Burnley vs. Newcastle United: 22/05/22 @ 4pm (No UK TV)

Decky

1 minute ago, HUGZ said:

I'd watch a Newcastle pre season friendly over the Champions League final.

But if they weren’t showing the Newcastle pre season friendly you watch… ?

17 minutes ago, LFEE said:

I find that a very odd and a bit of a sad outlook. I dare say it’s because I’ve always thought of myself as a football fan first and NUFC fan second, hence why I’m balanced with refereeing decisions when other wear B&W specs.

Surprised you don’t watch the KO stuff and finals of Cup competitions etc or big match ups in various leagues. 

I did specify elite level (in terms of where my interest is). I love football and consume an awful lot of it, including PL, I just couldn't give a shite about the outcomes of battles between the rancid six and their continental equivalents. 

With Newcastle it's about that whole feeling part of something thing, which tbh I don't have yet, but in general I love football because of the enjoyment that I get from the game at its base level - high quality football where there's something to play for. For all its pagentry and concentration of power and wealth, the Champions League still has that in abundance. Likewise the PL has it with the title race, top 4, and relegation battle.

It's funny because Pre-Southgate I'd rather Newcastle have won a throw than England won the World Cup, totally different now and the playing side of international tournaments feels like the aspect of football that's least tainted by the stink of capitalism and have become some of the most fun to watch as a result. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Guest HTT II

Southgate and England and my boy’s footy saved me from giving up entirely and only just and even now you won’t see me getting another season ticket, I’m happy to be an armchair fan for the rest of my life, regardless of our success!

53 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I'd have both on. Still remember watching Aguero's goal go in while we were playing absolutely shite at Goodison Park. 

Aye I was at goodison that day as well. Didn't really realise how big the whole city thing was til the next day. Too much drink to care more than likely ha

Basically Sky/BT know football fans will tune into something rather than nothing. COVID showed that. 

They’ll spend loads on the the 4 games (2xTitle 2xRelegation) so less other games shown that time slot the better for them.

2 minutes ago, jack j said:

Aye I was at goodison that day as well. Didn't really realise how big the whole city thing was til the next day. Too much drink to care more than likely ha

In fairness we had a chance of finishing 4th at the time. Lasted about 45mins ?

55 minutes ago, LFEE said:

I find that a very odd and a bit of a sad outlook. I dare say it’s because I’ve always thought of myself as a football fan first and NUFC fan second, hence why I’m balanced with refereeing decisions when other wear B&W specs.

Surprised you don’t watch the KO stuff and finals of Cup competitions etc or big match ups in various leagues. 

Whereas, I'm only a football fan because of Newcastle. Had no interest in it at first really, but all my mates at school did and all were interested in Newcastle first and foremost.

So gradually, I started going along with that, listening to the radio, reading the match reports, going along to games. So everything, to me, is through the prism of Newcastle. I know the players, our history, our ambitions, our highs and lows. It means something to me - most other teams and their games don't. 

So, there are no dead rubbers for me - even friendlies are all about testing out youth players, or seeing a glimpse of a new signing. In contrast, I only watch most other games because they're on and better than EastEnders. But even if I accepted a game being a dead rubber in the wider context of football 'achievement', I'd still want to watch Newcastle first.

I don't care much at all about which one of the two wins the title this season. Nor who ends up in a CL spot, though I would if we were competing for either one of those. Don't even care much about who wins the CL final - just looking forward to being entertained by a good game, but the result won't affect my feelings in any way ten minutes after it's over.

Likewise, international football. Mostly, it's quite boring outside of the main tournaments, and often I'm looking to see how any Newcastle players, or players linked to us, get on. Though a lot of the time I'm happy if no-one is called up, because less time away or chance of injury.

Even the tournaments themselves I get a bit annoyed with. I'll watch games with my mates, but I'm not that invested in the national team. Worse, during a tournament it's like going to the pub at Christmas, when you can't get your favourite seat, the bar is crammed and it's full of braying part-timers who don't know the rules.

This weekend, had Burnley been safe too and therefore our game had nothing to do with the relegation spots, if I was given the choice I'd have watched our game in preference to any of the others on Sky and kept up with the other scores on my phone, only flicked over for a couple of minutes only if something really exciting was happening. Before switching back again and wondering if we'd give Dwight Gayle a runout.

"Those weren't bear-shaped clouds, nor shark, nor honey badger. Those are goddamned Magpies, and anyone know knows anything at all about them knows who is represented by those great birds of prey.… 'Behold the Magpies of the Lords of the North!" 

- Frophinia of the (york) Shire

22-05-22.thumb.jpg.a30209cfbfeb6a48bfdac5c13853c7a8.jpg

Burnley 1 Newcastle 2

Brentford 1 Leeds 1

4 hours ago, HUGZ said:

I'd watch a Newcastle pre season friendly over the Champions League final.

I remember I think it was the Olympics opening ceremony in London and everyone saying what an amazing spectacle it was

And I was watching Newcastle v Maritimo or something in a pre season friendly instead 

4 hours ago, HTT II said:

Southgate and England and my boy’s footy saved me from giving up entirely and only just and even now you won’t see me getting another season ticket, I’m happy to be an armchair fan for the rest of my life, regardless of our success!

This is where Im at as well to be honest. Ive now got a mint streaming site subscription thanks to @Rocker too.

1 hour ago, Hank Marvin said:

"Those weren't bear-shaped clouds, nor shark, nor honey badger. Those are goddamned Magpies, and anyone know knows anything at all about them knows who is represented by those great birds of prey.… 'Behold the Magpies of the Lords of the North!" 

- Frophinia of the (york) Shire

22-05-22.thumb.jpg.a30209cfbfeb6a48bfdac5c13853c7a8.jpg

Burnley 1 Newcastle 2

Brentford 1 Leeds 1

What's this crock of shit? 

16 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

What's this crock of shit? 

That's an hour of my life. Colorized, 2022.

Also.

WE'RE GOING TO SAVE LEEDS UNITED! [emoji38]

I don't want Leeds down tbh, Nottingham Forest are gonna get promoted, then next year Blackburn Rovers and year after Sheff Wed etc etc...

We're putting the band back together - I want my Panini Sticker album league 94/95.

I'm still working how to put Wimbledon back together, may take a while... :undecided:

5 minutes ago, Hank Marvin said:

That's an hour of my life. Colorized, 2022.

Also.

WE'RE GOING TO SAVE LEEDS UNITED! [emoji38]

I don't want Leeds down tbh, Nottingham Forest are gonna get promoted, then next year Blackburn Rovers and year after Sheff Wed etc etc...

We're putting the band back together - I want my Panini Sticker album league 94/95.

I'm still working how to put Wimbledon back together, may take a while... :undecided:

So what's a goblin then? 

1 minute ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

So what's a goblin then? 

I wouldn't advise it, but if you want a first hand experience, there's a few thousand of them swarming around Trafalgar square right now.

Make sure you don't provoke them by staring at the ones shitting in the fountain, it's a cultural thing.

2 minutes ago, Hank Marvin said:

I wouldn't advise it, but if you want a first hand experience, there's a few thousand of them swarming around Trafalgar square right now.

Make sure you don't provoke them by staring at the ones shitting in the fountain, it's a cultural thing.

Oh yeah, I know the ones.