Nick Pope

Rich

We'd have to totally change the way we play at the back if we were to get De Gea.  He's always rooted to his line. 

Can't see it.  Just seems like a lazy and obvious link.

Edited by Lush Vlad

I'm really torn on that. De Gea is such a hit or miss for me. When he is a hit, he is an amazing shot stopper. When he is a miss, he is worse than Dubravka. At the same time, playing at Man United with a defence that was so dodgy for many years didn't help much. He did have the most clean sheets in the Prem last season though.

Edited by Erikse

Rather stick with Dubravka than go for DDG.

He didn't do a lot wrong to warrant losing his number 1 spot, it was only because Pope was better in all areas.

Give him a chance, he's been extremely professional since losing his place. 

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’d feel more confident with De Gea and Dubs for the second half of the season, rather than Dubs and Karius. 

Be a non starter because De gea won’t take a short term deal imo.

Depends, better for him than nothing I suppose? He would stay in shape and prove his worth for other clubs to see.

Edited by Erikse

Finding and integrating the right keeper mid season is a gamble. There’s been more than a few hyped, expensive keepers flop in the PL in recent years.. the issue is that Dubs is injury prone also and this is an older version of him that hasn’t had regular football for a while now. Time will tell, we’ll have a good idea of how this pans out before the window even opens. 

Edited by Nine

this is nonsense.

watch out for season long injury fro Bruno or Gordon vs Everton.

complete fuckin nonsense.

I think all these injuries will stop us getting the CL place unless we make the Saudi loans lined up for January.

16 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

I'd absolutely take De Gea, he's a better goalkeeper than Dubravka.

Few years ago yes. Now im not sure. Dubravka is probably a lot fitter than De Gea also. De Gea made a lot of mistakes in his last season. Dubravka also plays for his national team. So hes not just a bench player for months.

Plus any money we spend on loans/short term deals now is money we can't spend buying more lovely lovely footballers permanently.

That said, if there's a significant upgrade to be had it could be well worth it. A couple of points dropped here and there could be the difference between Champions League or not. I can't image there's a ton of top class keepers going at a reasonable rate midseason though.

For now, we've got 7 games before the January transfer window, so should be time for Dubs to get up to speed and show his level. He was a good keeper before & I imagine giving your reserves a fair crack when they get an opportunity is important to keep them motivated.

Even if we're happy with Dubs' performance though you'd still expect us to do due dilligence on what other options are available.

Edited by Checko

I wouldn't go for a short fix with De Gea given his wages and his lack of desire to already have a club. Either bring the plan forward to get a new #1 if we can make it work FFP wise or stick with what we've got, both current options are solid keepers. 

Have complete faith in Karius as our backup keeper, and I'll bet Howe does too - otherwise I have no idea why we extended his contract, the club clearly think he's good enough to step into the backup role if required.

Hope we don't go for De Gea tbh