Nick Pope

Rich

We definitely need someone in as an injury to Dubravka is going to leave us badly exposed.

His injury record is below…

IMG_5602.thumb.jpeg.7d1a25ef2e2b7d5e9fc9c63632f5500e.jpeg

Are people saying De Gea is finished because he is without a club? Also, he isn’t going to get the wages he was on unless he goes to Saudi and he has apparently turned down a move there, so I don’t think he would be getting anywhere near that.

We either get someone short term which he would be the obvious choice or we bring forward a move for a new keeper, which could be difficult mid season with us maybe not having the money to spend due to FFP and the selling club not wanting to sell mid season.

Can’t see us signing a GK in January. However, I think the summer will be looked at as a time to see if the right player comes available. I’m very happy with Pope but is this his third bad injury to that shoulder? Does anyone have an idea of similar goalkeeping injuries and whether it could actually limit his game in the future or make him more injury prone? If so, I can’t imagine we’ll be sitting on our arses

Mildly concerning this is the 2nd time Pope has had this shoulder issue, and it's a recurrence after it was surgically repaired.

Presumably the first time he had a bankart repair, which involves drilling into the shoulder with pins. It's not really something you want to do multiple times as you get bone loss and risk of arthritis.

Sure he's in the very best hands and all will be well. I've heard of something called 'latarjet repair' which you get after recurrence after bankart repair.

Source: I've had a bankart repair and they mentioned that a recurrence of dislocation afterwards is quite messy to clean up. Not least in a contact athlete.

4 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

We definitely need someone in as an injury to Dubravka is going to leave us badly exposed.

His injury record is below…

IMG_5602.thumb.jpeg.7d1a25ef2e2b7d5e9fc9c63632f5500e.jpeg

Are people saying De Gea is finished because he is without a club? Also, he isn’t going to get the wages he was on unless he goes to Saudi and he has apparently turned down a move there, so I don’t think he would be getting anywhere near that.

We either get someone short term which he would be the obvious choice or we bring forward a move for a new keeper, which could be difficult mid season with us maybe not having the money to spend due to FFP and the selling club not wanting to sell mid season.

What's the point of having Karius and Gillespie if we NEED to get someone in, in the event that Dubs MAY get injured. Why would they want to be here if they knew they wouldnt even get a chance if the player in front of them was unavailable?

Should we just scrap having a squad all together and just buy/loan replacements when needed?

29 minutes ago, TaylorJ_01 said:

Mildly concerning this is the 2nd time Pope has had this shoulder issue, and it's a recurrence after it was surgically repaired.

Presumably the first time he had a bankart repair, which involves drilling into the shoulder with pins. It's not really something you want to do multiple times as you get bone loss and risk of arthritis.

Sure he's in the very best hands and all will be well. I've heard of something called 'latarjet repair' which you get after recurrence after bankart repair.

Source: I've had a bankart repair and they mentioned that a recurrence of dislocation afterwards is quite messy to clean up. Not least in a contact athlete.

It was classed as a minor op when he was at Burnley. He almost didn't have it done.

On 03/12/2023 at 10:27, The College Dropout said:

Hope it’s not a season ender. 

Dubs will have to try and play like Pope. He needs to aggressively sweep up and claim crosses more. 

and make sure his kicking goes to shit

5 hours ago, The Butcher said:

Said absolutely no one?

Look on the previous pages. One person talking about an end of season wave goodbye to the fans, another talking about him getting replaced.  

6 hours ago, Minhosa said:

Think we'd need to soon enough anyway if we've got ambitions to look at competing for the title.

He's a really really good keeper but he'll never be elite for me.

He's fine for where we are now and he's been a great buy for the £10m or whatever it was we spent on him but we need better if we're serious about challenging imho.

6 hours ago, Displayname said:

Lets just keep playing like we did against Man utd. He didnt have much to do there :)

Even though I think Pope have been an important part of getting us to where we are now, I also think he was up for replacement soon enough. Need a keeper who is better with his feets going forward.

Awful timing though. Feel bad for him :(

6 hours ago, Gottlob said:

It's a shame it has to be this way, but the best we can probably hope for now is that he heals up well, comes on as a sub for a round of applause in the last game of the season, then proves fit enough for us to sell on in the summer for a handsome profit. It's like Lord Byron said, 'Fare thee well, Nick Pope! And if for ever, still for ever fare thee well'.

6 hours ago, Wilson said:

I've been of the opinion that we'd be replacing Pope in the next year or so for a while. 

Wouldn't be too surprised if we are linked with a few in the summer now. 

7 hours ago, Laviofies said:

Unlucky Pope 

Still laughing at how weird that first paragraph is

It's up there with the "although his name sounds similar he's no relation to Vurnon Anita" line

Guest reefatoon
6 hours ago, OCK said:

Wish someone would sell his fucking keyboard

Hoy him on ignore, it makes the place absolute bliss.

Big blow for Pope and us, no getting away from it. He hasn't had a great season imo, looking v uncomfortable and nowhere near as good as he was for the first 6 months of last season but we'll still miss him. If it's that bad we may not even register him in Jan tbh, opens up a place in the squad for another keeper, maybe de Gea, or another midfielder or forward. We're really stretched now and the same players are being asked to go again and again and are going to run themselves into the ground eventually.

There's no obvious solution as once we get to Feb then they'll nearly all be back. Fixtures are relentless