sunderland in the EFL

Big River

2 hours ago, OpenC said:

Fyewtchaheads didn't gan on like that when they played Glasto marra

Classy band, from Sunlun you see

:lol: Absolutely mental that the first word in this post is perfectly decipherable.

Sam finds the makem fewm hilarious 

That angry doylem who does the match review YouTube videos from his mams attic called him Sam Vender and asked if he installs vending machines 

They’re off their tits on Wearside man 

Edited by bobbydazzla

5 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Sam finds the makem fewm hilarious 

That angry doylem who does the match review YouTube videos from his mams attic called him Sam Vender and asked if he installs vending machines 

They’re off their tits on Wearside man 

Should call him Sam Offender since he discombobulates them so much just by coming from where he comes from.

3 hours ago, Big Geordie said:

Watched Sam Fender's set - I can see why they will be livid. Delicious. :)

Just watched it on iplayer,  class.  The guys a talent, unlike anything from chickentown 

Just now, 1964 said:

Just watched it on iplayer,  class.  The guys a talent, unlike anything from chickentown 

To be fair Gabriel's (formed by a mackem and named after a street in sunderland) were pretty fucking class too.

Seriously? It's all in the ear of the listener obviously but Futureheads were fucking brilliant (imo). Off the top of my head Field Music, Lauren Laverne and Kenickie, Frankie Stubbs and Leatherface. Dave Stewart. Was Martin Stephenson from there as well? 

I'm not saying I personally find all these brilliant (although I prefer some of them to wor Sam) but it's just stupid to say there's never been any musical talent come out of Sunderland. It's not a competition and it doesn't diminish any Newcastle artists that there are also good ones from Sunderland :lol:

Edited by OpenC

You're right it's all in the ear of the listener, as I would describe every one of those artists as mediocre at best, but I was genuinely hoping that I'd forgotten someone good.

To be honest this is something I've banged on about for years - the North East as a whole has produced virtually nobody that I would regard as ground-breaking musically. 

Sam Fender sits nicely with the likes of Sting and Mark Knopfler - decent enough, but not dining at the top table; just in my opinion if course.

Aye :) I put most of mine higher then your three but that's how it goes and I pretty much agree with your other point. Again off the top of head Wildhearts when they were being experimental were maybe the closest we got for me, but they were always niche and always imploding. I reckon they could have done something really amazing if they'd all kept it together for a few years.

Anyway, there's probably a better thread :)

Edited by OpenC

8 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Aye :) I put most of mine higher then your three but that's how it goes and I pretty much agree with your other point. Again off the top of head Wildhearts when they were being experimental were maybe the closest we got for me, but they were always niche and always imploding.

I could tell you tales about the Wildhearts that would curl your hair.

I grew up next door but one to their original drummer Stidi, indeed was in his first band. I got fired for not being "rock and roll enough" [emoji38]

Played a few gigs in the early 2000s supporting Ginger and also Danny McCormack's band The Chasers.

Edited by bigfella

7 hours ago, OpenC said:

Seriously? It's all in the ear of the listener obviously but Futureheads were fucking brilliant (imo). Off the top of my head Field Music, Lauren Laverne and Kenickie, Frankie Stubbs and Leatherface. Dave Stewart. Was Martin Stephenson from there as well? 

I'm not saying I personally find all these brilliant (although I prefer some of them to wor Sam) but it's just stupid to say there's never been any musical talent come out of Sunderland. It's not a competition and it doesn't diminish any Newcastle artists that there are also good ones from Sunderland :lol:

Sunderland has the more recent scen through Field music and the Future heads etc, However You can put Maximo Park down as a Newcastle band though not many of them hail from here they were largely based here, the Newcastle influence on Dire Straits was there, Brian Johnson, Eno and Roxy Music, Prefab Sprout and Martin Stephenson and the Daintees through Kitchenware, even such local faves as Arthur 2stroke and the Chart Commandoes and the Eastside Torpedoes.

8 hours ago, OpenC said:

Aye :) I put most of mine higher then your three but that's how it goes and I pretty much agree with your other point. Again off the top of head Wildhearts when they were being experimental were maybe the closest we got for me, but they were always niche and always imploding. I reckon they could have done something really amazing if they'd all kept it together for a few years.

Definitely agree with you on the Wildhearts, but to be fair I still think Ginger is one of the most underappreciated songwriters this country's produced. The breadth of his output is staggering

9 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

I'd also stick Nadine Shah in the list of good Newcastle artists, who maybe should have a bigger audience than they currently do too.

Typical mags tryen ta steyl Nadine, shey’s frem Whitbern marra

Edited by bobbydazzla

33 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

I'd also stick Nadine Shah in the list of good Newcastle artists, who maybe should have a bigger audience than they currently do too.

Beth Jean's Houghton also. (Du blonde). 

Edited by madras