Nick Pope: "on track" for return before end of season (Hope)

Rich

4 minutes ago, CPL said:

He also played with the likes of Bramble and Boumsong. Pope is playing in arguably our best ever defence in my lifetime. I am 34. Will have to be solid for a couple more seasons or win a trophy before he eclipses Shay Given for me. 

It's a fair point about Bramble etc, but there were still times when crosses came in and Given just couldn't come and claim the ball to take the pressure off the defence.

I'm 33 and i had a ST with my dad at the time, only about 12-15 years old but i can remember, he made some unreal saves but didn't command the box.

3 minutes ago, CPL said:

He also played with the likes of Bramble and Boumsong. Pope is playing in arguably our best ever defence in my lifetime. I am 34. Will have to be solid for a couple more seasons or win a trophy before he eclipses Shay Given for me. 

It still doesn’t sit right with me that people use Bramble as an example of shit defenders in front of Shay. He was a good CB 2 games out of 3 before the inevitable brain fart. He also scored 2 goals that got us into Europe. Andy O’Brien / Caldwell etc were just shit full stop.

4 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

In my lifetime we’ve never had a keeper who could be considered in the top 4 or 5 in the league or higher. And you’d be confident he could start for almost any club as well as England. Think Pope has to be the best. 

What's funny is when Newcastle were linked with Pope people said "We're gonna sign Burnley's keeper?" I did it too.

Thought he was good but never realized how great he actually is.

3 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

I do think Pope is a better keeper than Given, must admit.

I’m in those ranks, too.  I’m ready with the steel helmet, but I always thought Given had too many weaknesses to be a top keeper.  Pope seems to have few weaknesses and the back line look so confident knowing he’s behind them 

15 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

It still doesn’t sit right with me that people use Bramble as an example of shit defenders in front of Shay. He was a good CB 2 games out of 3 before the inevitable brain fart. He also scored 2 goals that got us into Europe. Andy O’Brien / Caldwell etc were just shit full stop.

You've been trying to argue this point for like 16 years :lol: 2 games out of 3 is extremely generous by my remembering of it. 2/3rds of every match maybe 

14 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Andy O’Brien > Bramble but neither very good 🙂 Bramble’s high’s we’re much higher than O’Brien’s but my god his lows… At least one per game. Woodgate helped massively but he was disaster waiting to happen. O’Brien never had a 9-10/10 game and possibly struggled even to hit a 8/10 but he rarely dropped from 6.5-7.5/10. 

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

You've been trying to argue this point for like 16 years :lol: 2 games out of 3 is extremely generous by my remembering of it. 2/3rds of every match maybe 

I know, need to give it up. Just think he gets a far worse rap than deserved. Easy target.

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Andy O’Brien > Bramble but neither very good 🙂 Bramble’s high’s we’re much higher than O’Brien’s but my god his lows… At least one per game. Woodgate helped massively but he was disaster waiting to happen. O’Brien never had a 9-10/10 game and possibly struggled even to hit a 8/10 but he rarely dropped from 6.5-7.5/10. 

But who put the ball in the makems net ?

3 minutes ago, LFEE said:

O’Brien was absolutely shit. Terrible on the ball, slow as fuck, too often and easily made a mug of. 

Titus was absolutely class when he wasn't fucking up, but that was far too regular. Would rate him over O'brien though who was pretty consistently mediocre.

Given was very good from my memory, over many years and was playing with a worse defence. Pope has been faultless but has to do it over a longer period to look at eclipsing Given (could well do though).

Edited by Inferior Acuña

Just now, Inferior Acuña said:

Titus was absolutely class when he wasn't fucking up, but that was far too regular. Would rate him over O'brien though who was pretty consistently mediocre.

Given was very good from my memory, over many years and was playing with a worse defence. Pope has to do it over a longer period to look at eclipsing Given (could well do though).

Titus was unlucky as well. He could play 99% of a game fantastically but that 1% would be clownlike and cost a goal. He got away with nowt (on the pitch)

6 minutes ago, madras said:

Titus was unlucky as well. He could play 99% of a game fantastically but that 1% would be clownlike and cost a goal. He got away with nowt (on the pitch)

Why is that unlucky, it just not being very good.

1 minute ago, IzzyIsak said:

Why is that unlucky, it just not being very good.

Just that other players didn't seem to get punished for every mistake. His first half V Arsenal when he got Bergkamp subbed at half time is possibly the best 45min centre half performance I've seen at SJP.

1 hour ago, CPL said:

Still would pick Pickford ahead of Pope. He has that big game experience and is better with his feet suiting England's style. In addition, I don't think Pope would cope with the extra pressure being England's number one as shown from the last friendly. 

:lol: