sunderland in the EFL

Big River

£10m for the Crock Ness Drogba is good business but they should have gone and got someone with a bit of a track record with the money. May have been worth poaching someone who's banging them in at League 1 level. Instead looks like they've got the crumbs off a few French academies and a Ukrainian nobody in to replace .

Feel like a season in mid table beckons, if they get top half they'll have done alright.

12 minutes ago, Pilko said:

£10m for the Crock Ness Drogba is good business but they should have gone and got someone with a bit of a track record with the money. May have been worth poaching someone who's banging them in at League 1 level. Instead looks like they've got the crumbs off a few French academies and a Ukrainian nobody in to replace .

Feel like a season in mid table beckons, if they get top half they'll have done alright.

Shankland would have been worth a gamble.

That actually feels like quite a rough end to the window for them. 

Their only pedigreed striker has been sold (alright he's currently injured), and in his place they've signed a 24-year-old with one good season in the Ukrainian league and three strikers under 21 that have five senior goals between them. If Rusyn doesn't work out they're in for a long old season. 

It was the kind of shit Ashley would do to cut costs. Speculate on prospects and hope one paid off. The two French lads have some pedigree, so that's a plus, but they probably need to figure out a succession plan for Tony Mowbray too because he sounded disgruntled over the Stewart situation.

I don't think its too bad of a window for them, they got 4 players in including two strikers which they really needed, that Burstow kid started Chelsea's last game and they seem to rate him well.

But again they have too many young players playing in quite a rough division.

Very happy with the window, Managed to hang onto our best players and cashed in on Stewart who had no intention of staying for a big fee.

4 strikers in total now, albeit alot unproven but that’s the model they go for and it hasnt done too badly so far.

Only one I’m not sure on is Batth leaving as he was solid for us but have to trust once the lad from PSV is fit, he’s the one we have alongside Ballard.

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

It's very much like you're playing FM. Selling your 3-4* players for players with 2 stars but 4 potential. Think about 10th at best.

That's exactly it. 

I get where @TeddySAFC is coming from totally, the tricky bit is going to be figuring out how they all adapt to the English game. The Championship is just relentless in terms of schedule and physical demand on the body. I don't see relegation as a threat personally, and Mowbray had a decent record of working on young players at Blackburn, but when we're talking about top 6, that feels unattainable for this group.

50 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

It's very much like you're playing FM. Selling your 3-4* players for players with 2 stars but 4 potential. Think about 10th at best.

Yes but thats the way we need to do it. We had absolutely no value in the playing squad when KLD took over, Fast forward 2 years and we have several players who could potentially go for 8M+

We are tied with FFP and therefore we cant go out and spend millions on proven Championship players, If you do you are then stuck for two or three years as you have blown your budget in fees and wages and in that time you essentially must get promoted instantly or you’re fucked.

Southampton and Leicester can afford the risk and expense, Theyve brought in millions and have parachute payments to fall back on.

We are behind the curve of more than half the division and therefore need to be creative in other ways. We need to have one of the best scouting systems, use data, utilise loans well, offer other academy players first team oppertunities on a permanent basis, get better value from abroad etc, it’s not easy.

Stewart is our 7th highest sale of all time, It shows you how badly our recruitment has been over recent years. We picked him up for 400K and sold him for 20 x the fee.

More than happy with our window, retained our best (fit) players and added more youth, quality, potential and value to the squad, all bar one on a permanent basis.

30 minutes ago, TeddySAFC said:

Yes but thats the way we need to do it. We had absolutely no value in the playing squad when KLD took over, Fast forward 2 years and we have several players who could potentially go for 8M+

We are tied with FFP and therefore we cant go out and spend millions on proven Championship players, If you do you are then stuck for two or three years as you have blown your budget in fees and wages and in that time you essentially must get promoted instantly or you’re fucked.

Southampton and Leicester can afford the risk and expense, Theyve brought in millions and have parachute payments to fall back on.

We are behind the curve of more than half the division and therefore need to be creative in other ways. We need to have one of the best scouting systems, use data, utilise loans well, offer other academy players first team oppertunities on a permanent basis, get better value from abroad etc, it’s not easy.

Stewart is our 7th highest sale of all time, It shows you how badly our recruitment has been over recent years. We picked him up for 400K and sold him for 20 x the fee.

More than happy with our window, retained our best (fit) players and added more youth, quality, potential and value to the squad, all bar one on a permanent basis.

I'm sure last season you said something along the lines of .... we have four or five younguns that could perform in the Premier league.  What's happened to them?

3 minutes ago, Rod said:

I'm sure last season you said something along the lines of .... we have four or five younguns that could perform in the Premier league.  What's happened to them?

They are young kids that we have managed to keep a hold of. I have no doubt about it that Patterson, Ballard, Clarke and Neil will end up in the PL. I said the same about Stewart and I think he would have if he hadnt been injured for a season, Infact he will probably be there with Southampton next season.

Theres others too, but I think the four above are nailed on.

1 minute ago, TeddySAFC said:

They are young kids that we have managed to keep a hold of. I have no doubt about it that Patterson, Ballard, Clarke and Neil will end up in the PL. I said the same about Stewart and I think he would have if he hadnt been injured for a season, Infact he will probably be there with Southampton next season.

We'll see.

15 minutes ago, TeddySAFC said:

Chris Rigg will be there in 25/26 when we pinch him.

55 minutes ago, Ben said:

Sunderland really are a Poundstretcher version Sports Direct Newcastle 

I’d say their model is better than Ashley’s, at least they aim for young and upcoming players who might actually develop. Ashley’s model was principally buying players who were cheap for a reason, e.g. they were known to be shit and on a free transfer or we sneaked a release clause on a player with a dubious injury record etc. We also rarely brought in lots of names in a window and offloaded our talent whenever we could get a big fee 

2 hours ago, TeddySAFC said:

Very happy with the window, Managed to hang onto our best players and cashed in on Stewart who had no intention of staying for a big fee.

4 strikers in total now, albeit alot unproven but that’s the model they go for and it hasnt done too badly so far.

Only one I’m not sure on is Batth leaving as he was solid for us but have to trust once the lad from PSV is fit, he’s the one we have alongside Ballard.

Disasterous window for safc. Sold off key players and replaced with garbage from abroad. Lots of other senior players now massively pissed off that they weren’t allowed to move on this window. 

Wouldn’t be surprised if Sunderland as a club folds before April. 

4 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I’d say their model is better than Ashley’s, at least they aim for young and upcoming players who might actually develop. Ashley’s model was principally buying players who were cheap for a reason, e.g. they were known to be shit and on a free transfer or we sneaked a release clause on a player with a dubious injury record etc. We also rarely brought in lots of names in a window and offloaded our talent whenever we could get a big fee 

As much as the Ashley era was depressing we definitely signed younger players who we intended to develop and flog on for profit. Sissoko, Perez, Cabaye. How old were Wijnaldum and Mitro when we got them?

Obviously players like Anita and Mbiwa and Haidara were miserable failures. 

No denying we were happy to pad the squad out with cheap squad fillers like Hendrick, Colback etc.