Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

Man U will be fine and will inevitably compete at the top again when they get a good manager and fix their transfer policy. The rules are rigged in their favour so it’s not like anyone outside the ESL clubs is going to surpass them in the medium to long term and really push them down the table, no matter how well the clubs are run. 

21 minutes ago, Froggy said:

I'm not going to sit here and try and justify why a footballer would want to join a club like Manchester United. :lol: It doesn't really need explanation and me attempting to do so will only be seen as arrogant.

Arrogant if you do, arrogant if you don't [emoji38]

I always felt with Man United it was a matter of when not if on their rebuild. It’s a tall tall order to clear out a squad of high earning older players and then have to refresh the squad at the same time. While Ten Hag may not be the guy long term, Man United will always have a draw for any and all talented player given the history and the wages they can pay.

About time our fans took the blinders off. There’s every bit of a scenario where the PL’s top 7-8 clubs begin hoovering talent from all over Europe + South America, Asia and Africa when you factor in the analytics used today at clubs like Liverpool, Brighton and Brentford. When you consider Chelsea trying to replicate the Brighton model (likely in their own proprietary way) and then the ever changing shift that clubs like ours will also be doing as we start replicating and enhancing our scouting. 

Edited by Kanji

Willock's still mint, he's just not playing with the unbridled joy and freedom you only get from having Steve Bruce as your manager. 

Smartarse comments aside, he must have been playing further forward. His all-round play last season was great but he should score more. 

7 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

Willock's still mint, he's just not playing with the unbridled joy and freedom you only get from having Steve Bruce as your manager. 

Smartarse comments aside, he must have been playing further forward. His all-round play last season was great but he should score more. 

Heard a story via a pal who knocks about with Matty Longstaff. Matty was going on as a sub...it was along the lines of:

Assistant one: Matty, get yourself on the left side of midfield

Matty: OK

Assistant two: Matty, right side of midfield today son

Matty: Errrr. Wait. What. I thought I was going left side ?

Cabageheed: Don't worry about positions Matty, just go out and do your thing

Edited by bobbydazzla

There's lots of ingredients involved in getting young players and turning them into superstar first-teamers.

Chelsea and City have magnificent academies and mostly sell their top talents. Real have the cream of the crop and still sell most of their prospects by 24. Fantastic revenue engines for all the clubs. But clubs like ourselves are better positioned to develop young talents as we will play them

Edited by The College Dropout

7 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

Sure Willock played as a striker in Brucey’s 5-3-2. 

17 hours ago, bobbydazzla said:

Aye right, if there’s one thing Ratcliffe excels at it’s chemicals innit

Poor rider recruitment and retention, poor management retention, lost their team identity, other teams around them got better whilst Ineos floundered 

Agreed. Although their best rider crashing into a bus didn't help much either. 

52 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

Haven’t read the last couple of pages, so not sure if it’s been mentioned. But willock is joint 4th (with shearer) in the all time PL most consecutive goal scorers list. With 7 games in a row. 

better than c Ronaldo, salah. Eat them stats

4 minutes ago, FLUMPO235 said:

Haven’t read the last couple of pages, so not sure if it’s been mentioned. But willock is joint 4th (with shearer) in the all time PL most consecutive goal scorers list. With 7 games in a row. 

better than c Ronaldo, salah. Eat them stats

Celebrate Ryan Giggs GIF by Manchester United

2 hours ago, bobbydazzla said:

That the same Hojlund who barely scored a goal until a few weeks ago ? With the scale and reach of the club you'll still attract decent young players but the best of the best isn't looking at your recent history and thinking, yeah, that's the place where my career will thrive

And agree on your second point, it wouldn't be too difficult for Man Utd to rebuild compared to what NUFC are trying to do, given we're a team with little pedigree. But as it stands right now you're way behind your peer group in terms of attractiveness

Hojlund is clearly a good striker mind, I liked him as soon as I saw him score his first goal in the PL, regardless of his barren run. Everything about his finishes screams a natural.

On 20/02/2024 at 13:34, Eveready said:

This was my thoughts.

Was getting a bit confused by people saying we have to pay his full salary until he joins Man Utd (and thus should let him go to save money - maybe this is wishful thinking from Man Utd fans).  Unless football director contracts are structured completely differently to regular employment contracts.

Would assume that he has a 12 month non-compete clause in his contract and likely a lengthy notice period.

He has resigned, in which case we can accept his resignation and keep him on gardening leave (being paid) whilst his notice period is served, he will then sit around for c.12 months stuck on a non-compete clause where we will not be paying him a penny.

The reports that we can keep him off Man Utd's books until 2026 suggests to me a 12 month notice period and 12 month non-compete - this is mostly conjecture, but the notice period + non-compete must add up to 24+ months if the 2026 date is true.

At worst, our exposure to sunk PILON costs looks to be £1.5m, a immaterial amount in the grand scheme of things.

Man Utd fans think that we should bow down and let him go?  Fuck that with how they treated us with Lingard (and the player himself who had been there for decades).  Wouldn't be doing them any favours at all, £20m or let him rot for 24 months, £1.5m to pay for Man Utd to delay their restructure is nothing.

Note: My role has a lot of crossover but I do not work in employment law or HR and happily to be corrected and educated on anything I got wrong above.

Non competes kick in after the contract has ceased usually, not during, as you are still technically employed during gardening leave.

I suspect he has a 12 month notice, which both parties would have agreed to, and legally your gardening leave period and only but up to equal to your notice period. He could then start in his new role.

The non-compete would then kick at that point, which would essentially restrict him from an anti-competitive actitivies based on his role or information obtained in his current role with us, for an agreed period of time.

So Manu would essentially be paying to release him early from his notice period, not his non-compete, which is there for ongoing protection.  In reality, people can and do work around this and the onus would be on us proving he had done something wrong, which is clearly very hard to do unless you have all the necessary evidence! 

3 hours ago, sushimonster85 said:

Managers having complete control of transfers was more the norm when it was considered hasty if you sacked a manager after a couple of years. When the likes of Clough and Ferguson had total control over everything that happened at the club. 

I totally get Sporting Directors/DoFs etc now. There does need to be someone with an overarching strategy. A club should be deciding on it's principles/recruitement strategy/even general style of play and building appropriately. This should include being able to change managers with minimal desruption. We're a little different in that Howe and his core team were in place long before the sporting director and, as countless articles have pointed out, established a power base far beyond what most other head coaches have at other sides. Not dissing Howe at all, feel there have been countless positives (just look at his first 18 months) to this.

But it has now put us in this odd position where we will be looking for a Sporting Director who suits what is here now, which has largely been put in place by the head coach who, in theory, a SD could decide to sack. I love Howe, and I think he deserves a crack at going again next season. But I do worry for him with a new sporting director coming in, especially with the likes of Tuchel available in the Summer.

NUFC were actually way ahead of the game, we had a Director of football in the SBR days, Gordon Milne. That was probably more for SBR and to get the most out of him at his age rather than part of an overall strategy. But still. 

Players have turned Man United down for pre success Man City, Chelsea and Blackburn when offered enough money.

Unless there is relative chump change in it money is the prevailing factor not romantic reasons, it's why most players go anywhere and why they were scared of us and hence all these new rules otherwise just let us compete

Willock was instructed by Bruce just to get into the opposition penalty box. That, according to Willock was his only remit

2 hours ago, Interpolic said:

2 hours ago, Kanji said:

I always felt with Man United it was a matter of when not if on their rebuild. It’s a tall tall order to clear out a squad of high earning older players and then have to refresh the squad at the same time. While Ten Hag may not be the guy long term, Man United will always have a draw for any and all talented player given the history and the wages they can pay.

About time our fans took the blinders off. There’s every bit of a scenario where the PL’s top 7-8 clubs begin hoovering talent from all over Europe + South America, Asia and Africa when you factor in the analytics used today at clubs like Liverpool, Brighton and Brentford. When you consider Chelsea trying to replicate the Brighton model (likely in their own proprietary way) and then the ever changing shift that clubs like ours will also be doing as we start replicating and enhancing our scouting. 

I have to say though, I’m not convinced that Radcliffe is the one to bring it though.

He’s had to pay an absolute shit load of money just to get a minority amount, and we believe in B shares.

He came in with the whole pretence of developing OT and building a new training ground complex. He hadn’t even got his foot in the door, and he already had the begging bowl out to the government, possibly via the FA that he wants funding to build a Wembley of the North. Even if that was/is a potential avenue, with the whole nationwide problem of having potentially a year before we change governments, he can’t even go asking for the money for it yet.

This is on top of his record of being mediocre in his other sports assets, and taking a great Team Sky cycling team, and pretty much dismantling it.

3 hours ago, Interpolic said:

I think it was just one of those seasons when nothing would go in. If Willock stayed injury free for the majority of next season i could easily see him getting 10 goals. He gets into the right positions, and he has shown a finishing instinct in his first season here on loan. Can't wait to have him back in the line up, huge miss IMO.

The football club want to adding to be adding a few extra million now after those Ratcliffe quotes.

Perhaps the Monaco resident can use some of the money he’s saved up over  the last few years to pay for Ashworth.