Brentford 0 - 2 Newcastle United (26/02/2022)

BlueStar

Targett, Burn and Wood have addressed gaps in the squad and improved us, but they’re still playing alongside 8 players who were already here. 8 players who were viewed as being not PL standard the other side of Christmas. The turnaround is really impressive, and that’s all on Howe.

Just take the defence. We’ve been told for years - even by Benitez - we can’t play a back four. Bruce spent two seasons complaining they couldn’t do it. Yes, we’ve added a couple of players but not at great cost and at no point did I believe Schar and Krafth could do the job they managed yesterday, or at West Ham last week. I’ve no doubt that if Burn or Targett do get injured that Lascelles and Dummett could come in and do a decent job too. The midfield went from a porous mess to being one of our strongest areas, to the point Bruno is still sitting on the bench.

I don’t think Howe is a managerial mastermind (not yet anyway) but fuck me is it nice to have someone in charge who knows what he’s doing on the training ground, on the touch line and has the nous to implement it. A little bit of competence gets you a long way.

Edited by christ

8 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

For anyone who didn't see the game, the PL and MOTD highlights do a disservice to how dominant we were. These are better: https://www.nufc.co.uk/nufc-tv/highlights/brentford-a-highlights-21-22/

MOTD were ok by their brief standards. The 3 min Sky Sports highlights were even worse than usual. 

Showed 3 shots for us, 2 of which were the goals. The Norgaard shot for them and the red. That was it! Spent about a minute on Eriksen and looking at the red and not actual highlights. 

11 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

For anyone who didn't see the game, the PL and MOTD highlights do a disservice to how dominant we were. These are better: https://www.nufc.co.uk/nufc-tv/highlights/brentford-a-highlights-21-22/

The commentary on the challange for the sending off :lol: 'Targett has slipped and hurt his ankle'.

Also funny to hear him getting boo'd every time he touches the ball after it, you know, for being on the wrong end of a potential leg breaker. The bastard. 

3 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

MOTD were ok by their brief standards. The 3 min Sky Sports highlights were even worse than usual. 

Showed 3 shots for us, 2 of which were the goals. The Norgaard shot for them and the red. That was it! Spent about a minute on Eriksen and looking at the red and not actual highlights. 

Willock’s goal didn't even get looked at in the 'analysis' on motd. 

Edited by Wilson

14 minutes ago, christ said:

Targett, Burn and Wood have addressed gaps in the squad and improved us, but they’re still playing alongside 8 players who were already here. 8 players who were viewed as being not PL standard the other side of Christmas. The turnaround is really impressive, and that’s all on Howe.

Just take the defence. We’ve been told for years - even by Benitez - we can’t play a back four. Bruce spent two seasons complaining they couldn’t do it. Yes, we’ve added a couple of players but not at great cost and at no point did I believe Schar and Krafth could do the job they managed yesterday, or at West Ham last week. I’ve no doubt that if Burn or Targett do get injured that Lascelles and Dummett could come in and do a decent job too. The midfield went from a porous mess to being one of our strongest areas, to the point Bruno is still sitting on the bench.

I don’t think Howe is a managerial mastermind (not yet anyway) but fuck me is it nice to have someone in charge who knows what he’s doing on the training ground, on the touch line and has the nous to implement it. A little bit of competence gets you a long way.

The midfield is providing some protection. They've been a huge part of it.

13 minutes ago, Wilson said:

The commentary on the challange for the sending off :lol: 'Targett has slipped and hurt his ankle'.

Also funny to hear him getting boo'd every time he touches the ball after it, you know, for being on the wrong end of a potential leg breaker. The bastard. 

Was big Andy Woodman commentating, much prefer the miserable yet tremendous Ando. 

Edited by Danh1

A few journalists have made snide comments about Schar being furthest forward after the corner, but when you actually pay attention to how it all unfolded it made complete sense.  Schar's man had the second ball, so Schar pressed him out wide right.  Soon after the ball broke to us and Schar had the foresight to move up the field as an outlet.  Y'know, playing on the front foot?  Something the PFM brigade value so highly.  Surprised they haven't lauded him...

Edited by David Edgar

Love seeing photos of them together post win, that’s a team right there. Howe has brought the culture, respect and will back to these players. 

Trippier is there on crutches, for fuck sake, you’d have never seen this from Bacon man.

Very proud of the turn around in some of these players who looked hopeless the first half of the season. It’s clear they were in need of a leader and structure on or off the pitch.  

58 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

Very proud of the turn around in some of these players who looked hopeless the first half of the season. It’s clear they were in need of a leader and structure on or off the pitch.

Exactly. 

Despite some player quotes at the time, it was plainly obvious they weren't fit, Bruce's training was lacking to be polite. Players like willock and Joe needing that extra effort put into them to get the best out of them.

It's night and day. From the outside people will say we've bought our way out of trouble, and it has certainly allowed us to rotate a slim squad. But obvious from just the performances of the above mentioned players what is really paying dividends.

5 hours ago, Gaztoon said:

How targett as walked away from that challenge without serious injury is a miracle.

It was a clear red but what saved targett was that he didn't put much weight into the challenge,  you could see what he was trying to do which was shield the ball.

If he had gone in full tilt it would have been much worse

6 hours ago, The Butcher said:

Happy we didn't sign Ajer. Looked absolutely bobbins. He's never a RB mind.

I agree. 

Their squad must be quite imbalanced if he's their best option at RB. As you say he's no right-back, but I thought he was very poor for Joelinton's goal. If there's one thing you'd expect from someone his size it's that they would be solid in the air. Instead he had a free run at the ball.