Pre-season (2024/25)

bowlingcrofty

Just now, KaKa said:

Yeah, when we've all tired and dropped deeper. Stop it man :lol:

You weren't saying all this in the first half. We get it you don't like the guy!

You're right, I don't like him.  Cos he hoofs these waster passes too often.  Amongst a lot of other issues.

Doesn't matter that we have dropped deeper.  We need CBs who can by without reverting to hit and hopes. 

He has played some passes today, but I think that was cos he was being given a bit more time than he'd get in a prem game.

Decent result, and some good in game situations. Would say 2-1 was a fair result, first 60 minutes we where the better side, last 30 was a bit of backs to the walls, with them creating chances. 

Guest reefatoon

Another solid run out. Been a very productive pre season against some good opposition for a change. We played better in the second half yesterday and better in the first today. Roll on next weekend, can’t wait.

Edited by reefatoon

2 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

You're right, I don't like him.  Cos he hoofs these waster passes too often.  Amongst a lot of other issues.

Doesn't matter that we have dropped deeper.  We need CBs who can by without reverting to hit and hopes. 

He has played some passes today, but I think that was cos he was being given a bit more time than he'd get in a prem game.

Yeah, it was pretty obvious.

Join Adam Pearson at the gates after training then and tell Howe to stop playing him because he doesn't play the perfect pass every time.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, it was pretty obvious.

Join Adam Pearson at the gates after training then and tell Howe to stop playing him because he doesn't play the perfect pass every time.

Are you okay with me being allowed to voice my displeasure on a Newcastle Internet forum instead?

Surprised we’ve not tried a 5 at the back  at all this preseason; a low-block (when we’re hanging onto a lead) with Targett, Burn, Botman, Schar and Trippier would see a lot of games out quite comfortably imo.

Another promising performance and result.

Positives:

Solid at the back despite a whole other back 5 being played.  Botman in particular looks really classy, there is a Terminator cool about him. The midfield in the first half played well and had some good movement that stretched the opposition in ways we could only have dreamt of under Bruce. ASM, albeit sporadically, was challenging back, if he can be convinced of the value in doing this consistently and in in line with the systematic approach Howe has for this team pressing he could go to the next level.

Concerns:

Right wing.  Sometimes Bruno and other midfielders were taking one too many touches, against sharper opposition this could cost us.