper of anyone suggesting poach him, and yet Lampard got linked everywhere and ushered into a premier league institution or two? I think that's why he's disliked a bit.

He is also a Tory cunt.