Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

2 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

It’s what you do - every day I go to work I walk in and announce “can I just tell you - I’m not leaving any time soon”.

Like Leo on the Wolf of Wall Street?

1 minute ago, Jesse Pinkman said:

If his head is turned, is there not a risk he holds back a lot of his hidden gem players for when he moves to Man Utd? 

Can we trust him this transfer window? 

If he is an unprofessional twat then it's possible.

If Newcastle thinks they can't trust him they'd remove him right away.

Edited by McDog

Can we trust him this transfer window? I don't trust him after the last one!!! A gambler and gammy toe. What a great window. Almost 150 million spent and one of the 3 sometimes is on the field.

Edited by OverThere

6 hours ago, Gawalls said:

It’s what you do - every day I go to work I walk in and announce “can I just tell you - I’m not leaving any time soon”.

Tbf I doubt your gaffer just read in the paper that you’re thinking about joining the firm round the corner :) 

2 hours ago, Jesse Pinkman said:

If his head is turned, is there not a risk he holds back a lot of his hidden gem players for when he moves to Man Utd? 

No.

7 hours ago, Gawalls said:

I'm the exact opposite, I go in and announce "I'm outta here as soon as possible"

15 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

I tell my boss that I’ve no interest in leaving as I am responding to emails from recruiters setting up interviews.

i like the element of surprise 

Seriously, I always have a beer in the fridge in case I get home and it's still on works time. It's the principle.

15 hours ago, Jesse Pinkman said:

Semi-sarcastic, semi-serious - if we all agree our best transfer window was the one before he got involved (Trippier, Bruno, Burn, Botman attempt etc.), it might not be such a bad thing.

Nil desperandum lads. Incidentally I think all this "it's impossible for us to get to Tottenham's level" talk is drek.

2 hours ago, 80 said:

Semi-sarcastic, semi-serious - if we all agree our best transfer window was the one before he got involved (Trippier, Bruno, Burn, Botman attempt etc.), it might not be such a bad thing.

Was it our best window? Or was it more that our squad was so poor at the time anyone we signed would likely be an upgrade? I mean, you've got Trippier and Burn in there and we've had plenty of people say recently that Livramento should be playing ahead of both of them.

1 minute ago, Keegans Export said:

Was it our best window? Or was it more that our squad was so poor at the time anyone we signed would likely be an upgrade? I mean, you've got Trippier and Burn in there and we've had plenty of people say recently that Livramento should be playing ahead of both of them.

Yeah, I think it was.  Trippier, Burn, Bruno, Targett, Wood.  Kept us up comfortably and formed a core of the team that got us to 4th.  Botman was one they tried to bring in as well, so he’s one we’ve had on the radar from day one. 

Summer gone was Ashworth’s first ’proper’ window.  Hmm. 

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yeah, I think it was.  Trippier, Burn, Bruno, Targett, Wood.  Kept us up comfortably and formed a core of the team that got us to 4th.  Botman was one they tried to bring in as well, so he’s one we’ve had on the radar from day one. 

Summer gone was Ashworth’s first ’proper’ window.  Hmm. 

The youngsters are hardly flowing in either. 

Not sure quite the right place to post but seems to be this guys doing, has this stuff been reported widely? (From the Guardian match report, Louise Taylor)

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/jan/06/sunderland-newcastle-fa-cup-match-report

A thorough review of the club’s medical and sports science protocols allied to major changes in the physiotherapy department underline Newcastle’s concern at their extensive casualty list but, mentally, this was very much a thoroughly restorative, psychologically healing sort of day.

Howe seems slightly reluctant to embrace his club’s new psychologist, Dr Ian Mitchell, into the first team’s inner sanctum. Yet such was the gulf in quality that, bar a few moments of unnecessary off-the-ball aggression between Anthony Gordon and Hume, Mitchell – a highly respected figure appointed by Newcastle’s sporting director, Dan Ashworth – would have been almost redundant here.

14 hours ago, Tiresias said:

Not sure quite the right place to post but seems to be this guys doing, has this stuff been reported widely? (From the Guardian match report, Louise Taylor)

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/jan/06/sunderland-newcastle-fa-cup-match-report

Does she think our players needed hypnotising so they could cope with the "atmosphere" or something?

14 hours ago, Tiresias said:

WKL naming names, so it is likely true or has truth in it.  There is clearly a problem which isn’t ’bad luck’ re injuries.  Sounds like there are more issues around the appointments tbh.  

Stopped reading after

"In recent weeks Newcastle’s manager has looked a man in denial"

Reporters are not football managers/coaches, we absolutely need an opinion from them but take a leaf out of Henry Winters book and 'own' your thoughts.

Jenas and Garth Crooks do it all the time "what Pep needs to do is....." 

Fuck off man, give us facts and figures to back up your opinion or say nowt. Your not an expert because someone gave you an orange box to stand on.

I think another factor that makes this unlikely is how likely are we to allow him to move to Man Utd before September the 1st. Remember the fee we had to pay and the extended gardening leave Brighton made him sit out before he was allowed to join us? There is no way we wouldn’t be insulating ourselves in a  similar way, were he to move from us. So are Man Utd happy to hold out for the person they see as the best fit and remain rudderless for the next two windows? Or do they get someone currently available, who can come in and have an immediate effect? Just my two pennies worth

On 06/01/2024 at 16:52, Tiresias said:

She can’t write. I actually know her and she’s a sound person, but, yeah, she should stop writing.