sunderland in the EFL

Big River

Their music doesn’t necessarily fit the typical N-O demographic but all of these are from Tyneside and doing really well in various parts of the industry 

LDevine, Riton, Ben Hemsley, Andrew Cushin, Patrick Topping, Man Power, Christoph

Feels like musicians from the North East are thriving at the moment 

Edited by bobbydazzla

39 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Their music doesn’t necessarily fit the typical N-O demographic but all of these are from Tyneside and doing really well in various parts of the industry 

LDevine, Riton, Ben Hemsley, Andrew Cushin, Patrick Topping, Man Power, Christoph

Feels like musicians from the North East are thriving at the moment 

Only heard of Riton from that list and had no idea he/she/they were from up here.

19 minutes ago, madras said:

Only heard of Riton from that list and had no idea he/she/they were from up here.

Riton is Henry Smithson, went to RGS and was a resident DJ at Shindig mid to late 90’s 

He won a Grammy in 2019 

Edited by bobbydazzla

To be fair to our Wearside cousins, whilst Sting, Mark Knopfler, and Brian Johnson are genuine world stars,  hard to beat Toy Dolls! Also, Angelic Upstarts, Prefab Sprout, Bryan Ferry and Alan Price may re-ignite turf wars about which areas prefer a red or black to go with their white stripes. 

I’d also add Pet Shop Boys and Lighthouse Family to the North East musical melting pot. 

23 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

To be fair to our Wearside cousins, whilst Sting, Mark Knopfler, and Brian Johnson are genuine world stars,  hard to beat Toy Dolls! Also, Angelic Upstarts, Prefab Sprout, Bryan Ferry and Alan Price may re-ignite turf wars about which areas prefer a red or black to go with their white stripes. 

I’d also add Pet Shop Boys and Lighthouse Family to the North East musical melting pot. 

Also add Pete Doherty, Maxïmo Park, Everything Everything and Smoove & Turrell to that list.

22 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Ferry and McAloon are NUFC fans so wouldn't be accepted as Washington/Durham mags

Doherty might be a stretch, born in Hexham as it was near his dads army base but he didn’t grow up round here 

And he’s a QPR fan too so not even a Tyne Valley Mag 

Edited by bobbydazzla

4 hours ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Definitely agree with you on the Wildhearts, but to be fair I still think Ginger is one of the most underappreciated songwriters this country's produced. The breadth of his output is staggering

Yeah - they should have had a much higher profile. Ginger is indeed a prolific songwriter.

I saw Love/Hate at the mayfair in 1992 but dont remember them supporting. I saw them a few years later at the Riverside, great gig though my hips were crushed up against the barrier at the front and sweat would rain from the ceiling :lol:

Wildhearts are massively underrated by the mainstream. 

They are South Shields lads but I always thought Ginger and Danny at least are Toon fans? 

Whilst on the subject, Quireboys too, I've seen Spike at Toon games 

2 hours ago, Groundhog63 said:

Anyone mentioned Ian McCallum, Stiff Little Fingers? 

Character and Gosforth lad. Used to knock about with a mutual quaffing in the (old) Bacchus

No way! Love that he’s a Geordie. Had no idea!