Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

Just now, Hudson said:

Seen it mentioned in here a while ago, 

Ah - apologies - didn't realise as I rarely browse the forum these days.

Edited by Minhosa

6 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Steve Coogan Shrug GIF
So? Give us the money we want then. This isn’t a one way thing where Ratman and the media pressure us to handing over a club vision and we just meekly oblige.

On 24/02/2024 at 16:01, Minhosa said:

See there's quite a few on Twitter claiming to have heard whispers that Steve Nickson is off this summer...

Was watching a YouTube video earlier,think it was called nufc insider clip claiming ashworth had a problem with eddies nephew who’s part of the scouting team and nickson was being pushed out. They were basically saying jobs for the boys. Probably a load of shite though.

Given that Howe does not want Ashworth’s successor to have too big a say in first team men’s recruitment and the club’s English based directors appear prepared to grant that wish, Jack Ross might prove a smart replacement.

Louise Taylor in the Guardian, not a quote that inspires confidence. 

Where's the idea that Ashworth was here to have a big say in recruitment came from anyway? Didn't he say it his first lot of interviews that he's basically here to be a link between all departments making sure they're running as best as they can, be that the Women's team or someone being out on loan and having an issue.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Is she not known for stirring the shit?

Jack Ross is a new name, but the idea that Howe wants the DOF position to have less sway in first team recruitment was in the Athletic over the weekend too.

Just now, GeordieT said:

Jack Ross is a new name, but the idea that Howe wants the DOF position to have less sway in first team recruitment was in the Athletic over the weekend too.

Ah fair, got a link?

Tuned out of the Athletic for a bit, they seem to have the same content on loop recently.

Wouldnt that just make the DoF a bit redundant? I thought the idea was to have a DoF with a plan regardless of who the manager was so when the manager leaves the new one can pick up and follow the plan.

Not that keen on Howe having so much power to be honest (if true). A DoF should be planning for years ahead (I realise Ashworth wasn't), whereas a manager could be gone within a couple of months depending on results. 

29 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Not that keen on Howe having so much power to be honest (if true). A DoF should be planning for years ahead (I realise Ashworth wasn't), whereas a manager could be gone within a couple of months depending on results. 

Agree, prefer the Brighton model. If anyone leaves then they are replaced, but the system is hardly affected. If this is true and Howe gets his way, he’ll have a lot of power in his hands.

I've found this from Ornstein, not sure if it's what was being referred to:

"Ornstein: Newcastle are just starting their process, Steve, and it is more focused on what they want rather than who they want.

They will have some names in mind from England and abroad. Don’t forget they were recruiting for this position less than two years ago and plenty of that work will probably still come in handy.

They will need to decide the type of person and skill set they are looking for and then draw up candidates to fit that profile.

The owners will have their various ideas, as will other members of the hierarchy and, given the job he has done and the regard in which he is held, head coach Eddie Howe.

I’m by no means suggesting it will be his choice — and from a club point of view, it is prudent to make this their call rather than the head coach’s — but he will have input on this, as he did with Ashworth."

34 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

We can only speculate, but the Hall and Tino deals could have been Ashworth trying to do exactly that, at the significant expense of squad balance short term.

The fact Howe has hardly used our expensive summer signings and has nothing good to say about Ashworth would indicate Howe didn't have enough of a say, if anything. 

8 minutes ago, ohmelads said:

We can only speculate, but the Hall and Tino deals could have been Ashworth trying to do exactly that, at the significant expense of squad balance short term.

The fact Howe has hardly used our expensive summer signings and has nothing good to say about Ashworth would indicate Howe didn't have enough of a say, if anything. 

A manager should certainly have an input, but I still stick to my point that overall control should be with the DoF.  Club have to make sure they make the right choice though as after last summer and January windows, I was never convinced by Ashworth.

Ideally you want a DOF type trying to sign players for the future while the manager is more focused on the needs of the first team.

Issue is that Ashworth was spending huge money on these young players from Premier League clubs, not unearthing the likes of Caicedo and MacAllister like he was at Brighton. Neither of those two cost a pittance, they were decent money given the leagues they came from. But a far cry from what you pay shopping for young English players who have impressed in PL action.

Minteh is really the only signing we made in that bracket under Ashworth. We tried for a few others like Santos and Perrone but couldn't get those deals done.

Really not liking some of these stories at the minute. The manager/head coach should not be the leading voice on recruitment and they certainly shouldn’t have any input into who their boss should be. 

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

Ah fair, got a link?

Tuned out of the Athletic for a bit, they seem to have the same content on loop recently.

Struggling to find it - can’t recall which piece it was in. But it wasn’t the Ornstein Q&A, albeit that does further insinuate the power dynamic at play. 

All the manager should have input on is, the type of player/position they want (which is still restricted to a certain criteria as club will have a primary identity it will want to stick too), everyone does their thing to source potential targets, manager then having final sign off on that player (if it’s a first teamer). Doubt they should on youth signings, which is where Hall may have fell under.

Like I doubt Howe pinpointed Tonali as the one he wanted, but it would’ve been a CM he wanted, then Tonali was presented with overall package, then Howe provided final agreement. 

May be odd signing over the years, where manager explicitly states he wants X player because of encounters/agent links, but should be the rarity rather than the norm, and only if the deal is financially sound. Giving power more often to managers for those always ends up bad. 

Edited by Sibierski