Dan Ashworth: released from contractual obligations after agreement reached between Newcastle and Man Utd (Official)

Rich

this whole PSR comment. 

if they are using that line already, does it not mean its a boost to the new financial year/years, rather than scraping it through the last one?  

like say we got 15m for him, thats 15m better off on this round already?  

or am i still completely lost with this whole thing? 

Just now, Chris L said:

this whole PSR comment. 

if they are using that line already, does it not mean its a boost to the new financial year/years, rather than scraping it through the last one?  

Depends when the agreement is made and funds paid I guess.

1 minute ago, Chris L said:

this whole PSR comment. 

If a deal was agreed yesterday, even if it completed today I think they can put it through last year's accounts.

There were some question marks as to whether we'd comply even after Minteh and Anderson, but it sounds like this might guarantee it if they put it through last year's accounts instead of this.

For what it's worth, if he hadn't been placed on gardening leave in Feb and was in role, I doubt we would have gotten as manic a situation as this weekend. 
He is a bit more far removed from the squad, and so can be a bit colder and more ruthless. He wasn't budging with Joelinton's contract, he could have gotten rid of him. Same with others. With Wilson, or Trippier etc he may have accepted less to get rid, and save on the wages too. The point is, it would have been in his remit, and his neck on the line to ensure we meet PSR.  
Part of this crisis is having your main guy in charge of this metric leave and not be replaced adequately or in time. 

5 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Glad a line is being drawn under this, anything more than what we paid Brighton is a bonus.

I am still not sure what he actually did in his time here.

The Athletic did an indepth article of what he's done for you. The guy is clearly quality at his job. 

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

The Athletic did an indepth article of what he's done for you. The guy is clearly quality at his job. 

Guy was trying to make Gary Neville England manager, you’re welcome to him.

1 minute ago, Bunk Moreland said:

Downie says we're 'pleased with the conclusion' so persumably we did get a decent fee.

Suggests it was a 30/6 rather than 1/7 deal. I imagine there will be a lot of briefing propaganda over who got the better deal. Dick swinging and big egos to appease after all…

9 minutes ago, Froggy said:

I read it at the time and know he helped upgrade the training ground from the days of a plunge pool being a garden waste bin.

I am not talking down his abilities, I just don’t think he has left any sort of legacy in his time here for things he has drastically improved.

1 minute ago, Zero said:

What’s concerning to me is, it sounds like the club didn’t appoint or defer Ashworths duties to someone, and that kinda leads to the PSR crisis we were having.

Eales was picking up the slack on the executive side. 

2 minutes ago, FLUMPO235 said:

Sky sports have just spun it as great for manure, we needed the psr help or were in trouble. 

So take it as the opposite. :)

SkySports report positively about us? :lol: First I've heard. If they're spinning it as good for us, it's great for us.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Ah, so it's gone from being a £20 million black hole, to £40 million, to £70 million plus. Righteo.

Reckon the club are spinning this narrative so we don't get ripped off on transfers to be honest. Having a £70M black hole is mental.

1 minute ago, Zero said:

What’s concerning to me is, it sounds like the club didn’t appoint or defer Ashworths duties to someone, and that kinda leads to the PSR crisis we were having.

The only way we could avoid the issues of PSR is by selling players and he was actively working for us through the January window.