Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

15 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Was fucking embarrassing seeing "it's never their fault though" posts on here yet again 

:thup: Too many too quick to blame Liverpool fans

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It can be true that the event was poorly organised, the police were heavy handed and Liverpool fans misbehaved. One doesn't make the others untrue.

Considering the comments were being made before what was and wasn't true was even known, I'm gonna go ahead and say it was from people with an agenda and that it was embarrassing, particularly considering the ratio of heavy handed police vs misbehaving fans.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Considering the comments were being made before what was and wasn't true was even known, I'm gonna go ahead and say it was from people with an agenda and that it was embarrassing, particularly considering the ratio of heavy handed police vs misbehaving fans.

I'd say their behaviour as a fan base to this day drives a lot of that. I've been threatened by Liverpool fans, had a mate suffer an unprovoked assault at the hands of a Liverpool fan and seen them peddle fraudulent tickets on multiple occasions. Bare in mind we've seen scenes like this at multiple games involving Liverpool, along with smashing up team buses and the like  I'd say their reputation is well earned. That doesn't excuse the horrendous behaviour of the police either.

I can only speak about fan bases I've seen up close on enough occasions to form a fair judgment. Having lived just outside Liverpool, I've seen a fair bit of the Liverpool and Everton lot.

The French police are total cunts by the way and regardless of how many fans were misbehaving the indiscriminate batoning and tear gassing of families is horrendous.

Guest neesy111
7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I'd say their behaviour as a fan base to this day drives a lot of that. I've been threatened by Liverpool fans, had a mate suffer an unprovoked assault at the hands of a Liverpool fan and seen them peddle fraudulent tickets on multiple occasions. Bare in mind we've seen scenes like this at multiple games involving Liverpool, along with smashing up team buses and the like  I'd say their reputation is well earned. That doesn't excuse the horrendous behaviour of the police either.

I've had bad experience with these lot as well.  Nothing excuses the use of tear gas etc by French police but I can bet so many of them tried to buy tickets from unofficial sources.

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

The French police are stinking, I don’t doubt they were massively at fault for what transpired.  If I was stuck in a bottle neck trying to get into a match, getting crushed I’d be kicking off as well 

Can excuse those kicking off due to that. Fans getting other people in, turning up there without tickets, climbing the fences and forcing their ways in still plays a factor.

Guest neesy111
2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Can excuse those kicking off due to that. Fans getting other people in, turning up there without tickets, climbing the fences and forcing their ways in still plays a factor.

Honestly in pinch points in any arena, if a load of fans turn up without tickets it could cause blockages really quickly if they don't get out of the way.  Suspect this caused the gendaumes to react for too much.

Edited by neesy111

Just now, ManDoon said:

Was it even Liverpool fans though, looked more like locals to me. I don’t know if any of that stuff has been confirmed to be true. 

There’s Tweets from LFC fans such as ‘sneaked my dad in’ and a photo looking chuffed with themselves.

Absolutely, you get less of a bottleneck if hundreds of fans don't turn up with blagged tickets, fraudulent tickets or no tickets at all. That said, there should have been logistics in place for it, you didn't have to look hard to find evidence that it was coming.

Guest neesy111
1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Absolutely, you get less of a bottleneck if hundreds of fans don't turn up with blagged tickets, fraudulent tickets or no tickets at all. That said, there should have been logistics in place for it, you didn't have to look hard to find evidence that it was coming.

Yeap I think that's where the issue is.  No preparation for it all by the authorities.

If we're ever lucky enough to get to a CL final, we might get to see just how well behaved our cunt/horse punching section are and how comfortable we are with being tarnished with the same brush.

When I went to Bruges and got chatting with some of the locals, they weren't complimentary about us, put it that way.  Yet all I heard about from our fans was how badly the Belgian police had treated them. Likewise Palermo.

Edited by Kid Icarus

My point was that their reputation hasn't appeared out of thin air. Every fan base has a cunt element, but theirs is bigger and more prominent than most.

Again though, that doesn't excuse the logistics outside the ground or the behaviour of the French police. All three can be true and contributed to what looked like a throughly miserable evening for all concerned.

Guest HTT II
16 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Was it even Liverpool fans though, looked more like locals to me. I don’t know if any of that stuff has been confirmed to be true. 

My mate was there and said there were LFC and Madrid fans either with snide tickets or without tickets, but the majority were locals trying to get in. He reckons if he could have guessed he’d estimate about a few hundred of those with snide tickets/without tickets were LFC and Madrid fans, he said there were thousands of none LFC/Madrid fans there that day all trying to get in.

Edited by HTT II

I honestly think the idea of Liverpool being worse than most as a set of fans is a hangover from the '80s and more correlation than causation tbh. Every set of English fans abroad has had bother - the England team, us, Leeds, West Ham, Chelsea, Man United. The only team's fans I can't ever remember getting into bother is Arsenal. Generally, I think you'd get the same bother with other teams regularly in Europe though.

Guest neesy111
15 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

My point was that their reputation hasn't appeared out of thin air. Every fan base has a cunt element, but theirs is bigger and more prominent than most.

Again though, that doesn't excuse the logistics outside the ground or the behaviour of the French police. All three can be true and contributed to what looked like a throughly miserable evening for all concerned.

People are just ignorant it seems to Athens and Istanbul.

7 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

People are just ignorant it seems to Athens and Istanbul.

Honestly, Google 'ticketless [UK team that reached a European final] fans final [year]' and you'll see how common it is. Just as an example Man United had between 10-20,000 ticketless fans turn up in Barcelona and Rome. 

Guest neesy111
2 minutes ago, huss9 said:

Martinez was a bizarre choice for Belgium coach.

He has, essentially, failed.

Thankfully the reaction to him getting linked to us was overal very negative.