Pre-season (2023/24)

bowlingcrofty

1 hour ago, neesy111 said:

I'll never get why clubs outside the top 6 voted for this change.

I can't remember who it was, but a manager in the Swedish league argued that it would benefit the worse teams as towards the end of a game quality doesn't matter as much as just being able to bring on some fresh legs. 

Obviously a load of bollocks like, and I fucking hate the 5 subs rule, having watched it for a couple of seasons now, it's absolutely shite.

15 minutes ago, Nobody said:

I can't remember who it was, but a manager in the Swedish league argued that it would benefit the worse teams as towards the end of a game quality doesn't matter as much as just being able to bring on some fresh legs. 

Obviously a load of bollocks like, and I fucking hate the 5 subs rule, having watched it for a couple of seasons now, it's absolutely shite.

Couldn’t agree more. Something that absolutely didn’t need changing. 

26 minutes ago, Nobody said:

It’s insane, as dumb as VAR for removing the theatre from the game. I am for goal line technology, the rest of these changes are removing chance, luck and romanticism from the game. 

I’ll go shake my fist at a cloud now.

I will laugh though when Fulham or someone are beating Liverpool and they make a double substitution in stoppage time to run the clock down and Klopp is doing his nut in about the time wasting.

Edited by Howeay

One of those where if clubs outside the top 6 were fine with it, surely the managers for the most part were fine with it, so, and this sounds insane - I know -  maybe they know more than the common fan?

bruce aside. 

3 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

It’s insane, as dumb as VAR for removing the theatre from the game. I am for goal line technology, the rest of these changes are removing chance, luck and romanticism from the game. 

I’ll go shake my fist at a cloud now.

It's arguably worse than VAR, and I fucking hate VAR. It makes so many games in the last 20 minutes feel like friendlies, especially if the better team is in a winning position. 

41 minutes ago, Kanji said:

One of those where if clubs outside the top 6 were fine with it, surely the managers for the most part were fine with it, so, and this sounds insane - I know -  maybe they know more than the common fan?

bruce aside. 

Nah, it's fucking shite. Think it's probably more to do with managers thinking it might benefit them to have more substitutes, but honestly mate, there are no advantages.

I say this as a fan of one of the better side in the Swedish league and a Newcastle fan so I see it from both sides. 

42 minutes ago, Kanji said:

bruce aside. 

Without fans/supporters, there is no game. Tinkering with something not needing tinkering with alienates said fans.

Anyways. I am old and resistant to change for the sake of change. :lol: 

4 minutes ago, Nobody said:

It's arguably worse than VAR, and I fucking hate VAR. It makes so many games in the last 20 minutes feel like friendlies, especially if the better team is in a winning position. 

Completely aligned with you, mate.

17 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Let’s wait for the stats to show if it was good or not, using reasoning because “That’s the way it was” is not really proving anything for me. 

Which stats do you expect to prove owt here? I'm talking about the flow and pace of the game, nothing any stats could show being better or worse.

My team in Sweden won 13 out of 15 home games, drawing the other two, last season with the 5 sub rule and I can tell you it's absolute shite. When winning, it becomes too easy for the better team make a couple of double subs which disrupts the game and puts fresh legs on and makes it too easy to hold on to the lead.

2 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Which stats do you expect to prove owt here? I'm talking about the flow and pace of the game, nothing any stats could show being better or worse.

My team in Sweden won 13 out of 15 home games, drawing the other two, last season with the 5 sub rule and I can tell you it's absolute shite. When winning, it becomes too easy for the better team make a couple of double subs which disrupts the game and puts fresh legs on and makes it too easy to hold on to the lead.

I guess that makes it a premium on being the deeper team. Let's get on it then.

49 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Yup. First experience I had of it was in Norway the other month. Awful. Nee less subs aplenty trying to kill the game.

Especially given how players are more conditioned and fit than ever. 

3 hours ago, Nobody said:

Really don't know how the rules been voted in tbh clearly going to massively favour the top 4 teams making it even harder to get a result against them.

Guest HTT II

I’d make it a rule that of the 5 subs, 2 have to be academy/youth players. 

Edited by HTT II

Just now, HTT II said:

I’d make it a rule that of the 5 subs, 2 have to be academy/youth players. 

Was there anything wrong with 3 subs though? Seem like we are fucking around with things when it isn't necessary. Makes it more tactical and id think games better for the fans it's going to be harder to turn a result against a better team if they bring on 5 top class players to see a game out.

I just cannot see any advantage to a side with a poor bench (we've seen many of them) over one with £200m worth of talent, optimally trained and in peak physical condition, cocks up and ready to fuck an ageing and tiring Championship quality defence raw.

9 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

Was there anything wrong with 3 subs though? Seem like we are fucking around with things when it isn't necessary. Makes it more tactical and id think games better for the fans it's going to be harder to turn a result against a better team if they bring on 5 top class players to see a game out.

Didn't see anything wrong with 2 subs. And I'd make it out of a bench of 3.

13 hours ago, Kanji said:

I’m certain the coaching staff have these lads hooked up to the health monitors and they aren’t allowing any of them to exceed any pre determined red zones or risk points. 

And getting these poor boys their inhalers post-match. 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼

27 minutes ago, Cronky said:

We seem to have two teams, with not that much difference between the two in terms of overall quality. 

Bodes well for a cup run.

Really ? I think when you go past our starting 11 the gulf in quality is absolutely massive?

2 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

Really ? I think when you go past our starting 11 the gulf in quality is absolutely massive?

I think it is probably the preseason mix and match which leads to this opinion. Which to be fair, in a nod to Rafa,  has been a triumph for system over personnel. But moments of magic win tight games and I agree, not confident many of our back-ups have many of those moments in them.