Pre-season (2023/24)

bowlingcrofty

1 minute ago, David Edgar said:

Are you okay with me being allowed to voice my displeasure on a Newcastle Internet forum instead?

Yeah, sure. And I'm free to respond and disagree also :D

Some really smart planning of friendlies to get 90 mins in most players legs. Two great games at SJP. We faded badly in this one. Dummett knackered. Krafth with a crisis of confidence and Bruno and Willock simply disappearing leaving Joelinton the only mid on the pitch. 

Fantastic first half and a bit from us and we are nicely placed for next weekend when we can use 5 subs and combine the best squad available. 

Given the influx of players wanting to impress Nottingham Forest won't be a push over imo. Hopefully they are disjointed and overawed by the atmosphere.

Dubs - 7 - pretty good on the whole with a few quirks

Krafth - 6 (7 first half/5 second) - playing next to Jamal probably doesn't help but he had a mixed bag. Solid enough backup to tripps.

Lascelles - 6.5 - bit harsh, he wasn't that bad but he worries me on the ball sometimes

Botman - 8.5 - I love me some Dan Burn but Botman does everything with absolute calm, ease and professionalism. Couple of great spreading long ball passes too. Class so far.

Dummett - 6 - wasn't horrific but wasn't particularly impactful either. faded badly.

Willock - 5.5 - another probably harsh rating but good athletic first half, wasn't there for most of the second half and wasteful in the opportunities he got. 

Bruno - 6 - (8 first half/5 second) at his best and also at his anonymous worst in the 2nd. Hope he is saving himself. Uncharacteristic disappearance in the 2nd with willock that put us under constant pressure.

Joelinton - 8 - typical performance from Big Joe. Constant presence. Fantastic ball for the ASM goal.

Ritchie - 6 - great stamina but really past his time with us. You know what you are getting with him and it's solid but not wonderfully impactful.

ASM - 8 - worked hard for most of the game and tracked back well until the last quarter of the game. Wonderfully taken goal.

Wilson - 7 - nice goal. Great movement and gets on the ball so well. Missed service and space to really do much more.

Subs

Bondswell - 6 - switching ASM and Ritchie to protect him was probably a good idea. He looked nervous and was pulled about a fair deal but didn't disgrace himself at all.

Thought we looked knackered by the end but that's probably cos they had so much of the ball and moved it quickly and deliberately, so we were chasing a lot. Good result like, nice to be clinical too. Wouldn't have begrudged them the draw. 

1 minute ago, toontownman said:

Have to also say the opposition have been excellent. Really complimented us and vice versa. Great tests and took the friendlies seriously. Exactly what we needed.

It's why I liked the Intertoto. The games had that little bit extra intensity than the usual friendlies with a UEFA cup place up for grabs as well.

Think this perhaps showed what 5 subs will do in the last 15-20 mins of some games this season. You get 5 quality subs on and they can potentially control a game between them. 

It’s hugely beneficial to the top sides. We’ve got to strengthen up top.

9 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Some really smart planning of friendlies to get 90 mins in most players legs. Two great games at SJP. We faded badly in this one. Dummett knackered. Krafth with a crisis of confidence and Bruno and Willock simply disappearing leaving Joelinton the only mid on the pitch. 

Fantastic first half and a bit from us and we are nicely placed for next weekend when we can use 5 subs and combine the best squad available. 

Given the influx of players wanting to impress Nottingham Forest won't be a push over imo. Hopefully they are disjointed and overawed by the atmosphere.

Dubs - 7 - pretty good on the whole with a few quirks

Krafth - 6 (7 first half/5 second) - playing next to Jamal probably doesn't help but he had a mixed bag. Solid enough backup to tripps.

Lascelles - 6.5 - bit harsh, he wasn't that bad but he worries me on the ball sometimes

Botman - 8.5 - I love me some Dan Burn but Botman does everything with absolute calm, ease and professionalism. Couple of great spreading long ball passes too. Class so far.

Dummett - 6 - wasn't horrific but wasn't particularly impactful either. faded badly.

Willock - 5.5 - another probably harsh rating but good athletic first half, wasn't there for most of the second half and wasteful in the opportunities he got. 

Bruno - 6 - (8 first half/5 second) at his best and also at his anonymous worst in the 2nd. Hope he is saving himself. Uncharacteristic disappearance in the 2nd with willock that put us under constant pressure.

Joelinton - 8 - typical performance from Big Joe. Constant presence. Fantastic ball for the ASM goal.

Ritchie - 6 - great stamina but really past his time with us. You know what you are getting with him and it's solid but not wonderfully impactful.

ASM - 8 - worked hard for most of the game and tracked back well until the last quarter of the game. Wonderfully taken goal.

Wilson - 7 - nice goal. Great movement and gets on the ball so well. Missed service and space to really do much more.

Subs

Bondswell - 6 - switching ASM and Ritchie to protect him was probably a good idea. He looked nervous and was pulled about a fair deal but didn't disgrace himself at all.

Staggered at some of your scoring.  Dummet never put a foot wrong.  Joelinton was ineffective for most of the game and Willock worked his socks off and was a real threat.

6 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Thought we looked knackered by the end but that's probably cos they had so much of the ball and moved it quickly and deliberately, so we were chasing a lot. Good result like, nice to be clinical too. Wouldn't have begrudged them the draw. 

In reality we played most of the game with 11 men.  They on the other hand used about 18 players.  That’s why we looked knackered.

A little concerning to see a few nearly dead on their feet after a 90 mins but obviously very warm too.. I wonder if the changing the whole team after 45 mins in the previous games has left a few of them if a little off the pace. But have to trust the manager and his team know what they are doing.

Hopefully they get well rested now before the weekend, the hard work is essentially done.

2 minutes ago, SiLvOR said:

Quality pre season tbh. Likely due to me being way more invested in the club again, but I've not been this excited for a season since 11/12.

Not to mention the superb coverage by the club of the pre-season training and activities, such a great way to get fans interested in the squad and build affinity with the players and coaching staff. I devoured the YouTube videos.

3 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

A little concerning to see a few nearly dead on their feet after a 90 mins but obviously very warm too.. I wonder if the changing the whole team after 45 mins in the previous games has left a few of them if a little off the pace. But have to trust the manager and his team know what they are doing.

Hopefully they get well rested now before the weekend, the hard work is essentially done.

See my earlier post.  Basically we played against 18 or 19 men.  That's the only reason they looked knackered.  Howe touched on this very subject and wanted his players to experience 90 minutes of hard graft.  We won, had loads of possession and look fit.

3 minutes ago, Emotic said:

Not to mention the superb coverage by the club of the pre-season training and activities, such a great way to get fans interested in the squad and build affinity with the players and coaching staff. I devoured the YouTube videos.

Aye same. Great to see the club actually putting content out that is worth watching. Makes such a difference. 

11 minutes ago, Comegetasample said:

Very much enjoyed the 2 uncensored verses of Homecoming by Kanye West that was clearly played for the children at half time today. if I had a pound every time n****r was heard at full volume I would have exactly 3 pounds. 

:bluestar:

You should've heard the music in run up at Atalanta game man.

I'm almost positive they're using a CD for the warm up music as ACDC skipped a few times and then looped and eventually stopped. We ended up getting two renditions of blitzkrieg bop instead.

Then local hero got stuck in a loop and just ended prematurely.

Was a bit amateur hour.

16 minutes ago, Rod said:

Staggered at some of your scoring.  Dummet never put a foot wrong.  Joelinton was ineffective for most of the game and Willock worked his socks off and was a real threat.

Sure. Dummett and Ritchie both didn't do too much wrong but didn't offer a huge amount either. 

Hard working sure and was solid enough in the first half but Dummett tired.

I barely saw Willock in the second half other than a couple of breaks where the end ball was lacking. The team as a whole was closing down but I felt he and Bruno were too passive after we scored the second and we lost the battle for the middle. Dummett was tiring and Krath lost his head a little after the goal. We got murdered from then on down our wings and through the middle for 25 mins. Joelinton was the only one in our central mid with a constant presence and trying to regain control of the centre from my perspective. All that said I did say it was a harsh rating to be fair to myself and not Mr. Willock :p I wouldn't rate Dummett any higher though.

22 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

I was thinking this but also got to remember they had 5-6 fresh players on by about 60-70 minutes whereas we were keeping our players on to get 80-90 minutes out of everyone. Next week Forest will be in the same boat as us plus if anyone is knackered there'll be normal substitutions.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

DJ bloke cant time local hero right, game kicked off before it finished.

Also can one of the wor flags lot tell him to play the Alan Price version of blaydon races, this one is shit.

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I was thinking this but also got to remember they had 5-6 fresh players on by about 60-70 minutes whereas we were keeping our players on to get 80-90 minutes put of everyone. Next week Forest will be in the same boat as us plus if anyone is knackered there'll be normal substitutions.

Exactly.

Just now, RodneyCisse said:

Richie by far the worst for it, Bruno played a couple of perfect balls to him for it to be absolutely pointless.

Don't get him being involved at all Dummet and Lascelles will play a part this season he should be no where near the team.

I’m certain the coaching staff have these lads hooked up to the health monitors and they aren’t allowing any of them to exceed any pre determined red zones or risk points.