Nick Pope: "on track" for return before end of season (Hope)

Rich

2 minutes ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Struggling to think of a better one off save from a NUFC goalkeeper than that from yesterday. 

Always though Given’s Vs Phillips at the their place was the top one, but yesterday’s was better as the reaction time was next to nil.

yeah an instinctive stop. the bloke is quality 

Was going to say hope so, but then realised that’s not necessarily a positive thing! Soooo, hope they’re long serving flawlessly outstanding cup and title (why not…)  winning presence is only ever equalled in future. There. Gods of fickle fate Jinxism pacified.

44 minutes ago, Paully said:

NEEK POPE!

Yes bruvva!

I'd like this incorporated on a flag plz @Heron

In all seriousness, I hope Wor Flags have him in mind for an upcoming display, because his achievements so far this season are nothing short of phenomenal. 

Pope clearly has the better defence in front of him and has only been here half a season. But he does command his box so much better and his shot stopping seems just as good as Given’s. Given did have a tendency to struggle due to his height imo. He was pretty short for a goalkeeper. 

However, Given had a dreadful defence in front of him, even when we were good :lol:

Bernard     O’Brien/Dabizas/Cauldwell/Woodgate/Bramble/Boumsong        Griffin/Hughes

:harry:

My gut says Pope is a better keeper. But like others have said it might take another 18 months for it to be unequivocal.

1 hour ago, NEEJ said:

I'd like this incorporated on a flag plz @Heron

In all seriousness, I hope Wor Flags have him in mind for an upcoming display, because his achievements so far this season are nothing short of phenomenal. 

We did a back 5 one not too long back because tbh it's the whole defensive unit that needed celebrating. I think after Liverpool (h) and hopefully a cup final some more individual stuff might come about though.

3 hours ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Struggling to think of a better one off save from a NUFC goalkeeper than that from yesterday. 

Always though Given’s Vs Phillips at the their place was the top one, but yesterday’s was better as the reaction time was next to nil.

It rarely gets mentioned but Given's save vs Defoe in our 1-0 FA Cup win against Spurs around 2005 was absolutely ridiculous in real time. Watching from the Gallowgate there was a sea of players, the ball dropped to Defoe about 10 yards out, he blasts it top left corner, then seemingly out of nowhere, Given appears what seemed fully horizontal above everyone's head height and palmed it away. It was unbelievable.

11 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

It still doesn’t sit right with me that people use Bramble as an example of shit defenders in front of Shay. He was a good CB 2 games out of 3 before the inevitable brain fart. He also scored 2 goals that got us into Europe. Andy O’Brien / Caldwell etc were just shit full stop.

Tbh, unless I’m remembering it with nettle tinted spectacles, I recall Bramble having a ‘moment’ every game. It’s just the opposition wasn’t always good enough to capitalise. When they weren’t half bad, his lapses would be very costly. 
Unfortunately you can’t build anything with unreliability like that. 
6 foot of him was great. The top 2 inches were just fallible enough.

Just now, Lotus said:

Tbh, unless I’m remembering it with nettle tinted spectacles, I recall Bramble having a ‘moment’ every game. It’s just the opposition wasn’t always good enough to capitalise. When they weren’t half bad, his lapses would be very costly. 
Unfortunately you can’t build anything with unreliability like that. 
6 foot of him was great. The top 2 inches were just fallible enough.

It wasn't every game but when they happened they were calamitous and always cost a goal.

Are there any stats on how many goals come from a keeper’s distribution? I’m guessing it’s very low. Similarly, how many goals are conceded by poor distribution (and, how many are from keepers who think they can play)?

Pope is going to earn us perhaps 10

points a season in this form. He’s made a couple of fumbles and let in 1 dodgy goal from memory. 

Can’t underestimate how much we’ve benefited in getting him

in ahead of Henderson and in place of Dubs. IMO, Dubs gets nowhere near that shot. 

Never thought he'd be as much of an improvement as he has been. Been as essential to our defensive record as the rest of the back 4. Class.

2 hours ago, Paullow said:

Has he actually made an obvious mistake for us? The only one I can really think of is the goal against Brentford which went through him, but didn't really matter as it was ruled out for offside anyway.

He flapped a bit at Liverpool's winner at Anfield iirc, but like fuck am I watching the highlights of that again so I may be remembering it wrong. :lol:

1 hour ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Never thought he'd be as much of an improvement as he has been. Been as essential to our defensive record as the rest of the back 4. Class.

He flapped a bit at Liverpool's winner at Anfield iirc, but like fuck am I watching the highlights of that again so I may be remembering it wrong. :lol:

A few have mentioned this to me. There was a tiny window where I feel like he could have cleared through the lot and got to it. But wouldn’t even guarantee he would have stopped a goal or big chance. There were a lot of players in the way and it was like a split second where he could have went for it. 

Ramsdale tried that today and fucked it massively. Pope did it for Burnley last season when Wilson scored.