Newcastle United 1 - 0 Aston Villa (13/02/2022)

Yorkie

https://www.themag.co.uk/2022/02/steven-gerrard-on-newcastle-united-var-decision-and-stunning-statistic/

Good comments from Gerrard like, the kind you want to hear as a fan

“Sometimes you perform to a level where you make your own luck…but our level was nowhere near today, so we got what we deserved from this game.

“It might have been different if that [Watkins’ disallowed goal] had gone in our favour….but we’d be clutching at straws if we were pointing fingers towards VAR.

“I don’t think Newcastle have had to play ever so well to beat us, that’s a big frustration as well.

“It was a really bad day for us and I was surprised with the performance we gave.

“There were no signs of that in the preparation and collectively we need to improve. 

“There is a lot of work to do and changes to be made in the team as well.

“We slightly improved after the break and we had 10 or 15 minutes when we pushed, but in terms of what we created in the game, that was a concern.

“We had one shot on target and the goal we conceded was poor from our point of view.

“VAR have took a long time to make a decision and that tells you it’s extremely close.

“We have no complaints with the outcome.

“We have to be careful we don’t get dragged down.”

Really impressed with us again off the ball, very Rafa like. Villa were poor I thought, for all their possession second half they didn’t threaten and were very powder puff. They were poor I thought and you wouldn’t know Coutinho was even on the pitch!

31 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

I read on VillaTalk that they've got 5 points from 21 since he took over. A worse ratio than Smith.

That can’t be right. He won 4 in a row at some point didn’t he? Couldn’t of all been cup games.

Pawson btw was absolutely shite. I thought McGinn was lucky to be on the pitch, he committed 2 stonewall yellow card offences in the first half and was only booked for 1 of them. Digne also should've been booked but HT was blown for when the ball went out during the phase of play he committed the offence. Stop-start feel to the game in the 2nd half which is probably why the game as a spectacle was fairly rank.

4 minutes ago, LFEE said:

That can’t be right. He won 4 in a row at some point didn’t he? Couldn’t of all been cup games.

Can’t recall when Gerrard arrived, but they’ve only won 3 games in total since the start of December (Leics, Norwich and Everton, all in the league). Played 11, lost 5 and drawn 3.

5 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Pawson btw was absolutely shite. I thought McGinn was lucky to be on the pitch, he committed 2 stonewall yellow card offences in the first half and was only booked for 1 of them. Digne also should've been booked but HT was blown for when the ball went out during the phase of play he committed the offence. Stop-start feel to the game in the 2nd half which is probably why the game as a spectacle was fairly rank.

Cunt was absolutely useless. Does he want to make it a no-contact sport? There were shoulder-to-shoulder incidents for both sides he was blowing for.

20 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Mings has been poor this season and Konsa is easily better. Quite like Hause too. McGinn is generally overrated imo. Too quiet too often.

I just think McGinn runs around a lot, sticks his arse into every tackle and occasionally scores a long ranger.

Thought he should have picked up two yellows today

I didn’t realise Gerrard had been in charge as long as he has - for some reason had convinced myself that Man Utd 2-2 was his first game.

I thought Villa were extremely ordinary. They actually played into our hands quite a lot by throwing themselves to the floor and slowing the game down and making it so stop-start.

Burn, Fraser and Schar were outstanding today. Thought Willock and Joelinton both played well too.

13 minutes ago, LFEE said:

He’s won 5 games alone in the league out of 13. What you both checking? 🙂

Gerrard won three out of his first four games (lost the third one to Man City) in November. He won mid Dec against Norwich, then didn’t win again until 22nd Jan against Everton. Played 13 (12 PL and 1 FAC), won 5, lost 6 and drawn 2. They’ve only won 2 out of their last 9 games.

Edited by Manxst

18 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Gerrard won three out of his first four games (lost the third one to Man City) in November. He won mid Dec against Norwich, then didn’t win again until 22nd Jan against Everton. Played 13 (12 PL and 1 FAC), won 5, lost 6 and drawn 2. They’ve only won 2 out of their last 9 games.

So he’s got 17 points not 5.

1 hour ago, dcmk said:

As happy as I am about the result..

It's annoying as hell that can't get through a game without picking up injuries.

Shame Wood can't get injured  as he's shite!

Asm also needs to stop thinking he's Lionel Messi, instead of "Usually Messy "

Just saying like.