Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

32 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Not the best source but expands on articles where he isn’t happy with the role at club.

If true a bit worrying as surely he was brought in to have final say on football matters.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/dan-ashworth-eddie-howe-and-too-many-voices-why-newcastle-chief-is-quitting-for-man-united/

Given he himself sets up a "traffic light" system for transfers, involving recruitment and the manager, I dare say that's nonsense. 

He also regularly emphasises recruitment is one aspect of his job. 

Just now, leffe186 said:

Yeah, we ended up getting 5-8M from Chelsea after those photos came out. Still feels like it should be more.

I’d imagine given his tenure and how much things have inflated in the football world they will be on the hook for more, probably a record for someone in that role. :lol:

I think the disappointing aspect of this as far as we are concerned is how short his tenure has been, of course we don’t expect undying devotion but given his position for him to depart so quickly is a bit of a kick in teeth. 

34 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Not the best source but expands on articles where he isn’t happy with the role at club.

If true a bit worrying as surely he was brought in to have final say on football matters.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/dan-ashworth-eddie-howe-and-too-many-voices-why-newcastle-chief-is-quitting-for-man-united/

To be honest I always wonder what’s Howe’s position when it comes to transfers. 

No brainer for Ashworth to go tbh. They’re one of the biggest clubs in the world and he has no affinity with us.

Here’s hoping we take Man U to the cleaners over Compen and, he makes not a jot of difference to them. If he’s as good as we believed then it’s a huge appointment for them.

Just now, r0cafella said:

I’d imagine given his tenure and how much things have inflated in the football world they will be on the hook for more, probably a record for someone in that role. :lol:

I think the disappointing aspect of this as far as we are concerned is how short his tenure has been, of course we don’t expect undying devotion but given his position for him to depart so quickly is a bit of a kick in teeth. 

Yeah, was all very similar to Arnesen - even more so as his role was relatively rare in English football at the time. We called him Funtime Franky :lol:. Was actually an integral part of why I hated what Chelsea/Abramovich did so much.

Just now, leffe186 said:

Yeah, was all very similar to Arnesen - even more so as his role was relatively rare in English football at the time. We called him Funtime Franky :lol:. Was actually an integral part of why I hated what Chelsea/Abramovich did so much.

Fucking hell, it all makes sense now. It was a massive thing at the time I vaguely remember. 

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Fucking hell, it all makes sense now. It was a massive thing at the time I vaguely remember. 

It was just such fun that first year - loads of cheap young players coming in, building an identity, a manager we all loved (once Santini got binned). Thinking we could challenge the hegemony. Then Russia Abramovich crushed us again.

4 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

We haven't made an innovative or original transfer since he joined, no sign of any Brighton style transfers at all which is disappointing. 

I'd argue Minteh could end up becoming that. Obviously we need to see how he kicks on when back with the squad, but has the hallmarks (loan move in a lesser league going well, flying under the radar etc).

6 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

We haven't made an innovative or original transfer since he joined, no sign of any Brighton style transfers at all which is disappointing. 

Minteh?

Also had to pad out the Academy just to make us even slightly competitive (Heffernan, Sanusi, Shahar, now this Alfie Harrison) so see if any of those make it here/can be flipped for profit.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

6 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

I wonder how much involvement he's had in signing the various U18s we've picked up in the past year or so, obviously he's been heavily involved in the England set-up in the past. Could just as easily be someone else's influence of course.

1 minute ago, sushimonster85 said:

I'd argue Minteh could end up becoming that. Obviously we need to see how he kicks on when back with the squad, but has the hallmarks (loan move in a lesser league going well, flying under the radar etc).

I’d argue he also hasn’t been here long enough and even he said the squad will take three summer windows to overhaul. 

Will be a shame for him to leave before his confessed three summers even happen but it is what it is. 

Brighton already had that scouting model set up too so not sure how effectual Dan was on it. 

So potentially he could steel all of our summer transfer targets and also take some our players with release clauses.

It would make me sick to see Bruno and Big Joe in a Man U shirt

13 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

Minteh is the definition of a Brighton style transfer tbh.

also it takes time to set up a scouting network like brightons - he’s not travelling around the world looking for these players himself [emoji38]

Just now, Ben said:

So potentially he could steel all of our summer transfer targets and also take some our players with release clauses.

It would make me sick to see Bruno and Big Joe in a Man U shirt

Bruno is likely leaving, but it won't be to go to Man U. Imagine he only leave for one of the truly 'elite' sides, reckon it will be PSG. 

Of course he’s already said yes, there’s no way they would progress without knowing he’d go to them. 

It’s all just a show, look at Man U making big waves, Sir Jim’s impact already being felt, yada, yada, yada. 

It’s just a stage show to deflect away from the truth…there still owned by the Glaziers, they’re still a shadow of themselves and will be for a while yet. 

Whatever happens surely he can't join them any time soon? Like when we got him from Brighton, there should be a long notice period and a long period of gardening leave, so he can't take too much knowledge with him.

Disappointed in him if he wants to go like, and I don't really see the Man Utd project as being any better than ours. They have made some changes but it really remains to be seen if they actually care about the club.

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

19 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Bruno is likely leaving, but it won't be to go to Man U. Imagine he only leave for one of the truly 'elite' sides, reckon it will be PSG. 

Bruno is not likely leaving, wash your mooth oot.

I hate Man United as much as anyone but some of the comments on here are just daft. If we finish 4th we are over the moon and say how brilliant a season we have had, finishing 4th is seen as a bad season for Man United. A very badly run Man United will finish no lower than 6th. Even now they are still the biggest club in England and third biggest in the world after Madrid and Barca. They will always generate more money than us no matter what. I can totally see why Ashworth would want to leave us for them and I don't blame him. Its the likes of Spurs not Man United we should be looking to replace in the big 6 and even that will be hard enough.

Edited by Geogaddi