Newcastle United 1 - 0 Aston Villa (13/02/2022)

Yorkie

We were disciplined, kept structure and shape well, energy levels were good and spirit obviously high. Defence was solid overall (besides a dodgy Krafth moment) even if Villa didnt ask many questions of them, progressively in the final 3rd we were pretty bad it just wasnt flowing well around their box at all some very slack attempts at key passes if they were attempted at all. We did very well to see the game out with those injuries when you factor in our record of dropping points from leads this season. Villa were rank mind but its grinding out results in those ugly games that count. 

Edited by Nine

Glass half full but I don't think it's a coincidence that Villa, Everton, Watford and Man Utd have been varying shades of rubbish against us at SJP. I know Watford had a disappointing finale but that's the outlier from the group. We're extremely up for it at home. Even Cambridge was 'one of those games' (stick Wood in there and we probably progress). 

We're bastards to get points off at home. 

Not long back in. Proper gritty win, but deserved. No reason we can't push on and finish in a comfortable midtable position tbh. There's a togetherness and determination that Behedward's* managed to instil and that was clearly lacking under the fat buttery bastard. Trippier's a massive part of it. It's difficult to describe, sitting there seeing it first hand, the influence he's had on the ten around him. The bloke is a revelation.

*any unwashed reading, get fucked you third division tinpot cunts

13 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Glass half full but I don't think it's a coincidence that Villa, Everton, Watford and Man Utd have been varying shades of rubbish against us at SJP. I know Watford had a disappointing finale but that's the outlier from the group. We're extremely up for it at home. Even Cambridge was 'one of those games' (stick Wood in there and we probably progress). 

We're bastards to get points off at home. 

...........since Eddie Howe took over.

48 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Just had a look on Villa Talk and, wow, they are properly turning on Gerrard already. The Mackems would be proud of such kneejerking.  https://www.villatalk.com/topic/22443-steven-gerrard/page/288/

I could understand an oppositions fan being a little shocked by the result/game if one just uses league position and the well known horrific first half of the season we've had to set expectations. They may have disregarded the two wins and thought it was going to be an easy ride.

Bit early to turn on the manager though tbh.

Edited by thomas

37 minutes ago, TRon said:

What?  :lol:

Yep. According to them they have been rubbish to watch under Gerrard. I guess they know best as they watch it every week. But results seemed to show otherwise.

If our owners made the decision to give Stevie G a swerve and go for Eddie instead then its looking a good one right now.

Just thinking a few weeks back when we were being linked with everyone....

Gerard was linked as possible manager with Coutinho and Dignes linked as possible signings.....ok, we know most of it was media bollocks now..... but if it had of happened we missed three fucking curveballs there!!

I bet the Villa fans wished they hadn't let Targett come to us now. They are not happy with SlippyG.

1 minute ago, DMLeazesender said:

Just thinking a few weeks back when we were being linked with everyone....

Gerard was linked as possible manager with Coutinho and Dignes linked as possible signings.....ok, we know most of it was media bollocks now..... but if it had of happened we missed three fucking curveballs there!!

I bet the Villa fans wished they hadn't let Targett come to us now. They are not happy with SlippyG.

Has it turned that sour at Villa now? Doesn't seem that long ago I was still seeing 'we should've gone for Gerrard' type comments. 

1 minute ago, wormy said:

Has it turned that sour at Villa now? Doesn't seem that long ago I was still seeing 'we should've gone for Gerrard' type comments. 

They're not happy, there's a link on here a few posts earlier. I think when we were managerless and had no idea who was coming in people were happy for Gerrard (lets face it, anyone was gonna be an improvement on Bruce) but once EH was announced I think most people got behind him.

Personally I've always hated SlippyG so never wanted him, can't stand the twat.

7 minutes ago, wormy said:

I read on VillaTalk that they've got 5 points from 21 since he took over. A worse ratio than Smith.