Pre-season (2024/25)

bowlingcrofty

I'd like to see Longstaff get a run in the side at Shelvey's expense tbh, particularly with the CBs capable of playing those long balls from deep. Shelvey did well last season but he's pretty one-note. Obviously Bruno drops deeper in that scenario. 

Like I said during the game as well, I've a hunch that's what Howe is gearing towards. If Longstaff starts fulfilling the potential he showed early doors then he's easily a more dynamic option than Shelvey. 

1 minute ago, Tsunami said:

Should be mentioned that we gave away a really poor goal defensively and Dubs wasn’t great on the shot. I fancy Pope saves that.

It was against the run of play mind. 

Trippier took a free kick in their half and their man didn’t retreat far enough. Ball hit him and ricocheted to another of their players and he hit a long ball to their striker who caught us out of position. Ref should have blown. 

2 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Should be mentioned that we gave away a really poor goal defensively and Dubs wasn’t great on the shot. I fancy Pope saves that.

That was a stupid error by Trippier as well. Never seen him make mistakes like that before but he made a few today

3 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Without new signings Shelvey will absolutely continue to play games deep with Bruno further forward. Why would you think he wouldn’t? At the moment Shelvey is probably still in our strongest XI - unless Willock/Longstaff/Anderson can push him out.

Yes exactly. Bruno played out of his natural position because we were light in midfield, he was the better option to push forward while Shelvey remained at DLP. This season we will have a new CM which means Bruno can play in his natural spot meaning Shelvey is still second choice. That was my only point.

Signing Paqueta over any other CM still means Shelvey is a big part of our midfield. 

Edited by Nine

1 minute ago, Nine said:

Which was my original point - 'weak link' Shelvey is still second choice [emoji38][emoji38] Holy shit man 

24 appearances last season.  He's not second choice BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE A BETTER PLAYER TO PLAY WHERE BRUNO IS.

12 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Based on the team selection at the end of last season, he won't be far away.

That was last season. Midfield is a position we are looking for a player in, and so I don't think it's likely he starts this season.

Just now, KaKa said:

That was last season. Midfield is a position we are looking for a player in, and so I don't think it's likely he starts this season.

We 100% sign a CM, just to light there going into a new season which is why we played Bruno out of his natural position during our run it. (Not saying he cant play there he was great, just that is real position is where Shelvey plays). Point being to the 'Shelvey is a weak link' posters is that signing a new CM still means that Shelvey will keep his position of second choice going forward, it doesnt matter if he started last season or not. 

I’d like Bruno to stay in the position he played last season. He was great. Scored goals and broke up play and made pinpoint passes.

Think we’d lose a lot restricting him as purely defensive midfielder 

There’s a genuine argument as to what Bruno’s best position is - particularly in the PL. Without an upgrade of quality in midfield I think he will continue to play higher up because he has quality going forward and we lack that creativity player. That means Shelvey will, unfortunately, likely continue to be first choice in the deeper role. 

Whether we we signed a holding midfielder or a progressive attacking midfielder either would effectively replace Shelvey in the team - or at the least and push down the pecking order to start matches.

18 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Willock

Bruno       Joe

Is our best midfield 3 currently. There's no need to start Shelvey even if we dont sign Paqueta.

With no signings my front 6 would be this, ASM, Anderson & Wilson.

Just now, Nine said:

We 100% sign a CM, just to light there going into a new season which is why we played Bruno out of his natural position during our run it. (Not saying he cant play there he was great, just that is real position is where Shelvey plays). Point being to the 'Shelvey is a weak link' posters is that signing a new CM still means that Shelvey will keep his position of second choice going forward, it doesnt matter if he started last season or not. 

This is exactly how I see things too.

7 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

There’s a genuine argument as to what Bruno’s best position is - particularly in the PL. Without an upgrade of quality in midfield I think he will continue to play higher up because he has quality going forward and we lack that creativity player. That means Shelvey will, unfortunately, likely continue to be first choice in the deeper role. 

Whether we we signed a holding midfielder or a progressive attacking midfielder either would effectively replace Shelvey in the team - or at the least and push down the pecking order to start matches.

I think this is where the confusion between us is coming from, I 100% see Bruno taking up his natural defensive role. Others dont and thats fine. For me Shelvey will be second choice next season regardless of who we sign in CM.

My only point being, whoever we sign going forward Shelvey retains his spot as second choice DM - Paqueta or whoever you like, it doesnt upgrade Shelvey. It will be Bruno/Shelvey in that role.

Edited by Nine

3 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

With no signings my front 6 would be this, ASM, Anderson & Wilson.

I know Shelvey got injured towards the end of last season and he'd been playing before that, but I do feel there was a huge chuck of "continuity" about Shelvey playing. Obviously distinct lack of options, Willock not being in form etc too. But as Shelvey was out and not coming back in, Willock started to show more of what I think he's capable of (still limited, clearly) and he was the one making those forward runs from midfield. I do think it's the better option to drop Shelvey from those starting line ups and move Willock in. I think that's what Howe will do, personally, if we dont get another midfielder in. It will obviously depend on Willock, though. 

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

5 minutes ago, LV said:

I’d like Bruno to stay in the position he played last season. He was great. Scored goals and broke up play and made pinpoint passes.

Think we’d lose a lot restricting him as purely defensive midfielder 

1 minute ago, Jaqen said:

Was Bruno not more of a double pivot at Lyon? Unless we bring in a really good CM I feel he's a bit wasted as the single pivot in a three. 

Have you guys not been seeing him rack up goals and assists from that exact position? He's not restricted in that role at all.

Think it's more likely we get another athletic runner in the RCM position that can get in the box and also help cover the winger and right back if needed, similar to what Joe does on the left.

Bruno will then be central to all the play in the middle, where he will also still have some freedom to move about with two athletic number 8s to either side that can cover for him when needed.

That's what I see happening. Might be wrong, but that's what I anticipate going forward.

3 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

I know Shelvey got injured towards the end of last season and he'd been playing before that, but I do feel there was a huge chuck of "continuity" about Shelvey playing. Obviously distinct lack of options, Willock not being in form etc too. But as Shelvey was out and not coming back in, Willock started to show more of what I think he's capable of (still limited, clearly) and he was the one making those forward runs from midfield. I do think it's the better option to drop Shelvey from those starting line ups and move Willock in. I think that's what Howe will do, personally, if we dont get another midfielder in. I think it's the best option too. It will obviously depend on Willock, though. 

This is a good point too. Even if no one comes in, I think it's more likely we actually push Willock or even Longstaff into the first 11 ahead of keeping Shelvey in there.

4 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

I'm not just making a point [emoji38]

Fair enough :lol:

I just have no doubts we will get the payers the manager wants in. Worst case scenario, we will loan someone in.

There are a lot of players that will be available on loan towards the close of the window.

@KaKafair enough, but that's not the point I was addressing. It was that you can acknowledge that Shelvey has come a long way, whilst still not being good enough, there's no need for the hyperbole.

As for Bruno, at Lyon he played as a number six, at a Newcastle he's being played as a number eight. 

Edited by The Prophet

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

@KaKafair enough, but that's not the point I was addressing. It was that you can acknowledge that Shelvey has come a long way, whilst still not being good enough, there's no need for the hyperbole.

As for Bruno, at Lyon he played as a number six, at a Newcastle he's being played as a number eight. 

I think Shelvey is good enough to back up Bruno for this coming season at least. I don't see him in the starting 11 still, going forward, and wouldn't be particularly keen on that.

Bruno has played at both the number 6 and the number 8 since he's joined, and has continued to produce both goals and assists in either role.

Our best performance of the season against Arsenal, he played as a number 6, with Joe and Longstaff playing as number 8s. He was central to all of our play, and also scored in that game.