Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

10 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Likewise.  I’m never trusting of being told someone is fantastic with little data or information to support why that person is so fantastic.  Interested to note that you’re unimpressed by his data analysis appointments (and I imagine you’d have been very much casting your eyes across that).  Didn’t you mention previously that Liverpool’s team was Harvard PhD types, and ours … weren’t?

Completely agree.

Yes, that’s correct. I can personally confirm our new head of data doesn’t know anything about stats/ML/AI/whatever, but probably best I don’t expand on that. It’s the only info I do have on Ashworth’s job here and it’s a bad miss.

5 hours ago, Tsunami said:

No brainer for Ashworth to go tbh. They’re one of the biggest clubs in the world and he has no affinity with us.

Here’s hoping we take Man U to the cleaners over Compen and, he makes not a jot of difference to them. If he’s as good as we believed then it’s a huge appointment for them.

While I can understand why he might go, I'd hardly call it a no brainer. Man U are one of the biggest clubs in the world, but so are we now. If he goes you could understand why, if he decided he'd rather see out this very exciting project at Newcastle, that wouldn't have been a huge surprise either. I think his close ties with some of the people at Man U is playing a bigger part than the reputation of Man U.

2 hours ago, morpeth mag said:

I wonder if the failure of the Tonali and Hall signings; and to an extent Livramento, have made Ashworth feel it is time to start again elsewhere.

Livramento?

If Ashworth is going to be playing with Man U money, I wonder if he'll try to buy Anthony Gordon.

He's known him since England youth and Man U could pay the wages Sancho got. He would probably also magically appear in the England team.

Realistically its 100M, so that's our FFP sorted, at the cost of our player of the season. :(:(:(:(

36 minutes ago, Stottie said:

If Ashworth is going to be playing with Man U money, I wonder if he'll try to buy Anthony Gordon.

He's known him since England youth and Man U could pay the wages Sancho got. He would probably also magically appear in the England team.

Realistically its 100M, so that's our FFP sorted, at the cost of our player of the season. :(:(:(:(

I'd take it tbf

33 minutes ago, Chapo said:

Wouldn’t trust him or them not to be in communication while on gardening leave. Take the money and let him on his way. 

Do both. They still have to compensate us if he's on gardening leave.

5 hours ago, morpeth mag said:

I wonder if the failure of the Tonali and Hall signings; and to an extent Livramento, have made Ashworth feel it is time to start again elsewhere.

Recruitment is one part of a pretty wide job spec.

Even then, it's way too early to be calling any of those players a failure. The absence of two of them in the short term has been a huge blow, but Tino and Hall have been signed with the long term in mind.

48 minutes ago, Chapo said:

Wouldn’t trust him or them not to be in communication while on gardening leave. Take the money and let him on his way. 

I was going to say this. He's apparently mates with our new part owners. He's still going to be involved and you won't get compensation. 

I'd take the money now. Better for everyone involved. 

Eddie will be licking his lips at having the summer transfer window to himself and his family members when they can't hire a replacement in time. Prepare for more English meat in that midfield.

2 minutes ago, GEFAFWISP said:

Eddie will be licking his lips at having the summer transfer window to himself and his family members when they can't hire a replacement in time. Prepare for more English meat in that midfield.

Like Bruno?

5 minutes ago, Froggy said:

I was going to say this. He's apparently mates with our new part owners. He's still going to be involved and you won't get compensation. 

That would be illegal as shit though.

6 minutes ago, Froggy said:

We’ll take the money and gardening leave.

12 minutes ago, Nobody said:

That would be illegal as shit though.

Look at Spurs and the bent fella from Juve. He’s banned from football activities and yet still acting as a consultant for them. There’s no way to police it. 

19 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Restrictive covenants / gardening leave are legal agreements. Not just a nod and a wink that they won’t be in contact with their new employer 

Any commercially sensitive dialogue at all between him and Man U people in relation to his new role will see him banged to rights by the lawyers

But you probably already know that and are just on the wind up, you pesky little scamp