Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

1 minute ago, Joelinton7 said:

They seem to think they’re still massive (they are commercially, not on the pitch) and that we’re trying to bask in their “massiveness glow” for relevance by starting a war with them. No, you tapped up our DOF and want him for much less than his worth to us. He’s taking all of our future plans and club secrets with him. IMO that’s easily worth £15-£20m. Can’t believe I forgot how detestable these chumps can be. It’s just gotten worse with social media. 

100% - he knows our plans for next few seasons, player's wages etc - everything - hence I'd make him rot for as long as possible even if it meant us not receiving a penny!

19 minutes ago, Paully said:

100% - he knows our plans for next few seasons, player's wages etc - everything - hence I'd make him rot for as long as possible even if it meant us not receiving a penny!

If we get the £20m then I'd take that, as it could buy a £50-60m player under FFP. Anything less and I agree - it's not worth it bearing in mind they are our closest league competitors over the last two seasons and Ashworth will have lots of intel (which becomes less and less relevant the longer he's on gardening leave).

Probably why we've set the fee at that level and I think they (both Man U and Ashworth) may have misjudged this. There's certainly no real incentive in us letting him go for under £10 million so if they weren't prepared to go even that high they've put themselves in a difficult position.

2 hours ago, Paully said:

We’re screwing up all of their plans they had for this summer, they hate it, and there’s nothing they can do about it. 

Edited by Joelinton7

If I had to guess on the position it would be that Ashworth has a 12 month notice and then a 6 month restrictive covenant to stop him working for a rival during that time, meaning he wouldn’t be able to join Man Utd until just before the January 2026 window.

If that is the case then his angle at arbitration should be that the covenant isn’t fair, as they are only enforceable if inserted to protect legitimate business interests and extend no further than is reasonably necessary to protect those interests.

I think he could make a reasonable argument that this isn’t the case, meaning he could leave and work for Man Utd when his contract ends, which he will see as a move to making negotiations easier.

I am still not sure that the club would do a deal under those circumstances, if anything they will double down.

1 hour ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Listen, right, FUCK that club. Fuck the Glazers. Fuck Jim Boy. Fuck that rat face cunt.

They played hardball over Lingard. Now it’s time for a taste of their own medicine. 

And fuck @Froggy too

:lol:

2 hours ago, Matt1892 said:

If I had to guess on the position it would be that Ashworth has a 12 month notice and then a 6 month restrictive covenant to stop him working for a rival during that time, meaning he wouldn’t be able to join Man Utd until just before the January 2026 window.

If that is the case then his angle at arbitration should be that the covenant isn’t fair, as they are only enforceable if inserted to protect legitimate business interests and extend no further than is reasonably necessary to protect those interests.

I think he could make a reasonable argument that this isn’t the case, meaning he could leave and work for Man Utd when his contract ends, which he will see as a move to making negotiations easier.

I am still not sure that the club would do a deal under those circumstances, if anything they will double down.

I think a 6 month covenant has a good chance of being seen as reasonable, especially if it was restricts to premier league clubs.

if it was 6 months notice and 12 months restriction or worldwide then it may well be seen as restricting his ability to work

2 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

I think a 6 month covenant has a good chance of being seen as reasonable, especially if it was restricts to premier league clubs.

if it was 6 months notice and 12 months restriction or worldwide then it may well be seen as restricting his ability to work

It may not even be the entire premier league, just "direct competitors" within it i.e the cartel 6, Villa, & West Ham possibly.  As you say have to be careful with RC's as they can be challenged if deemed unreasonable  

3 hours ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Listen, right, FUCK that club. Fuck the Glazers. Fuck Jim Boy. Fuck that rat face cunt.

They played hardball over Lingard. Now it’s time for a taste of their own medicine. 

And fuck @Froggy too. 

I gave a thumbs up but Froggy is ok deep down.  He winds me up a lot but I also wind him up.  He often makes me swear, (cough).  Leave Froggy out of the hate and I agree with most of your post.

2 hours ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

I think the argument from Ashworth’s camp will be that the covenant isn’t reasonable, as to be enforceable it should not be longer than is reasonably necessary to protect those interests.

They will likely argue that it won’t protect any business interests, as Ashworth has already been out of the loop regarding company business due to him

being on gardening leave for the previous 12 months before leaving the company.

All guesswork by the way.

On 25/04/2024 at 18:50, 54 said:

@Heron

Next season, when we play Man United at home, can we get a massive banner saying 

"Loyalty is earned" with a big banner of whoever our new Sporting Director is.

Can certainly ask

Give him a lobotomy and pass him on for a tube of smarties - he is a disingenuous twat and I hope the fleas of a thousand camels infest his arse from now until the day he rots. But seriously we will get what WE believe he is worth on OUR timescale - and I love to see us not being played for fools.  

Edited by cannybagoftudor

8 hours ago, 54 said:

Man Utd are fuckin pricks trying to get him for £2m when we paid £4m. hope this drags on and on and derails their rebuild 

enjoy the scruffy Mike Ashley 

21 hours ago, et tu brute said:

I might be totally wrong, but I think it came down to the summer transfer window. I said after it had ended it had been a poor window. As I've said many times, in our current placement, we needed to concentrate on recruitment of 'first team' players. Players replaced then become squad players, which automatically improves the squad. This didn't happen, and my opinion is that this was down to Ashworth, and Howe wasn't happy.. 

See I disagreed with this at the time and still do. The squad is going to be a bit imbalanced for a couple of years yet while we get rid of the legacy Ashley era players and replace them. We probably wanted a RW, but the long term replacement for Trippier became available for example. 

We could have probably spent £30-40m on a RW if we wanted but only if it was the right one. Let's say we'd spent on someone we didn't particularly want to, in two years time we'd then be still wanting a first choice RW but would also be needing to buy a first choice RB to replace Trippier for example. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

1 hour ago, gdm said:

Man Utd are fuckin pricks trying to get him for £2m when we paid £4m. hope this drags on and on and derails their rebuild 

enjoy the scruffy Mike Ashley 

Not sure what angle they are trying with arbitration but if we had to pay £4m and he's done so well that the mighty man utd want him then sure be default we would be looking at a sizable profit on our investment. I'd argue taking him should cost at least every penny we spent Inc wages as a starting point. Why should we make a loss ffs

3 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Not sure what angle they are trying with arbitration but if we had to pay £4m and he's done so well that the mighty man utd want him then sure be default we would be looking at a sizable profit on our investment. I'd argue taking him should cost at least every penny we spent Inc wages as a starting point. Why should we make a loss ffs

We won’t! Hope the public tapping up is taken into consideration.

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

See I disagreed with this at the time and still do. The squad is going to be a bit imbalanced for a couple of years yet while we get rid of the legacy Ashley era players and replace them. We probably wanted a RW, but the long term replacement for Trippier became available for example. 

We could have probably spent £30-40m on a RW if we wanted but only if it was the right one. Let's say we'd spent on someone we didn't particularly want to, in two years time we'd then be still wanting a first choice RW but would also be needing to buy a first choice RB to replace Trippier for example. 

I've always believed you upgrade your first team first and then the squad will automatically improve. I respect your opinion though, just disagree.

26 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

Now we've got our own media gaslighting us

The chronicle having the worst website experience I have ever witnessed calling out the reputation of somebody else? That is peak

I don't particularly care about Ashworth leaving, he's entitled to leave and go to a job he'd prefer if he wants, like most of us will have done at some point.

It does feel like Man U are low-balling on the fee if the reports of £2milion offers are true. I mean, they can low-ball in negotiations if they want, but it's pretty unreasonable of them to get pissy about us publicly at the same time.

Given we'd paid £4/5 million for him a couple of years ago (I've seen varying figures) using that amount as a starting point seem reasonable. Then you've perhaps got additional compensation payments for things like - money we're having to pay him to tend his garden. Essentially compensating for the money we invested in him [not for wages spend when he actually did some work].

Then there's more intangible amounts like compensation for the disruption to our business due to him leaving, and also for an employee with detailed knowledge of our business strategy joining a direct rival. That's one of the big reason behind the existance of gardening leave after all.

Anyway, don't know exactly how I'd calculate it exactly but I'd make the sum as something like...

Spoiler

ONE MILLION DOLLARS!

Edited by Checko