sunderland in the EFL

Big River

Do the majority of Sunderland fans even want promotion to the Premier League?

I think I read on RTG that the PL is a worthless league and that the Championship is 100 times better.

6 minutes ago, Andy84 said:

The standard in that league is absolutely dire 

It's been terrible, one of the worst for some time. Now is the season for a random club to get up simply on a bit of end of season form. 

11 minutes ago, Andy84 said:

Burnley are the only stand out team although Boro are doing well hope they come up.  Even Sheff Utd look poor 

So many incomplete teams which has made it competitive but for the wrong reasons. Not many teams willing to address their gaps either. A few key loans in the winter window would have propelled one or two teams. Even Sunderland didn't do enough, and could have for a few mill in loan fees.

Can't believe no one pushed for Fraser and darlow going to hull is crazy considering their position and the standard of keepers in that league. 

42 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

You have 5-6 PL quality players according to RTG. Play-Offs should have been the minimum. 

As mentioned in tons of posts before, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and the vast majority of normal fans don't think we have 5 or 6 PL players.

The Championship is a poor league in general.

It's an absolute myth about the quality of that league, it's entertaining usually because of how tight it usually is and anyone can beat anyone etc, the fact there's 3 games left and at least 8 teams have a shot of the play offs and about 8 in with a chance of getting relegated to is brilliant but the standard is poor.

We found that out when we were down there, both times we were pretty shit and still managed to win the league, comfortably won the league first time despite not looking great in loads of games. Second time around under Rafa we should have been nowhere near winning the league the way we were performing if there was a few more decent sides.

5 minutes ago, NUFCDoog said:

The Championship is a poor league in general.

It's an absolute myth about the quality of that league, it's entertaining usually because of how tight it usually is and anyone can beat anyone etc, the fact there's 3 games left and at least 8 teams have a shot of the play offs and about 8 in with a chance of getting relegated to is brilliant but the standard is poor.

We found that out when we were down there, both times we were pretty shit and still managed to win the league, comfortably won the league first time despite not looking great in loads of games. Second time around under Rafa we should have been nowhere near winning the league the way we were performing if there was a few more decent sides.

Whilst I agree it's a poor league in general, It doesn't mean teams that are promoted therefore can't compete at all in the PL.

Alot of teams who get promoted end up staying up.

1 minute ago, TeddySAFC said:

Whilst I agree it's a poor league in general, It doesn't mean teams that are promoted therefore can't compete at all in the PL.

Maybe those winning the league or have ran the leaders close, but I'd imagine it's very low for those coming up through the playoffs unless they were a favourite who faltered early on or they do a forest and buy 35 new players. 

5 minutes ago, TeddySAFC said:

The drop off between the bottom of the Premier League and the top of the Championship isn't that big.

7 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Maybe those winning the league or have ran the leaders close, but I'd imagine it's very low for those coming up through the playoffs unless they were a favourite who faltered early on or they do a forest and buy 35 new players. 

Forest won the play offs last year, might stay up this season

2020-21 - Brentford - stayed up and still there

2019-20 - Fulham - Relegated

2018-19 - Villa -  stayed up and still there

2017-18 - Fulham - Relegated

2016-17 - Huddersfield - Won play offs and stayed up the following season

Shows over the last few seasons that teams that win the play offs have a decent chance of staying up

1 minute ago, TeddySAFC said:

Shows over the last few seasons that teams that win the play offs have a decent chance of staying up

I'd argue all those teams had/have a better squad than Sunderland. It would be a miracle if you stayed up, hence fans saying they don't want it yet.

4 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

I'd argue all those teams had/have a better squad than Sunderland. It would be a miracle if you stayed up, hence fans saying they don't want it yet.

I don't doubt that either, but it's a complete hypothetical situation as nobody knows how we would recruit over the summer if we somehow got promoted anyway.

20 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

Not wanting promotion is insane, much like those that are unsure about getting CL football so soon

How a club deals with promotion is key, the risk is spending heavily and still getting relegated or being more reserved but then pretty much accepting you will get relegated (see Norwich)

28 minutes ago, TeddySAFC said:

Brentford & villa both should have went up automatically. Brentford were one of the best footballing teams in the division for a while, and villa were spending their way out after being handicapped, possibly by Bruce.

Huddersfield are the only team there which goes against what I'm saying. 

25 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Brentford & villa both should have went up automatically. Brentford were one of the best footballing teams in the division for a while, and villa were spending their way out after being handicapped, possibly by Bruce.

Huddersfield are the only team there which goes against what I'm saying. 

He won’t agree , never does.

58 minutes ago, TeddySAFC said:

It’s probably not supported by the facts I always feel the play off winners esp if they were 5/6th have a great chance of staying up as they are usually more used to the scrap and slog of the league.

Whereas runaway winners can often have a nasty surprise when they go up and have to change the way they play as they can’t dominate games like they have in the Championship. If that makes sense.

They couldn't have really asked for a better set of results tonight, especially with that 95th equaliser by the Coventry keeper.

Never really convinced by Blackburn whenever I see them. A negative GD is never a great sign either. Coventry do have a couple of very winnable home games coming up, so that point could end up being vital for them, but I'd have much preferred a winner in that match. 

Edited by Paullow