Newcastle United 1 - 0 Aston Villa (13/02/2022)

Yorkie

Dreadful game, amazing result. One of those 8 or 9 games a season where both teams are off it and 1 goal from a set piece or break will pinch it. We pinched it, just like we did at Leeds. Burn was outstanding and my MOTM. ASM was quiet but so were the likes of Coutinho, as aforementioned it was one of those dross games. 

Confident of staying up now. HTL.

37 minutes ago, Phoenix711 said:

Wow, lot of generous ratings. Thought we were pretty fortunate second half. Just like against Watford, we sat back and invited pressure, got a massive warning for the goal but fortunately Villa had no cutting edge.

Dubravka - 7 Not much to do, swept one through ball well and kept a clean sheet. Distribution bad as always. 7 for the clean sheet.

Trippier - 8 Made a few passing errors but was put under pressure a lot with no help. Important goal and offered a threat going forward which pinned Digne back for the first half. 

Schar - 7 Solid with some important interception when he stepped up into the midfield to pinch the ball.

Burn - 8 Excellent in the air and commanded the back line well. MoM for me.

Manquillo - 7 Promising when going forward and solid enough defensively. Like Trippier, because he offered some kind of threat Cash felt wary of over committing when he was on.

Joelinton - 5 Scrappy in midfield and could distribute better when he did win it. Lost possession 11 times with less than 80% pass accuracy. 

Shelvey - 6 Did well to contain the central threat and distribution was ok

Willock - 6 Quiet both ends but won some important fouls to relieve pressure. 

ASM - 4 Offered a little threat going forward but when Manquilo came off, Cash wasn't afraid to go forward and he NEVER tracked back. Threw his arms in the air complaining a lot rather than getting on with the game. Some days its not his day but he can't shirk his defensive responsibilities - all of Villa's threat second half came from both flanks.

Wood - 6 A couple of half chances, won a lot of aerial duels which went to no one but provided an escape route to relieve the pressure sometimes.

Fraser - 7 Most lively of the front three and helped back as much as possible. Look a threat, just final ball could be better.

Krafth - 6 Did well overall but lucky boy to not play Watkins onside. Offered little going forward because Digne pinned him back which invited a lot of pressure down our right.

Dummett - 6 Defensively ok but never went forward which meant Cash had less to worry about and as game grew we looked vulnerable from the flanks.

Howe - 7 We won so he gets a 7 but after 60mins when they had a goal disallowed he should have changed things up, I know we had used 2 subs but we were just inviting pressure. We were lucky that Villa got worse with Ings/Bailey vs Watkins/Buendina. The time wasting and breaking up the play helped us a lot.

Overall a good win set up by a solid defensive display in the second half. Targett back will be a huge plus but we really need Trippier fit as well. 

I feel like I could rip apart every rating here north of the defence to the point that I don't have the energy to do so. Obsurd ratings. 

Edited by Lenny

15 minutes ago, GWN said:

curious to you giving Krafth a 6 and JL 5 .

were you at the game? JL was everywhere braking up numerous opposition build up , he was fucking tremendous.

Really? He gave the ball away 11 times and only won half his ground duels (9/17). The yellow card (and he was lucky because we've seen a referee give 2 yellows in the same passage just recently and he could have had 3!) hampered him ALOT. But the times he did win, only a couple of times did he distribute well. Most of the times he never set off an attack - just one dribble and no progressive passes. Stats aren't everything but if all his job is to tackle/ intercept maybe I'd rate him higher, but he's meant to progress the ball as well and he didn't do that today. He was immense against Man Utd, he was average today imo.

To be fair both midfields cancelled each other out that the game was dictated from the flanks.

With regards to Krafth, he did his role well, he wasn't brilliant but he stopped as much as he could and wasn't beaten in behind - he got lucky with the offside.

4 minutes ago, Phoenix711 said:

Really? He gave the ball away 11 times and only won half his ground duels (9/17). The yellow card (and he was lucky because we've seen a referee give 2 yellows in the same passage just recently and he could have had 3!) hampered him ALOT. But the times he did win, only a couple of times did he distribute well. Most of the times he never set off an attack - just one dribble and no progressive passes. Stats aren't everything but if all his job is to tackle/ intercept maybe I'd rate him higher, but he's meant to progress the ball as well and he didn't do that today. He was immense against Man Utd, he was average today imo.

To be fair both midfields cancelled each other out that the game was dictated from the flanks.

With regards to Krafth, he did his role well, he wasn't brilliant but he stopped as much as he could and wasn't beaten in behind - he got lucky with the offside.

sorry mate totally disagree , he was fucking immense today at his job .

Just now, GWN said:

On a side note I thought we shithoused the last ten minutes perfectly 

We've came through a mental barrier. After the Leeds game where we showed we could finally cling onto a lead, I was a lot more confident we'd do it again today. I think a month or so ago we'd probably have conceded. 

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Fantastic battling performance. Has to be said, the shape off the ball was excellent and we never really dropped too deep.

It was looking ropey when Trippier went off, but following the disallowed goal, they never really had an opportunity. 

Thought after a nervy few minutes Krath filled in admirably.

We were well in control in the first half, but losing Trippier and then Manquillo really threw us off a bit footballing wise. Not only in losing two good right backs who can bring the ball out, but also restricted our use of subs as we couldn't afford to make any changes early in the second half as we were down to our last sub. It wasn't pretty, but these are the games which if you can win them, make the difference.