Pre-season (2024/25)

bowlingcrofty

5 minutes ago, St1pe said:

Haven’t seen much of pre-season bar the odd highlight but read everyone raving about Anderson. 

What position has he mostly been used in?

Box to box midfielder

Game finished 2-0.

Good viewing tbf, Miley looks comfortable again. Feel Tonali is slowly finding his feet.

Edited by Menace

I think based on preseason it would be difficult not to have Anderson in the starting XI. He's been consistently excellent, shows a lot of desire, plenty of creativity and vision, energy for days. I actually think the front 3 is going to be these three for Villa - Gordon, Isak, Almirón. All full of running, obviously Gordon missed two great chances but his link play was good, he was covering a lot of ground. 

I would say Tonali is probably going to start on the bench. Patchy play. Very composed, as you'd expect, and some moments of brilliance, but still figuring out how to play in this style.

My guess for Villa is:

Pope

Trippier

Schar

Botman 

Burn

Bruno

Joe

Anderson

Gordon

Almirón

Isak

Very strong bench as well. 

Edited by Memphis

1 hour ago, 54 said:

The problem you have, is that you basically state on the regular that the majority of our squad arn't good enough, and not top 6 quality, despite the fact that they got us into the Champions League not 3 months. It grates on people, and people get frustrated, when the players you continually put down have proven they're able to compete at that level at the latest possible evidence.

Especially when you say they're "not top 6 quality", thats a really arbitrary point especially when they've literally just proven that they are or can be over an entire season. 

Not just top 4 last season but top 4 form for the second half of the season before, from when Howe took over.

54 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Because he’s scored in a friendly? He might be a bonafide premier league player but are you confident he’s a bonafide top 6 winger? Is this performance  in pre season validating that opinion?

The point was more he’s scored in two friendlies in a row and in these pre season games, he’s looking like he’s continuing his form from last season. 

I don’t think he has to be a “top six winger”. Would you say Antonio Valencia was a top six winger? I think he just needs to be exactly who he is and chip in with goals like he’s doing. The “top six players” in our side are Isak and Wilson and they’re the one the side seems to be centered around. Their goals will win us games and points. 

I think Miggy is a solid Premier League player now and should 100% start every game that he’s available. 

My thing is, Miggy has been here now for four years and has climatized to the league. He’s 29 and as much as 21 year olds will be going for 50-60 million, you can’t buy experience. Those players will have teething issues and I guarantee Miggy will be running past them with ease because with his experience and know how, he’s a legitimate threat to teams now.  

6 minutes ago, Astroblack said:

The point was more he’s scored in two friendlies in a row and in these pre season games, he’s looking like he’s continuing his form from last season. 

I don’t think he has to be a “top six winger”. Would you say Antonio Valencia was a top six winger? I think he just needs to be exactly who he is and chip in with goals like he’s doing. The “top six players” in our side are Isak and Wilson and they’re the one the side seems to be centered around. Their goals will win us games and points. 

I think Miggy is a solid Premier League player now and should 100% start every game that he’s available. 

My thing is, Miggy has been here now for four years and has climatized to the league. He’s 29 and as much as 21 year olds will be going for 50-60 million, you can’t buy experience. Those players will have teething issues and I guarantee Miggy will be running past them with ease because with his experience and know how, he’s a legitimate threat to teams now.  

If that’s your opinion fair enough. I disagree. I don’t count pre season form Personally. I look at it for fitness and likelihood of starting. 

If he starts every match he can. There will be a good % of matches he just doesn’t have the ability to trouble defences enough. 

Different era of the PL. Give me a contemporary example. 

I love his pressing it sets the standard for the team.  He’s got good movement, fitness, pace. But for me he lacks that bit of quality to be a consistent threat and it will show through. 

Just now, The College Dropout said:

If that’s your opinion fair enough. I disagree. I don’t count pre season form Personally. I look at it for fitness and likelihood of starting. 

If he starts every match he can. There will be a good % of matches he just doesn’t have the ability to trouble defences enough. 

Different era of the PL. Give me a contemporary example. 

I love his pressing it sets the standard for the team.  He’s got good movement, fitness, pace. But for me he lacks that bit of quality to be a consistent threat and it will show through. 

Well I would say Almiron in our set up is more effective than Grealish in Man City’s. 

Disagree tbh. As a player how do you rate Almiron vs Grealish?

City bought Grealish when they were already the best team in the country, and one of the richest best run clubs in the world. Who was their right winger 2 years after their takeover?

Disagree tbh. As a player how do you rate Almiron vs Grealish?

I think Grealish is a better player than Almiron but in Man City’s set up, Grealish is more of a passenger where as in our set up, Almiron is a genuine goal threat 

I know Pep plays him and all that but I don’t see Grealish effecting games like he did at Villa. Maybe two or three or maybe even four phases occurred that led to the ball being where it landed and KDB played a pass to Haaland but I’ve seen plenty of City goals where Grealish had no involvement whatsoever. It’ll be like Ederson to Akanji to Rodri to KDB to Haaland. 

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

City bought Grealish when they were already the best team in the country, and one of the richest best run clubs in the world. Who was their right winger 2 years after their takeover?

Astro brought up Grealish not me. 

If your reply is meant to mean ‘we are still developing post takeover and we have a few players short of where we want to be eventually due to FFP’ I would agree with that 100%. 

I actually think FFP is a good thing for us.  If we went hell for leather and replace everyone like Boehly tried at Chelsea it often ends in disaster.  Its hard to build an identity to the squad with all new players. The fact we qualified for the CL early might hinder our league position this season but we wouldn't have been able to sign Tonali for example without it.

1 hour ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

Isaks ability to get past a man is sublime, he does it whilst looking like he is doing so much less than what AGM did.  AGM would drop his shoulders, fake left, fake right, do a pirouette and looked awesome doing it!  Isak just draws a man close then his touch and turn of pace and he's 2-3m away from his man.

why are you calling him AGM?

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Miggy showed last pre-season when he all of a sudden started scoring regularly what was to come.