Pre-season (2024/25): squad at training camp in Germany until 20th July

bowlingcrofty

19 hours ago, Stifler said:

They look shit though.

A Rolex Date is nowhere near £100k like. Probably about £40k.

Most expensive watches do look shit. They are purely status.

1 minute ago, madras said:

Most expensive watches do look shit. They are purely status.

Off topic, but a Rolex from 15-20 years ago was a great looking simple watch.

A Rolex today is far too big on the wrist, in an attempt to get people to notice. They went from simplistic and just a touch of something special, to flashy and a status symbol, even more so with the models that have multiple dials, and altitude indicators. You’re not using them as you drive to your business meeting in your Porsche.

Just now, Stifler said:

A Rolex today is far too big on the wrist, in an attempt to get people to notice. They went from simplistic and just a touch of something special, to flashy and a status symbol, even more so with the models that have multiple dials, and altitude indicators. You’re not using them as you drive to your business meeting in your Porsche.

But even then it was a ridiculous price for what it was, a watch. As an investment I get it.

1 hour ago, Stifler said:

As a Rolex (well, watches in general) collector, I feel personally attacked :lol:. If you don’t want all the flash and baggage that comes with a Rolex then just get a Tudor; they’ll fulfill all your tool watch requirements at a fraction of the price. Same company and basically what Rolex’s were 20 years ago.

Rolex’s today are still simple and timeless(ha ha) for the most part. The added complications are just for Horology nerds and pushing the envelope for what watchmakers can achieve; which I love. For me, they still offer one of, if not the best value in terms of luxury timepieces in the market. In saying that,  getting your hands on one at an AD is the most obnoxious buying experience in the world though.

Edited by McCormick

3 minutes ago, McCormick said:

As a Rolex (well, watches in general) collector, I feel personally attacked :lol:. If you don’t want all the flash and baggage that comes with a Rolex then just get a Tudor; they’ll fulfill all your tool watch requirements at a fraction of the price. Same company and basically what Rolex’s were 20 years ago.

Rolex’s today are still simple and timeless(ha ha) for the most part. The added complications are just for Horology nerds and pushing the envelope for what watchmakers can achieve; which I love. For me, they still offer one of, if not the best value in terms of luxury timepieces in the market. In saying that,  getting your hands on one at an AD is the most obnoxious buying experience in the world though.

If I could afford a 40mm Day-Date, that would be in my collection in a heart beat. :lol:  The Mille, while nice and the obvious status symbol I wouldn't bother with, not my particular taste. Tonali probably has a Rolex too, who are we kidding?

Watch nonces unite!

14 minutes ago, McCormick said:

I actually like them to be honest, but the more simplistic ones with a smaller case.

Brushed steel, with a black face, no date.

1 hour ago, McCormick said:

Tool watch ? I wear a Garmin Fenix and I can't imagine what more I'd need.

1 hour ago, madras said:

Tool watch ? I wear a Garmin Fenix and I can't imagine what more I'd need.

That’s completely fair :lol:. Mechanical watches are fairly pointless, especially when you’re usually just checking the time on your phone anyway. I dunno though, I just like them.