Brentford 0 - 2 Newcastle United (26/02/2022)

BlueStar

No intent to harm but is a red card based on the "endangering an opponent" rule.

Either way, that helped us massively, would've been a far tighter game if not. Still we would've have won but not as comfortably.

Thought murphy, krafth and burn weren't so good today (krafth was same level i.e. very normal).

Big Joe, Fraser and schar were excellent.

All round, we completely dominated them, only half chances for them at best.

Really solid with both ASM  and Manquillo to come back in... Top form!

Was quite busy at work while the game was on, was absolutely certain VAR was looking for a reason to send Targett off. Was fuming when I saw the red card, as I hadn't seen the incident properly and thought it was given against Targett for a tackle from behind or something :lol:

1 minute ago, Nobody said:

Was quite busy at work while the game was on, was absolutely certain VAR was looking for a reason to send Targett off. Was fuming when I saw the red card, as I hadn't seen the incident properly and thought it was given against Targett for a tackle from behind or something :lol:

Same here, my river froze, then jumped and froze again literally on Dean reaching to his back pocket, then we have a free kick, I'm thinking someone must've said something but who ? I ended up with the radio match commentary on, SSN, a river and jumping i nto this place.......and women say men cant multi task!

6 minutes ago, Nobody said:

I'll be honest, given the fact that they called the foul on Newcastle I thought Targett was off too. Blew my mind when they lost a man ala Clark against Norwich.

1 minute ago, McDog said:

I'll be honest, given the fact that they called the foul on Newcastle I thought Targett was off too. Blew my mind when they lost a man ala Clark against Norwich.

Hey, that was Kieran Clarke's finest moment, he obviously saw Joes midfield capabilities but they werent being utilised. "How do I force this ?" thinks Kieran, "if I get sent off right now I bet they'll drop Joe into the middle...oh well, here goes" and he was right.

1 hour ago, The Butcher said:

Brentford were really unlucky with the red. The player just tried to shield the ball and caught Targett in the process. Nowt malicious in it, but I can see why Dean's given it.

If you run someone over by accident, you still ran them over...

1 hour ago, The Butcher said:

Brentford were really unlucky with the red. The player just tried to shield the ball and caught Targett in the process. Nowt malicious in it, but I can see why Dean's given it.

disagree with the "shielding" description.

challenge gets worse the more you see it.

the guy actually jumps up and is completely off the ground before coming down on targett's leg.

2 hours ago, The Butcher said:

I don't think there was any intent, but it doesn't mean it wasn't reckless as fuck. He could've killed him!

1 hour ago, madras said:

Hey, that was Kieran Clarke's finest moment, he obviously saw Joes midfield capabilities but they werent being utilised. "How do I force this ?" thinks Kieran, "if I get sent off right now I bet they'll drop Joe into the middle...oh well, here goes" and he was right.

:joelinton:

Deffo red card with the benefit of replay, although hard to spot at first.

The team responded brilliantly to a difficult 10 man formation and the sending off seemed to to give the Bees a buzz, especially with Toney and Erickson in wait to come on. They played better with 10 than 11. But we were professional, did what we had to do and got the 3 points (without trying too hard!)

TBF I think we would have won 11 against 11.

Finally got a team we can be proud of.

If it was Dasilva trying to shield the ball, then he must be a shit footballer, to be honest. The ball was nowhere near, and the slow motion replay looked damning as anything. Made me think of De Jong on Ben Arfa...the way that Targett just bandaged his leg up and then later helped set up the goal endeared him so much more to me. A proper soldier.

14 minutes ago, elbee909 said:

I saw someone somewhere say the only reason we're winning is because we've not been up against any form teams. That's up there with 'you've only won because the other team lost' level logic.

Villa were W5 D2 L4, 17 points from 11 games, before we beat them. Most pundits saw that game as an away win and were hyping Stevie G. Leeds were coming off straight wins against West Ham and Burnley, scoring three in each. Their form since we beat them? P6 W0 D1 L5.

We have had a run of easy fixtures, but its been with relegation pressure. As everyone said on January 1st, the fixtures meant any players bought in the window would have to slot in immediately for would be our best remaining chances to accumulate points. Howe and the club deserve massive credit for the way this has happened so smoothly. It was not a given!

Now the relegation pressure has waned, it'll be good to see us play Southampton, a proper form team, to see how far we have come. My thoughts are definitely turning to next season.:D

3 hours ago, elbee909 said:

I saw someone somewhere say the only reason we're winning is because we've not been up against any form teams. That's up there with 'you've only won because the other team lost' level logic.

Apparently we've not lost against any of the bottom 8, bit like with Rafa. We can't play the form team as we are the form team :pow:

In short we're winning because Howe has drummed a clear gameplan of pressing from the front and playing out from the back, and increased the energy levels and application from the squad up to insane levels from what they were. That's pretty clear to anyone watching us even in small doses.

The people claiming it's money or anything else either know fuck all about the sport or are letting their intense jelousy rule their lives.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

10 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

In short we're winning because Howe has drummed a clear gameplan of pressing from the front and playing out from the back, and increased the energy levels and application from the squad up to insane levels from what they were. That's pretty clear to anyone watching us even in small doses.

The people claiming it's money or anything else either know fuck all about the sport or are letting their intense jelousy rule their lives.

It is both tbf.  We aren't pressing high or playing out from the back with a back 4 of Murphy, Lascelles, Clark and Ritchie.