Roman Abramovich

Pokerprince2004

25 minutes ago, number37 said:

I think the fan experience has to be better because there's nowt much else happening on the pitch. At least when you go to a Test Match you know you're there all week but it just feels like that when you go to a baseball or American football game. 

This 100%, Last US Sporting event I went to was the Daytona 500, was an excuse for Americans to day drink. Doesn’t translate across here, because we don’t need an excuse.

As for food and merchandise being better, it bloody well should be, they generally charge amounts that would even make the New Wembley wince. 

@Mike is there any point? without american tv money the league wouldnt be as popular. if mike ash owned an nba team hed have been gone in 3 years, not 14. but hey its all about the mighty pyramid! 

3 hours ago, Mike said:

:lol: The...entire world, man. The entire world.

You can not like the sports but our approach to pro sports is nothing to dismiss.

What you mean how a supporter base can lose their team to a different city if after 20 years their own city refuses to get into debt to build them a new facility.

The complete lack of league structure which means that if you were rich, you could easily own a team and just not bother investing in them to having them compete, and just taking the money every year.

The fact that tickets and match day merchandise is sky high, even by Premier League standards. You are talking hundreds of Dollers for a 1 match ticket, in the NHL a team can play over 70 games a season.

$10 for a can of Bud, etc.

Games that are interrupted or play is held so sponsors can have adverts, which is the real reason why some are advocating for a countdown clock in football.

3 hours ago, Mike said:

:lol: The...entire world, man. The entire world.

You can not like the sports but our approach to pro sports is nothing to dismiss.

Yeah, I'm not sure about that. Like most things in America I get the feeling that domestically it's quite normal to believe that all things American are the centre of the universe, when really the rest of the world aren't that fussed. At least, that appears to be the case with the sports there.

(Just to add, I'm not trying to offend there)

Edited by Armchair Pundit

I don’t know how much say Boehly has with the Dodgers, but they’re a really well run and consistently competitive team. This feels more like FSG than the Glazers or Kroenke.

If you’re still talking about pyramid systems in the United States you’ve no fucking clue about how our country watches sports nor how our culture and history in our operating model. It doesn’t work in our society as much as our model doesn’t work globally. That’s life. The American owners in the PL who supported the ESL clearly don’t understand how you all value the pyramid and the institution and history as much as you don’t understand our sporting closed shop model. 

20 minutes ago, Tomato Deuce said:

Looking forward to the fewm when London gets a permanent NFL franchise and it’s wildly popular with the locals.

It’s going to be two teams in London. :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Kanji said:

He isn’t man. Ffs. It’s literally been repeated over and over. The govt have completely stripped him of it. 

"The government said" is kind of my issue with it to be honest. :lol:

4 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Plenty of people watch regular season games and love them man :lol:

The fan experience is streets ahead as well, as is the quality of the merchandise, food and drink and that kind of thing. 

Of course if your prefer things gritty and real, Portsmouth v Milwall in the playoffs is always going to win out. 

:lol: sorry but

Suddenly realised that when we've been bemoaning the death of the game, some of us have been talking about different things. :lol: 

I fucking hate all that fan experience shite. The Germans have it right, that's the direction I'd want the game to go in.

2 hours ago, Kanji said:

@Mike is there any point? without american tv money the league wouldnt be as popular. if mike ash owned an nba team hed have been gone in 3 years, not 14. but hey its all about the mighty pyramid! 

Yeah, the success of the world's most popular sport is entirely down to US TV networks.

Up until very recently the revenue for US TV made up a only a small percentage of the overall PL broadcasting revenue. 

I’ve been to see the Bears play the Raiders at Spurs’ new stadium and I’ve been to see Napoli against Roma at the San Paolo.

While Spurs’ new stadium is luxurious and extremely comfortable, with the fan experience at the forefront - various beers, any food, multiple screens, clean pissers - for me the San Paolo was better.

The bogs were aaaful and the only thing on offer inside was a bloke with a cool box selling bottled water. However the simplicity, the shit plastic seats that didn’t really have a back to them and ultimately the atmosphere inside is what I was brought up believing football was about.

NBA sold their last overseas TV rights for 450 million dollars.
NFL sold theirs for 120 million.
MLB 150 million and NHL miniscule.

These are leagues which have essentially consolidated all the best players of these sports globally in one single place - yet the product value outside the US market is miniscule.

The PL alone is to sell the most recent overseas rights for upwards of 5 billion.

US sports just really aren't that popular outside of the US. If you're trying to play games abroad to drum up interest then there's clearly an inherent problem. 

I don't think it's the sports themselves which are the problem  - but there's a fact that the system which works in the US clearly does not strike anywhere near the same chord anywhere else. The idea that European football has anything to learn from such a model is risible. 

Edited by ponsaelius

There’s a lot European football can learn from American sports - the fan experience does matter in modern times. Whether you like it or not. The accessibility and access on Tv matters. The ticket sales, resale market does. Ticket operations is about 30 years behind ours. The idea English football allows clubs to just disappear - doesn’t happen here. Fans wouldn’t have to suffer that - or another mike Ashley. 

1 hour ago, ponsaelius said:

NBA sold their last overseas TV rights for 450 million dollars.
NFL sold theirs for 120 million.
MLB 150 million and NHL miniscule.

These are leagues which have essentially consolidated all the best players of these sports globally in one single place - yet the product value outside the US market is miniscule.

The PL alone is to sell the most recent overseas rights for upwards of 5 billion.

US sports just really aren't that popular outside of the US. If you're trying to play games abroad to drum up interest then there's clearly an inherent problem. 

I don't think it's the sports themselves which are the problem  - but there's a fact that the system which works in the US clearly does not strike anywhere near the same chord anywhere else. The idea that European football has anything to learn from such a model is risible. 

Sure they are.  The NBA is the most popular league in China, and more people watch the NBA finals in China than in the US.

Also, I'd like to see some citations on your dollar numbers, since it's been estimated that tencent is paying 300m per year just for the streaming  rights in China. https://www.forbes.com/sites/isabeltogoh/2019/10/14/tencent-resumes-streaming-nba-games-as-china-moves-to-cool-row/?sh=782d34956cb3 

It has only been relatively recently that US sports have really tried to start expanding overseas markets, for obvious reasons (they don't really need to).  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes'_list_of_the_most_valuable_sports_teams#2020 

I'm not sure I follow the argument about playing games internationally either.  Notre Dame plays college football games overseas... if you could "buy" their brand, it would be valued over $1b.  I don't think they are hurting.

Edited by bobloblaw