sunderland in the EFL

Big River

16 minutes ago, Scoot said:

Still as weird as ever I see.

So bitter. Why even start a thread about it? Usual comfort blanket stuff from the marranoid, second class sunlun fans. 

Seems like one of those things where they don't get that other clubs have legends and heroes, special numbers and ends just because they don't have any.

Edited by Jonas

11 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Seems like one of those things where they don't get that other clubs have legends and heroes, special numbers and ends just because they don't have any.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaally and Sewpa Kev.

58 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’ll have to duck the spears and arrows, but I’ve never felt that there should be a BR statue outside SJP either …

Said on Twitter recently that we as a club give Robson the accolades that Keegan should have.

Do love Robson, so not a slight against him. 

48 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Said on Twitter recently that we as a club give Robson the accolades that Keegan should have.

Do love Robson, so not a slight against him. 

It’s nuts. What KK did as both player and manager. SBR was class and loved him to bits but 2 x 11th, 4th, 3rd and 5th doesn’t compare to KK.

KK got promotion as a player, saving the club from relegation to the 3rd tier in your first season as manager, promotion as champions in the next, 3rd, 6th, 2nd and the closest we’ve been to a title since the 1920s.

Other than SBR’s FAC semi final in 1999/2000 both strangely were shite in the cups.

Great men but KK over Bobby any day and those loons wanting to name the East Stand after SBR need to read up on our other real heroes and foundational players/managers.

3 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

It’s nuts. What KK did as both player and manager. SBR was class and loved him to bits but 2 x 11th, 4th, 3rd and 5th doesn’t compare to KK.

KK got promotion as a player, saving the club from relegation to the 3rd tier in your first season as manager, promotion as champions in the next, 3rd, 6th, 2nd and the closest we’ve been to a title since the 1920s.

Other than SBR’s FAC semi final in 1999/2000 both strangely were shite in the cups.

Great men but KK over Bobby any day and those loons wanting to name the East Stand after SBR need to read up on our other real heroes and foundational players/managers.

Catts for me.

3 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Agree massively.

Feels like the SBR recognition was also lazy, Ashley era attempts at connecting to the fans, and obviously after what happened with Keegan.

Why can't we love both Keegan and Robson with equal measure? 

Both have been the highlights of my football life and will defend them both to the hilt.

I bet  if Robson had replaced Keegan straight away, we would have continued to improve or maintain those levels.

It still breaks my heart how that team was ripped apart by dalglish and the board.

Edited by RobsonsWonderland

For me they were both loved for different reasons.

Keegan was an adopted Geordie who really earned his hero status by what he did at Newcastle.

Robson was an actual Geordie who really earned his hero status by what he did from 'Newcastle'.

You can love them both equally. I know I do. Keegan is my heart, my passion, my desire. Robson is a reminder that it is important to be gentlemanly, dedicated and respectful. Neither won owt for us but what they gave us is somewhat more important than that.

Edited by Heron

This is going to sound far more harsh and blunt than it's meant to, but the most likely reason Robson has a statue whilst Keegan doesn't is that Robson's dead. The living don't often get statues because their legacy isn't complete.

I'm sure Keegan will get a statue in time but I hope we don't see it for a very long time.

Statues tend to be built in honour of people after they pass. Always think literal eulogies would be better before than after.

Keegan before anyone for me.  To the point were I'm even a bit defensive of this 'shit in the cups remark'.  Keegan in the cups was a massive improvement on what went before where getting past the first round of the league-cup was a treat and he made the 5th round twice in four years, when we'd made it twice in the previous 12yrs and a first QF in 18years.

Luton was probably the only FA cup game we deserved to lose.

3 hours ago, OpenC said:

The only reason they haven't got more statues is that they win fuck all and they hate everybody within weeks :lol:

I do like that they have one of a proud Northumbrian, with 261 appearances for his beloved Newcastle United, topped off with a solid performance in a third in five years FA Cup win. What a Geordie hero!  Magnanimous them Makems. Makes me proud to be ‘North Eastern’. 

3 hours ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

Why can't we love both Keegan and Robson with equal measure? 

Both have been the highlights of my football life and will defend them both to the hilt.

I bet  if Robson had replaced Keegan straight away, we would have continued to improve or maintain those levels.

It still breaks my heart how that team was ripped apart by dalglish and the board.

I know. Was just thinking about that with a meeting with Tomasson potentially ahead.

Its the time scale and level of it that's still hard to grasp. Was scorched earth within a year. Not just the squad but squad harmony and playing style and in a relegation battle.

However Dalglish was only one win away from being statue worthy by the standards the makems have set in that thread. 

Edited by Jonas

They had a picture of Shearer missing a penalty against them as pride of place in the foyer of their ground for years.

But statues of our and the league's historic top scorer and Sir Bobby at SJP is a struggle to grasp?

22 hours ago, Danh1 said:

Agree massively.

Feels like the SBR recognition was also lazy, Ashley era attempts at connecting to the fans, and obviously after what happened with Keegan.

Ashley did that multiple times whenever the heat was really on - he progressed from "run of the mill asshole owner" to "absolute c**t" territory for me in 2008 when he suddenly announced a Sir Bobby Day when the end was near and the morning of the match released a statement he wasn't selling up anymore (although it had been blatantly obvious for months he was waiting for the heat from Keegan and the Hull game to die down).

Edited by Pandamninator

These clowns take the piss out of Shearer having a statue but ‘relegating’ us…

What the majority of the daft bastards fail to understand is that it was in fact Stokoe and not MacMenemy who was in charge when they were relegated to the 3rd Division for the first time in their history….

And if I’m correct Stokoe took charge of more games than Shearer over that interim period…. 

Absolutely nothing against Stokoe, a Newcastle cup winning hero but those idiots down the road are really fuckin clueless when it comes to their own history… or perhaps they just prefer to concentrate more on ours…