Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

“He has lived his life at nicely-run teams that people like. Now he’s gone to possibly the most-hated club within football and it will be hard for him to get cheap deals done,” the former colleague said before he joined Newcastle. “Everyone knows how much money they have and everyone will want to do him over; it’s not somewhere he’s been before.”

Regardless, Newcastle’s owners certainly saw Ashworth as the sporting director they needed to mastermind their St James’ Park revolution, and now Manchester United’s do too.

^from the athletic. 

^^ first off, fuck you, whoever said that to the athletic. "possibly the most-hated club within football" "everyone knows how much money they have" 

How does that Millwall song go again...

It's obviously an extremely attractive job. One of the biggest clubs in the world in both revenue and stature, who have now not won the league in a decade because of incompetence and the quality of their two main rivals. Room for improvement without many of the obstacles we face. A close friend involved, which should mean there's trust in what they are trying to change, and closer to home. 

I think I'd be more surprised if he stays to be honest. It'd say a lot if he turns them down.

16 minutes ago, 80 said:

As I understand it, all that infrastructural stuff at Man U is relatively shambolic nowadays having not really been invested in since the mid-2000s.

I remember Ronaldo complaining about it but you would imagine it is still far superior to what we had at the point of the takeover, where players were using wheelie bins as plunge pools or whatever it was.

8 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

I remember Ronaldo complaining about it but you would imagine it is still far superior to what we had at the point of the takeover, where players were using wheelie bins as plunge pools or whatever it was.

I'm sure it's better than ours was, but that's an astonishingly low bar. I wouldn't be surprised if our facilities (also talking about academy, scouting, women and such) are comparable now. Both clubs with massive room for improvement, in a way that isn't the case at many other big, ambitious clubs.

32 minutes ago, TBG said:

Can't go into the Bournemouth game with this over our head.

Yasir must come out with a statement, NOW

:thup: starting to worry Ritchie won't be here ten more years either. Needs clarified. 

21 minutes ago, 80 said:

I'm sure it's better than ours was, but that's an astonishingly low bar. I wouldn't be surprised if our facilities (also talking about academy, scouting, women and such) are comparable now. Both clubs with massive room for improvement, in a way that isn't the case at many other big, ambitious clubs.

I doubt our academy or scouting network are anywhere near their level, the women’s team certainly isn’t.

3 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

I doubt our academy or scouting network are anywhere near their level, the women’s team certainly isn’t.

Judging by their signings over the past decade, I'm not so sure... They appear to be less sophisticated than Brentford and Aston Villa. The key point is they're way off the pace of the teams they're meant to be going toe to toe with i.e. Champions' League winners.

I don’t think we should worry about it too much myself. The club is still going forward with its project and Eales, Staveley & Co would find a suitable replacement who may actually show the club a bit more loyalty. He’s a man in a suit at the end of the day. 

Not sure how this effects Rochdale and the like, not remotely would be my guess, but I know who these new rules benefit and hinder as Man City and Newcastle lose top execs to Man United.

Yep, didn't see that coming a hundred million miles off.

10 minutes ago, GideonShandy said:

If he leaves tomorrow his brief tenure will be remembered primarily for the Tonali fiasco.

Aye, but unless you're a bit of a moron, you probably aren't blaming him for the Tonali fiasco.

4 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I really hope we play hard ball over the compensation here and if they want him without the gardening leave it’s an extra 10 million on top.

Didn’t we pay substantial compo for him? Whatever we paid, I’d want double from those cunts.

13 minutes ago, GideonShandy said:

If he leaves tomorrow his brief tenure will be remembered primarily for the Tonali fiasco.

:lol:

I'm still to see anyone come up with a good argument for how the fuck he (or anyone else for that matter) should have known.

38 minutes ago, 80 said:

I think ours went from lower league standard to adequate Premier League standard. I think Manchester United's is just no longer world leading. A quick search tells me only 12 years ago they created a £25m medical facility at Carrington, which includes both hospital and sports science wings. It was outfitted with £13m of medical equipment from sponsor Toshiba.

6 minutes ago, 80 said:

Judging by their signings over the past decade, I'm not so sure... They appear to be less sophisticated than Brentford and Aston Villa. The key point is they're way off the pace of the teams they're meant to be going toe to toe with i.e. Champions' League winners.

They are levels above those clubs in terms of the players they can attract and afford though, so more often than not they buy big name ready made stars at the high end of the market.

They won the FA youth cup in 2022 with Mainoo and Garnacho, these players will go on to be better than anything Brentford have ever produced from their academy.

This isn’t to say these things cannot be improved, more that it is more difficult to make a significant impact than if you are starting out with the basics like he inherited here.