sunderland in the EFL

Big River

5 hours ago, HTT II said:

My boy won player of the tournament and top scorer in his age group (under 8s, 18 teams or something I think overall), he cried when his name got called out, voted by other coaches and refs I believe. I won’t lie I was a tad emotional too, super proud.

What a happy Father’s Day 👍

8 hours ago, HTT II said:

My boy won player of the tournament and top scorer in his age group (under 8s, 18 teams or something I think overall), he cried when his name got called out, voted by other coaches and refs I believe. I won’t lie I was a tad emotional too, super proud.

Massively off topic but, I have to say it.

Saturday was the final football presentation event for my son, he is now 16 and his Grassroots journey is over.  He played at a nice level for Felling Magpies on a Saturday in the Russell Foster Premier League and for Wallsend Boys Club on a Sunday in the league that used to be called Pinpoint (also in the Premier League), no idea what they call it now!  He has a shelf full of trophies as memories - which is great - and I no longer have to get up on both weekend days to take him to his match but, if I could, I would wind the clock back and do it all again because it is fuckin brilliant!!!  Enjoy every moment of watching your son play, do not be ashamed to be proud of him in front of other people.  

My boy is going on to do A Levels at a school in Chester Le Street which has a very strong Men's Football Academy, linked with Huddesfield Town for some reason....  He has been accepted onto the football academy as well as the academic courses.  He will now be playing in National Leagues, albeit the weekly games seems to be mostly in the North (Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool etc) although the team from this current year group have won at least one National Cup and recently toured in Italy playing against the year up 18/19 National Team and drawing 1 - 1..   So hopefully some excellent coaching ahead.

Guest HTT II
12 minutes ago, pinkeye said:

Saturday was the final football presentation event for my son, he is now 16 and his Grassroots journey is over.  He played at a nice level for Felling Magpies on a Saturday in the Russell Foster Premier League and for Wallsend Boys Club on a Sunday in the league that used to be called Pinpoint (also in the Premier League), no idea what they call it now!  He has a shelf full of trophies as memories - which is great - and I no longer have to get up on both weekend days to take him to his match but, if I could, I would wind the clock back and do it all again because it is fuckin brilliant!!!  Enjoy every moment of watching your son play, do not be ashamed to be proud of him in front of other people.  

My boy is going on to do A Levels at a school in Chester Le Street which has a very strong Men's Football Academy, linked with Huddesfield Town for some reason....  He has been accepted onto the football academy as well as the academic courses.  He will now be playing in National Leagues, albeit the weekly games seems to be mostly in the North (Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool etc) although the team from this current year group have won at least one National Cup and recently toured in Italy playing against the year up 18/19 National Team and drawing 1 - 1..   So hopefully some excellent coaching ahead.

Aye it’s great and I probably don’t push him enough, I know he’s never going to make it as a pro or an elite pro, but he has fallen in love with playing off his own back and has made so many friends, we are at this tournament and he has bumped into so many and his team-mates and us parents, we are all like a mini extended family. Friends for life I hope and a love of the game for life. It’s a pain at times because it can be literally football, football, football. Good luck to your boy and the grassroots scene is thriving, I know loads of lads who play for non league clubs and they love it. That’s the beauty about the game here in our country.

Edited by HTT II

46 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Aye it’s great and I probably don’t push him enough, I know he’s never going to make it as a pro or an elite pro, but he has fallen in love with playing off his own back and has made so many friends, we are at this tournament and he has bumped into so many and his team-mates and us parents, we are all like a mini extended family. Friends for life I hope and a love of the game for life. It’s a pain at times because it can be literally football, football, football. Good luck to your boy and the grassroots scene is thriving, I know loads of lads who play for non league clubs and they love it. That’s the beauty about the game here in our country.

My 13 year old is taking a year off (will still play for school) after flirting with City academy and 8 seasons playing mainly in the most competitive  league in Manchester. He’s taken to basketball, have to say I’m not going to miss the two to three times a week taxi job. It has been great for his athleticism and it’s a real ‘social bonus’ being good at football. However, it took him a while to realise that Barca and Real Madrid weren’t going to be competing for his signature. The answer that seems to land best to “Will I be a footballer, Dad?” Was something like: you’ll always be a good footballer as long as you keep playing and trying hard. But it’s unlikely you’ll get paid to play. Off topic I know, but it’s nice to read stuff about this, particularly that mentions Felling! 

Guest HTT II
Just now, Coffee_Johnny said:

My 13 year old is taking a year off (will still play for school) after flirting with City academy and 8 seasons playing mainly in the most competitive  league in Manchester. He’s taken to basketball, have to say I’m not going to miss the two to three times a week taxi job. It has been great for his athleticism and it’s a real ‘social bonus’ being good at football. However, it took him a while to realise that Barca and Real Madrid weren’t going to be competing for his signature. The answer that seems to land best to “Will I be a footballer, Dad?” Was something like: you’ll always be a good footballer as long as you keep playing and trying hard. But it’s unlikely you’ll get paid to play. Off topic I know, but it’s nice to read stuff about this, particularly that mentions Felling! 

My boy knows who my fave footballers are or my heroes, KK, Andy Cole etc. but he will cheekily ask whose the best footballer you’ve ever seen and I always say you my boy and he is, because he’s amazing, and I’ve had the word with him that you can strive to be your best in life son, but sometimes, you don’t always get what you want, like at Xmas. The main thing for me, is he and our kids get to love football for the rest of their lives, I’m a shit footballer, but loved playing it and although I fell out of love with it under Ashley, I couldn’t imagine a life of not enjoying this game of ours and my boy playing and England has really given me a fix over the years. Kids today are so talented, and the coaches try to play the right way, the standard is so high so hopefully a few will make it, I’ve got my eye on about 5 kids who I think will, but it’s a lottery really. Good luck to your kid either way!

Guest HTT II

Also as a parent it’s wise to try and get your kids into different sports, I find kids that are good at say football, usually end up decent at other sports too!

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

Also as a parent it’s wise to try and get your kids into different sports, I find kids that are good at say football, usually end up decent at other sports too!

My son is rubbish at football, he hates everything to do with football. I've failed as a dad.

However I do take some comfort in knowing that he's rubbish at other sports as well.

Is there a Grassroots Football topic in the chat section?  It would be really interesting to share experiences with other dads whose kids play at this wonderful level of football.

I have been around it for more than 10 years with my son and I have to say it is really hard to leave it all behind.  I said in my earlier message that if I had the chance to do it all again I absolutely would without any hesitation, so much in fact....  I am even considering whether I have time to volunteer to help a local club as a coach in some capacity, clearly need to be DBS checked and do some FA courses ahead of that....

Actually as it is a football related topic a Grassroots thread would fit nicely in this forum...  thoughts?

Edited by pinkeye

1 hour ago, pinkeye said:

Is there a Grassroots Football topic in the chat section?  It would be really interesting to share experiences with other dads whose kids play at this wonderful level of football.

I have been around it for more than 10 years with my son and I have to say it is really hard to leave it all behind.  I said in my earlier message that if I had the chance to do it all again I absolutely would without any hesitation, so much in fact....  I am even considering whether I have time to volunteer to help a local club as a coach in some capacity, clearly need to be DBS checked and do some FA courses ahead of that....

Actually as it is a football related topic a Grassroots thread would fit nicely in this forum...  thoughts?

set one up by all means, there is a "your football" thread in Chat which might fit nicely though!

5 hours ago, pinkeye said:

My old school :lol:

Fuck knows what's happened since I left, but when I was there it was a dedicated language college. We had football teams but the rugby team never got off the ground as they couldn't even get 15 players. There was nowt extracurricular. Now it seems like they're throwing everything at sport. Think they had a tie-in with Carlisle United at some point too, and they work very closely with Durham CCC.

Just now, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

My old school :lol:

Fuck knows what's happened since I left, but when I was there it was a dedicated language college. We had football teams but the rugby team never got off the ground as they couldn't even get 15 players. There was nowt extracurricular. Now it seems like they're throwing everything at sport. Think they had a tie-in with Carlisle United at some point too, and they work very closely with Durham CCC.

Park View right?

Yes, they seem to have a huge focus on Sport and have training facilities at Durham Cricket.  I am going to start a Grassroots thread because I think there is interest in talking about our kids or our own projects into coaching etc...

12 minutes ago, pinkeye said:

Park View right?

Yes, they seem to have a huge focus on Sport and have training facilities at Durham Cricket.  I am going to start a Grassroots thread because I think there is interest in talking about our kids or our own projects into coaching etc...

That's the one. I finished in 2005 then finished sixth form in 2007. I've seen occasional posts about what they're up to on social media and it's night and day to what was available to us.

2 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

That's the one. I finished in 2005 then finished sixth form in 2007. I've seen occasional posts about what they're up to on social media and it's night and day to what was available to us.

We live in Gateshead, they had a couple of open sessions to try to attract footballers (and rugby, Cricket, girls teams as well as boys).  Their approach is fantastic and if they live up to the promises they make I am certain my son will have an excellent experience there.

Edit - the reason I said we live in Gateshead was that they also arrange transport for the sports students so they can gather the best ability kids from all across the region, from Berwick to Middlesbrough.

Edited by pinkeye

8 minutes ago, pinkeye said:

We live in Gateshead, they had a couple of open sessions to try to attract footballers (and rugby, Cricket, girls teams as well as boys).  Their approach is fantastic and if they live up to the promises they make I am certain my son will have an excellent experience there.

Edit - the reason I said we live in Gateshead was that they also arrange transport for the sports students so they can gather the best ability kids from all across the region, from Berwick to Middlesbrough.

Oh aye, I was back up a few months ago and bumped into an old PE teacher at an Indian in Birtley. He was in a snazzy Nike school-branded tracksuit. I've also seen a snazzy school/sport-branded minibus driving about :lol:

It's a long way from finding out we only had eight players at 3pm when there was a game at 3.45pm :lol:

9 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I’ve never seen a pettier thing in my life, imagine actually having a strong opinion on an airport. Bizarre behavior 

That poster man. Come to Sunderland for Premier league football advertised in the airport the 1 season we went down. 😂

3 minutes ago, TheHoob said:

The airport patter is horrific but I thought that was quite decent at the time tbf [emoji38] lovely how things worked out after mind! 

Agreed, it was funny but as is often the case with all things Mackem it was short lived and we've been laughing since