Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

10 hours ago, triggs said:

Obviously Shearer and Kane's goalscoring is incredible but its nonsense really just counting from when the Premier League started

Yeah, if you’re comparing Shearer and Kane you should definitely include the First Divison goals.

Kane has played 286 PL games and scored 187 goals. If you include the First Division games, from Shearer’s first 287 top level games he scored 160 goals. That’s fairly close.

At that point, Shearer was 26 going on 27. Kane just turned 29, so Shearer had a couple years head start. Shearer had another nine seasons in him, and I can’t see Kane playing that long. Shearer’s record from that point was 272 games and 123 goals.

It does rather put it in perspective. It’s four solid goal scoring seasons, sure, but if Kane can eke out another 6 PL seasons (and Shearer managed 7 more after he was Kane’s age now) then I think he has every chance.

My Dad would want me to bring up Jimmy Greaves at this point. Shearer played 559 top flight games and scored 283 goals (just over one in two). Kane has played 286 games (about half of Shearer’s) and scored 187 goals (just under two in three).

Greaves played 516 top flight games and scored 357 goals. That’s insane. He was basically pissed for his last three seasons too and scored “only” 21 goals in 66 games. 

Guest HTT II

Records are there to be broken. Kane has been an outstanding player for club and country. I like him personally. If he does break Shearer’s record, that will have been one hell of an achievement.

4 PL matches this evening, all across BT Sport:

7.30pm

Crystal Palace vs Brentford

Fulham vs Brighton

7.45pm:

Southampton vs Chelsea

8pm

Leeds vs Everton

It feels like there's a London derby every round of fixtures, but then there are 7 London teams these days, so not unexpected.

7 Championship matches as well.