sunderland in the EFL

Big River

2 hours ago, Chicken Dancer said:

Any manager with a bit about them wouldn’t touch that job with a shitty stick. 

As much as lots of us will deny it, but they’re a big enough club to attract a decent name. They’re a decent draw, no doubt about that. However, I think (could be wrong but won’t be by much) this is their 21st manager in 19 years. Why would another manager look and think ‘I’ll be the one to sort this shit’. Only Allardyce left willingly, didn’t he?

Been a few different owners in that time too. Would suggest that the problem lies at the club rather than anything else.

Its not just that but the toxicity if they don't OVER achieve is brutal and with FFP there is less to work with there than before and for the most part the best before ever got was just surviving relegation every year. The last time their fans were placated was when Drumville spend fortunes and Short followed it up by subsidising them. Neither could happen now.

8 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

What league were we in then? Keane resigned in December 2008 and we were not relegated until the end of 2008/09 season. 

Mackems finished 15th the one full season Keane was there, behind us, and 16th the next ,where he left halfway through.

Not disputing that that still counts as one of their best seasons though

Edited by Jonas

3 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Mackems finished 15th the one full season Keane was there, behind us, and 16th the next ,where he left halfway through.

Not disputing that that still counts as one of their best seasons though

Aye think he needs to check his facts about his own club. 

The Mackems always have it nice.

The manager they despise from the outset and they only have to put up with him for 2 months. We had the obese, quadruple chinned dinner lady for over 2 years.

They get owners they despise and within a couple of years they get a new takeover. We were stuck with the boot cut Jean clad, pig headed wanker for 14 fucking years. 

1 hour ago, et tu brute said:

What league were we in then? Keane resigned in December 2008 and we were not relegated until the end of 2008/09 season. 

Under Bruce sorry, not Keane. 2009-10 season.

1 hour ago, Dokko said:

I never said you went down because we weren't there. I said it was previously those wins which kept you up and a happy coincidence that you went down when we weren't there. There's no way to know, but that's not my argument and never was; those wins allowed that papering over the cracks and you poured bad money after bad chasing 17th place and eventually nearly lost your club because of it (which I'm sure you'll agree to at least some extent)

You're very lucky short wrote off that debt, not sure where ffp was, probably too early to haul you over the coals, but these days it would surely be an unfair advantage and they'd probably kick you out the league regardless. You still paid with chancers knocking at your door, and still paying now with a kid out his depth. It'll be a long time before you see those days of chasing 17th, especially if the fans keep staying away.

Interesting times anyway. You got what you wanted (this week at least) you never know form was good under Dodds but there was no pressure, it's all a bit fucked in 8 weeks and yes, the handling of the derby played a huge part of that. It's totally derailed your season as the fan hate from the fallout made anything but the perfect appointment impossible. 

I dont expect anything from Dodds either, They need to get to the summer and look at appointing someone actually fit for purpose. Beale was dreadful and its mental he was even given the job in the first place.

2 minutes ago, TeddySAFC said:

I dont expect anything from Dodds either, They need to get to the summer and look at appointing someone actually fit for purpose. Beale was dreadful and its mental he was even given the job in the first place.

You're alright Teddy. Any thoughts on who you should go for?

1 minute ago, TeddySAFC said:

100%. He was a knacker. Had nothing going for him. If you're going to appoint someone shit at least be personable or appoint someone good who acts a cunt. You got the worst of both worlds. He's like 80% of middle management in companies across the UK. Hopeless, feckless and charmless, and massively arrogant to boot. You're well rid. Shame. 😂

Wasnt Beale doing exactly what Mowbray was doing? Winning a few and losing a few and having them skirting around the playoffs? Isn't that exactly what Sunderland are at present? A half decent but inconsistent championship side. 

25 minutes ago, Abacus said:

You're alright Teddy. Any thoughts on who you should go for?

Well it totally depends if theyre going to flex this ‘model’ and not be as restrictive on what the manager can and cant do if they get the job.

In an ideal world someone like Cooper or Still, however I dont think they’d work under not being allowed their own coaching team, little say on transfers etc

It will probably be someone like Heckingbotttom.

Edited by TeddySAFC

27 minutes ago, TeddySAFC said:

Well it totally depends if theyre going to flex this ‘model’ and not be as restrictive on what the manager can and cant do if they get the job.

In an ideal world someone like Cooper or Still, however I dont think they’d work under not being allowed their own coaching time, little say on transfers etc

It will probably be someone like Heckingbotttom.

You seem downcast by the model, and all banter aside have argued your points like a genuine fan. This is not a trap [emoji38]

I agree with the bandit in that Cooper is someone who'd be good and also deserves a chance, but if you're going to go that way he'd need to be able to negotiate his own terms. Seems like Speakman is skating on thin ice with the fan base from what little I know, so maybe he'd get that.

Edit, I hope not and that it all goes terribly wrong for many future laughs, but you'll know by now that's obligatory.

Edited by Abacus

Think the appointments they’ve made under KLD have been mad and not in keeping with their project of buying potential at all. I expect that will change in the summer and can see them getting Will Still.

12 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Think the appointments they’ve made under KLD have been mad and not in keeping with their project of buying potential at all. I expect that will change in the summer and can see them getting Will Still.

Yeah. Even though it feels like they're writing off the last few months of a season where they could genuinely make the play-offs, I'm sure they'll get the summer appointment right. Annoyingly.

Whether it's Will Still, Steve Cooper (shame that Palace looked elsewhere), Jesse Marsch etc, there'll be good names available.

42 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Steve Cooper would be perfect actually, if given time. Can’t see him being desperate for the job given how regularly you shift managers though 

Spongebob Squarepants Smile GIF by Xbox